Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"THE WATCHMEN" MOVIE - FINALLY?

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, July 26, 2007, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on July 01, 2009, 12:52:18 PM
I do wish they had gone with the squid ending though, make it multiple squid in each of the cities and blame it on them detecting Dr. Manhattan's activity on Mars.
I respectfully disagree. It was the only bit of the book that I didn't like, and although the film ballsed up quite a bit, they nailed the ending, I thought.

Angst in my Pants

More novelty packaging!  Only this time... not as good!

bestbuy.com exclusives:

amazon.de exclusive:

hmv.co.uk exclusive:

This article and interview with Zack Snyder suggests that there will be a further, even longer release around Christmas with different special features.

QuoteThough WB confirmed that an "Ultimate Edition" will be hitting later (around Christmas), Snyder emphasized that the July edition's features won't be repeated and that the later release will be a more or less "movie-only" version, incorporating the "Black Freighter" footage back into the film. Though the later set's running time will be the longest version possible, Snyder's preferred cut will be the version hitting July 21st and that that version will contain the greatest special features. While the "Ultimate" version will not include the walk-ons, it will have an exclusive audio-only commentary.

QuoteCS/SSH!: Is there already something special in mind for the Ultimate Edition?
Snyder: I don't know. There's this version that's coming out that's my cut and then the version that comes out at Christmas is basically "The Black Freighter" version which is probably a much-simpler giant movie release but without the walk-ons and everything. It'll be the only way to see that version of the movie. So if you're a fan of the complete experience, you'll have a chance to see it.

I wish I'd hated the film, this is going to prove quite expensive! 
Especially since I don't have a Bluray player yet...

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on July 01, 2009, 01:49:26 PM
Especially since I don't have a Bluray player yet...

That's okay, you're unlikely to ever need one as they'll be superceded long before 95% of the population realise that DVDs are on the way out. Just buy the nice packaging and watch the DVD.

Angst in my Pants

Ye gods!  This is a scan of an insert found in the Region 1 Director's Cut.  FIVE discs, if you please!

Famous Mortimer

There were so many viral videos made they'd probably take a whole disc on their own, so I don't mind this.

no_offenc

And will that be coming out in the UK (unlike, it would seem, the Director's Cut)?

Angst in my Pants

I still can't find anything online to suggest that it would be released in the UK.

I'd hoped the Ultimate edition would have at least two of the three versions (theatrical, director's cut and 'Black Freighter' version) but evidently not.

As desperately keen as I am to get hold of any DVD on the release date, I think this is one occassion where I'll just wait until I know what else is coming out. 

Until then I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Region 2 'Fucking Hell!' Edition, with all the extras, and in a full-scale Doctor Manhattan 'Cock and Balls' casing.  Oh yes.

It would appear that the Ultimate Cut is now on "general release".

Angst in my Pants

Oh yes!  Still looking like Region 1 only, unless you know otherwise waste of chops?

Disc 1:
• Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut Film
• Audio Commentary with Zack Snyder and Dave Gibbons
Disc 2: Over 3 Hours of Special Features
• The Phenomenon: The Comic that Changed Comics
• Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes
• Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World
• Watchmen: Video Journals
• My Chemical Romance Desolation Row
• Under The Hood
• Story Within A Story: The Books of Watchmen

Disc 3: Digital Copy of the Theatrical Version
Disc 4 and 5: Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comics

glitch

Anyone got any good links for the above? Amazon aren't giving any details away...

Angst in my Pants

Ignatius_S

Quote from: glitch on November 05, 2009, 10:44:29 AM
Anyone got any good links for the above? Amazon aren't giving any details away...

The only stuff I've read, at best, give the details as per above - I suspect that this is so far the promotional release information that's come out. CD WOW! are flogging it over here, but the site gives very little information.

A little while ago, I read a couple of user comments on one site or blog saying that Snyder has criticised this release publicly as the studio just trying to milk punters as much as possible - also, they said that this version of the film was meant to have been in the ordinary DVD release of Watchmen, which rings a bell.

Cerys

QuoteINCLUDES TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER

MojoJojo

I was going to say that the changed ending means it doesn't make much sense having the Black Freighter in it... but then I remembered it never had much direct relevance to the plot anyway.

Santa's Boyfriend

Shit front cover.  Couldn't they just use the smiley face?

Blumf

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on November 05, 2009, 05:05:07 PM
Shit front cover.  Couldn't they just use the smiley face?

There's some kind of copyright/trade mark issue with the smiley face logo. Blame the French.

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on November 05, 2009, 10:41:23 AM
Oh yes!  Still looking like Region 1 only, unless you know otherwise waste of chops?

Haven't heard anything myself, but we're only just getting the Director's Cut at the end of the month so if it does get a UK release then I doubt we'll see it for a few months. Of course, there's always the possibility of importing it (DVD region coding isn't a problem these days and all the previous Watchmen Blu-Rays have been region-free so fingers crossed the Ultimate Cut will be the same) but it won't be cheap; the DVD is just under £18 from amazon.com so you won't get hit for customs and duty if you import it (comes to ~£22 all-in) but the Blu-Ray is just over the customs limit, so you might get lucky if you order it but then again, I don't know how much customs fees are these days; it would come to ~£23 delivered so if customs and duty adds less than around a tenner then that's still cheaper than customs-free retailers like Movietyme and Axelmusic who are selling it for £35.

hummingofevil

Only 9 years too late for this but just finally watched the film having re-read book and whilst I quite enjoyed it the musical director on it needs a good Intrinsic Field réduction. Bob Dylan more than overstays it's welcome, 99 Red Balloons is naff-as-fuck and Sound of Silence is as hack as it comes. I did rather enjoy the comedy Hallelujah sex-scene.

My main issue was how awful the bit in Veidt's base is where they play an oh-so-clever/FUCKING-AWFUL-SPOILER of Tears For Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World that sounds like the world's smartest man has left Magic FM on in the background.

Did anyone else spot it?

Ferris

I really liked this film, and have seen it over 1 times!

Would like to see it again as it has been nearly a decade (eep!) since I saw it.