Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kidnap!

Started by Abbie, April 02, 2004, 09:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbie

Here's looking at you Rou Rou:

This article has made my night - it's raised me from my flu induced lethargy and cracked a smile.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1184233,00.html

So some bitter art students have lifted "The Drinker" and are demanding a ransom for it's return. The reason?  Banksy tried to charge them £175 for a signature (allegedly).  "The Drinker" is currently bound and gaged and no doubt holed up in some student digs (probably wearing a bra) in east London.

QuoteBanksy, it has to be said, does not sound distraught. Is he willing to pay a ransom? "It depends how much they're asking, I suppose." He pauses. "Actually, I'm quite glad to be shot of him. The thing is, I live in a flat so I've not really got space - it's three and a half tonnes, you know."

QuoteLate on Monday, the phone rings. It's Banksy. "I've had a think about it. I'm willing to give them £2.....

Best article ever.

mr rou-rou

viral marketing, and you're his little bitch

Will AK47 get any publicity out of this*, a sort of fame-jacking, out sensationalise the sensationalist? I doubt it, if they are genuine then they have committed a crime, it will be his mates bumping up his stock value.

the boys done good and I continue to enjoy his work, I find the quote on the back of one of his books to be the pinch of salt that the media often fails to take along with his work.

'superficially his work looks deep bit it's actually deeply superficial'

edit, re AK47, I mean publicity for their cause, what's their art like etc...

Kingboy_D

I was actually present when the scamps stole the article in question, watching the drama unfold sitting in Subway scoffing a roll. You can see a couple of the photos I took here:

The thiefs in action

An 'art terrorist' hiding from my camera

In fact I was recorded by the thiefs on their camcorder as they carried out the deed, they claimed they were "art terrorists" or some such bollocks, and didn't seem to realise the parallels to the overthrow of Saddam when I mentoned it to them (it was near the anniversary of the war). King Mob, PT etc can probably verify my story as I bored them with this anecdote on the mini-meet.

Forward thinking, I also took a photos of the escape vehicle's number plate. Is there a reward involved? ;-)

P.S If they were art student they were aging ones.  The looked like they were in their mid thirties.

mr rou-rou

fantastic, this will be like the Zapruder tape, theories will abound....

hmm,

nice one of getting the snaps though,

art coup art coup

Abbie

Quote from: "Kingboy_D"Forward thinking, I also took a photos of the escape vehicle's number plate. Is there a reward involved? ;-)

P.S If they were art student they were aging ones.  The looked like they were in their mid thirties.

Hardly criminal masterminds were they?

I think 'art student' was an assumption on my part - it's just a hunch like - from my days in the force.

Hang on - white boiler suits, dust masks, mid thirties - what are Altern8 doing with themselves these days?

Ramses VIII

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Ramses VIII"K Foundation
I wondered the same thing.

Heh, Kingboy, perhaps you should contact the Guardian with your snapshots...or perhaps not.