Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brasseye, the episodes.

Started by Lumiere, April 02, 2004, 11:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumiere

Originally posted by Darrell "Have you seen the pilot? It pisses on the transmitted version."

No, sadly I haven't.

Darrell

Quote from: "Lumiere"Originally posted by Darrell "Have you seen the pilot? It pisses on the transmitted version."

No, sadly I haven't.

Well download it from the Torque tv thread, and be amazed.

Artemis

Neither have I - are we able to, then?

Darrell

kakamuffin

I like them all, some are weaker than others but it's all good.

I can't be critical of something i love so much.

Lumiere

Sadly, my computer's a load of shite, so downloading it would be pointless atm.

european son

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
I refuse to acknowledge the Special as part of Brass Eye.

yeah, i refuse to recognise any Oasis LP after Be Here Now as actually being an Oasis LP... ditto for the Stones after Exile...

you should meet my mate.... he says that technically the last 14 years of British Football "aren't part of official Liverpool football history" and has craftily photoshopped all his Stats books to back him up.

he says that "yeah, they call it 'Liverpool' and that, but there are different people playing, they play in a different era, and most importantly, they're not as good, so i'm justified in doing this, k?"

Lumiere

I refuse to acknowledge greatest hits albums as real albums by whatever artist, even if it was an unreleased track or two.

european son

Quote from: "Lumiere"I refuse to acknowledge greatest hits albums as real albums by whatever artist, even if it was an unreleased track or two.

ah, that is different though. i mean, i was clearly being a sarcastic fuck in my previous post, but in all seriousness concerning Greatest Hits, they ain't "real" LPs.

however, i'm not anti-Greatest Hits on principle like some of my mates are.

for some bands they're an excellent intro to the band (even if all the LPs are essential, you may need a primer), for some they may well be all you need from that combo.

Lumiere

I see your angle and I agree with you. With some artists, like Elvis or Dusty Springfield, their back catalogue is so vast the only option is a GH set. But for a band like Led Zep, a two disc GH with 26 tracks (15 from 1969-1971, 11 from 1973-1979) does not cover enough ground.

thatmuch

The Sally Phillips Kwattes bit is the main new joy. It's a pity she wasn't used in the series - her clipped tone of voice is just perfect.

The animals dancing with joy piece was poor, and rightly cut. The leafletting on the street  was indeed pointless. The slaughterhouses execution idea was better in the final version - Indeed the whole mice with spanners narration was rightly not developed. The Bishop and others commenting on the Libyan footage wasn't much either.

So - interesting and nice and new. Sad the Kwattes bit didn't make it to television.

Darrell

Quote from: "thatmuch"The Sally Phillips Kwattes bit is the main new joy. It's a pity she wasn't used in the series - her clipped tone of voice is just perfect.

Her voice remains in the transmitted version. It's hardly a noteable performance though - it's the editing down of John Irwin's superb Kwattes which is the biggest loss. As I was saying to someone a while ago, it was his biggest chance to shine outside of a dolphin costume and they bloody cut most of him out!

Something else I meant to mention on the pilot thread - the PG Tips bit seemed brilliant in the script, but isn't very good on screen (largely because the dialogue isn't audible enough).

theantileague

Does anyone have any idea if there's any easer eggs on the brass eye dvd apart from the conversation during the paedophile episode?

Darrell

Quote from: "theantileague"Does anyone have any idea if there's any easer eggs on the brass eye dvd apart from the conversation during the paedophile episode?

There aren't, because the DVD is shit.

However, by downloading the out-takes and trailers off this site, and the pilot off the aforelinked thread, you've got yourself something resembling proper extras.

Lumiere

Yes, the DVD is shittily put together, but why exactly were no proper extras included (apart from the lame drug commentary, the soundbin and the trailers/deleted clips)? Legal stuff?

There really is no dark side of the moon...I mean, it's all dark...

Darrell

Quote from: "Lumiere"Yes, the DVD is shittily put together, but why exactly were no proper extras included (apart from the lame drug commentary, the soundbin and the trailers/deleted clips)? Legal stuff?

No, just laziness (and possible unwillingness from VCI to spread to two discs).

There was an "HILARIOUS JOKE COMMENTARY, THAT'LL SHOW ALL THOSE SADDOS INTERESTED IN THE MAKING OF A SERIES" recorded for the Special too, but it was never used (except as a tiny excerpt as the easter egg).

It should have contained the complete pilot at the very least.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Lumiere"There really is no dark side of the moon...I mean, it's all dark...
"...matter of fact, it's all dark..."

Meanwhile, I'm quite fond of Science due to the heavy electricity falling out of pylons, and putting science in the dock, but I wouldn't like to put the episodes in any particular order, they all have their good parts and bad parts.  Maybe if I watched them more than I do I could tell.

By the way, Moral Decline's "Drugs at work" sketch is what caused Will Self to proclaim that Morris was God.  He particularly liked the "In time, he will learn to find his limits" line.  I suspect it was more due to the realism that it displayed rather than its humourous qualities, though.

Lumiere

For the same reason you are fond of Science, I dislike it. It's boring, and drags for far too long.

Neil

I've been digging through tapes all night to find stuff to encode, and I ended up watching some bits of various Brass Eyes.  I was caught by how hilarious some of the clips were...it's great when something you're completely over-familiar with just grabs you by the lapels and makes you laugh as if it's the first time you've seen it again.  Anyway I ended up sticking the DVD in the PS2 and giving the Special another watch.  Not seen it for a good long while, but I'd always recalled it being terribly disappointing but containing some good stuff in there, recycled ideas aside.  Well, have to say that it was not a pleasant half hour.  Only Blackwoods "hammers" line made me laugh out loud, and Fox with the crab did ellicit a few chuckles, but in the main I just felt like I was wasting my time.  

It's just so...flat, the original series had a lovely streak of silliness running right through it, but the BES is clumsy and obvious.  Whole sections can go by without rasing any laughs (particularly the bus tours and the art gallery thing), even the song parody fails, and this was previously something Morris was effortlessly excellent at.  Attempts to reuse old ideas, like the txt slang for instance, just don't come off, with stuff like "pipe to pipe bushman" being tedious and unfunny.  The internet bit pretty much completely misfires, and when Forrester holds up that t-shirt with the small body on it I can't help think how much funnier this gag was when Reeves and Mortimer did it in Smell Of.  

Morris himself seems out of practice during much of the Special, and this is something that has been annoying me since jam.  He gave remarkable performances in TDT and the original series of Brass Eye, I mean just amazing stuff, he seemed as comfortable with the medium as Kenny Everett used to.  Since jam though, it's like he's trying to sink back into the shadows.  Ach it's just depressing to see the decline in his work these days, I hope Nathan Barley ends up being fucking amazing, against all the odds.