Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,474
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your one album of choice.

Started by wasp_f15ting, August 01, 2007, 06:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

The second and far superior of Ratatat's releases, 'Classics'. It's only been out for about 8 months or something and already it's been played more than most of my records. I also find I can listen to this when I can't think of anything else to listen to, it caters to my every need and changes my mood with its styles, rather than usually choosing something which suits the mood I'm in.

The way that each song seems like a little journey, some songs start edgey and cool, other's start pretty and introspective, and every song shifts as it progresses into something totally beautiful. Also, most of my mates are into UK hip hop/drum n' bass/trance, yet they all worship this record. Complete gold from start to finish, they hit the nail on the head with the title 'Classics'.

thugler

Any of these 4, in terms of how the sheer number of times I can listen to the whole album without getting bored.

Hot Water Music - Caution
Clutch - Blast Tyrant
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Ratm - Evil Empire

Shoulders?-Stomach!

thugler

okay, the hot water music one.

Lord of divs

Ok there is one album I can return to again and again and at one point  would listen to everyday, an album you can really live in for a while that shields you from the outside world.  That album is:

Figure 8, by Elliott Smith

A pure joy to listen to from one end to the next.  Figure 8 manages to move Smiths sound on to the next level with dreamy orchestral arrangements that filter out on tracks like 'Can't make a sound' and beautiful power pop folk follows on tracks like 'Son of Sam and 'L.A.'  The quiet beauty of songs like 'Everything reminds me of her' and 'Somebody that I used to know' floor me every time I hear them.  Undoubtedly the stand out track on the album for me is 'Happiness' with its oddly distorted percussion and rising organ, it belts out the final message of the album.

I know some other whores would probably point out that albums such as Either/ Or and X.O make better statements about what kind of artist Smith was, and arguably have the better songs pound for pound, but for me, this album was my introduction to his music and after repeated listens of his other fine works I always seem to return to this one.

I'll post more about it in a bit, but it's about the most beautiful sound these beautiful ears of mine have heard when they aren't between thighs.

thugler

Quote from: Lord of divs on August 06, 2007, 03:50:19 PM
Ok there is one album I can return to again and again and at one point  would listen to everyday, an album you can really live in for a while that shields you from the outside world.  That album is:

Figure 8, by Elliott Smith

A pure joy to listen to from one end to the next.  Figure 8 manages to move Smiths sound on to the next level with dreamy orchestral arrangements that filter out on tracks like 'Can't make a sound' and beautiful power pop folk follows on tracks like 'Son of Sam and 'L.A.'  The quiet beauty of songs like 'Everything reminds me of her' and 'Somebody that I used to know' floor me every time I hear them.  Undoubtedly the stand out track on the album for me is 'Happiness' with its oddly distorted percussion and rising organ, it belts out the final message of the album.

I know some other whores would probably point out that albums such as Either/ Or and X.O make better statements about what kind of artist Smith was, and arguably have the better songs pound for pound, but for me, this album was my introduction to his music and after repeated listens of his other fine works I always seem to return to this one.

X.O and Figure 8 were always the two Smith albums I never manged to get into all that much for some reason. The self titled has become my fave.

Dusty Gozongas

Desert Island Discs style, my must-have would be this:

...but only if it's the original vinyl version complete with 12" booklet.

Hawkwind, apart from being one of the truly unique bands from this island, have been one of the few that have released more than one "this is their best yet" albums. Choosing just one is an ever shifting quandry :-)

I'm a bugger for growing out of bands and reinventing my eclecticism but for some reason I do keep on going back to Hawkwind every so often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_search_of_space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FLrF2aFBWc&mode=related&search=

samadriel

It feels like cheating whenever I nominate 'Stop Making Sense', so I think I'll go for...

Memories... (of 2000, mind you -- came into Pavement rather late)

Silence Kid!  Don't listen to your grandmother's advice about Ezra!

Quote from: nagsworth on August 05, 2007, 11:39:55 AM

The second and far superior of Ratatat's releases, 'Classics'. It's only been out for about 8 months or something and already it's been played more than most of my records. I also find I can listen to this when I can't think of anything else to listen to, it caters to my every need and changes my mood with its styles, rather than usually choosing something which suits the mood I'm in.

The way that each song seems like a little journey, some songs start edgey and cool, other's start pretty and introspective, and every song shifts as it progresses into something totally beautiful. Also, most of my mates are into UK hip hop/drum n' bass/trance, yet they all worship this record. Complete gold from start to finish, they hit the nail on the head with the title 'Classics'.

I was just listening to Ratatat's remix of The Knife's We Share Our Mothers Health (and thinking how good it was) when I read your post. I have since 'aquired' Classics, and also Remixes Vol 1+2 and have been listening with interest. I certainly enjoy what they do, and Classics has a few standout tracks, but my first impression is that the songs are a little samey. The production is exquisite, and structurally the songs are superb but they seem to rarely deviate from their formula of lofi hip hop beats, layered melodic guitars and synths. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I'm probably enjoying the remix albums more, which cover exclusively their work on mainstream hip hop tracks by the likes of Kanye, Jay Z, Biggie. These tracks are surprisingly upbeat and funky, and compliment the rapping considerably well, though I can't help wondering what they could come up with if remixing more challenging hip hop from the underground as the best tracks are easily the Dizzee Rascal, Missy and Ghostface tracks. I'd love to hear a collab with MF DOOM, say, or Aesop Rock.

bennyprofane

loads of great recommendations so far.  Especially Elliott Smith and the Zombies, though I'm one of the people who can't get much into Figure 8 and would go for Either/Or on strength of songs alone.  I love the Slint album too, but songs 3 and 5 do nothing for me at all, which on a 6-song record is a bit of a killer..  Washer is probably my favourite song ever though.

But for me there is only one album; Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth.  Such a brilliant mix of unrelentingly furious playing and really quite pastoral spans of melodic breakdown.  Cross The Breeze is probably the most succinet encapsulation of the two forces on the record, but the whoel thing is just such an amazing synthesis of everything that had happened since punk and would go on to happen under the punk banner.  The ridiculously beautiful surfy scree of Teenage Riot, the goofiness of Total Trash, the delicate playing on Candle, all lead seamlessly in and out of maelstrom, whereas Cross the Breeze, Hey Joni, Rain King, all start off quite viciously, but without particularly slowing up they seem to reach really crystal-static peaks without repeating themselves.  Every song explores exactly as much melodic/tonal variation as its basic riff allows, and the way the whole album ebbs and flows is just an object lesson in composition too.

It's probably the most canonical record a man could choose, but it's one of the standard 'great albums' that deserves its reputation within its genre, and really deserves a little more uber-mainstream toleance.

My slightly less canonical option would be 'eleven/eleven' by Come, and my choice from the last 5 years would be 'Tender Buttons' by Broadcast.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dusty Gozongas on August 07, 2007, 04:30:29 PM
Desert Island Discs style, my must-have would be this:

...but only if it's the original vinyl version complete with 12" booklet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_search_of_space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FLrF2aFBWc&mode=related&search=

I had an original. I recall the booklet was A4(-ish), and printed on pulp - like a comic book, but without the glossy cover.

EDIT: Here it is...
The Log Book (scroll down past the gatefold sleeve)

Huzzie

I'm not going to try and review it or explain why I love it but....

And it's so lonely on a limb.

Angst in my Pants

I would hate to plagiarise, and I'd most certainly hate to take on loan, but I have a big nose and so my choice is:

(c) Some Dizzy Whore, 1804 (in case Huzzie thinks I've copied).

lollipop

"The world moves on a womans hips..."

_Hypnotoad_

Very hard to pick one, and there are far better, but this is one of the few albums I can put on in any mood and love all the way through

ziggy starbucks

clear spot by captain beefheart

*awaits a bollocking from huzzie*

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Regular Chicken on August 09, 2007, 05:08:25 PM
I was just listening to Ratatat's remix of The Knife's We Share Our Mothers Health (and thinking how good it was) when I read your post. I have since 'aquired' Classics, and also Remixes Vol 1+2 and have been listening with interest. I certainly enjoy what they do, and Classics has a few standout tracks, but my first impression is that the songs are a little samey. The production is exquisite, and structurally the songs are superb but they seem to rarely deviate from their formula of lofi hip hop beats, layered melodic guitars and synths. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I'm probably enjoying the remix albums more, which cover exclusively their work on mainstream hip hop tracks by the likes of Kanye, Jay Z, Biggie. These tracks are surprisingly upbeat and funky, and compliment the rapping considerably well, though I can't help wondering what they could come up with if remixing more challenging hip hop from the underground as the best tracks are easily the Dizzee Rascal, Missy and Ghostface tracks. I'd love to hear a collab with MF DOOM, say, or Aesop Rock.

I respect your opinions on Classics to the fullest, and I think maybe the reason I love it so much (so, so much) is that I heard the first album first, and it was one of those that I rarely listened to due to its' repetitiveness, but when I did I was blown away by the fantastic, textured guitar work every time. Then, when I heard they had a new album out, I was instantly hooked. Their first album uses pretty much the same drum samples and beat structures throughout and the guitar is the only thing that does it justice. With Classics, they improved on their sound so much and incorporated less-electronic sounding guitars and more varied instrumentation. I hope it grows on you as it did me... maybe you should compare it to their first album?

As for their remix albums, great minds really think alike here as I couldn't help thinking the exact same thing. After hearing them, I instantly pegged what I hate about gangsta rap; it's not the self-hype of girls and money, in fact I now enjoy it, it's the lazy-as-fuck beats and two-notes-per-song bass lines. Ratatat may be doing these remixes as a genuine attempt to improve on this, and as such I think that's why they haven't chose to remix songs by more talented artists. After all, they're a pretty unknown band and I'd otherwise expect them to choose artists such as Doom and Aesop Rock. Either way the remixes are a huge improvement on the original tracks, and just like their own records, the more recent remix album is a shedload better than the first.

Gulftastic

'Flyer' By Nanci Griffith.

A wonderful album from the Queen of Folkabilly which even the presence of two members of fucking U2 can't spoil. I never tire of hearing it.

Sheldon Finklestein

Just to be completely original:

An album with 'I Know It's Over' and 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' on it would easily be a contender, but the fact that this contains not just those two but 'Bigmouth', 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side' and a host of other gems makes it by far my top choice. In fact, if you replaced 'Never Had No-one Ever' with 'Ask', it would arguably be as close to perfection as any album ever recorded.

Huzzie

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on August 23, 2007, 11:34:27 PM

clear spot by captain beefheart

*awaits a bollocking from huzzie*

No bollocking from here (what made you think that out of interest? Cause it's not one of his best?) Any album with Big Eyed Beans From Venus on it is worth an entire careers worth of yer Oasis'y types!

For me it would have to be The Queen is Dead.

chocky909

Rather predictably for someone who's username comes from Track 10...

I'd probably get sick of it very quickly though. Maybe I'd limit it to once a week.

I want to clarify the rules. Can we listen to music in public or are we on a dessert ireland? The reasoning is that if it seriously is the only form of music available for the rest of your life I'd opt for something a little more eclectic in range. Something with different songs for different moods.

Cack Hen

I prefer Young Team, myself. It comes down to a case of Tracy vs Cody and usually Tracy wins out. My favourite, predictably...

My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless'.

I can't think of any other genre where one album is head and shoulders above the rest and verging so close to perfection that no other band can come close, even after nearly 17 years. It's just the most beautiful noise on the planet.

chocky909

Quote from: Cack Hen on August 31, 2007, 10:20:22 PM
I prefer Young Team, myself. It comes down to a case of Tracy vs Cody and usually Tracy wins out. My favourite, predictably...

Could I combine the two albums onto a CD-R? BOLD = Keep

1. "Punk Rock" – 2:08
   2. "Cody" – 6:33
   3. "Helps Both Ways" – 4:53

4. "Year 2000 Non-Compliant Cardia" – 3:25
   5. "Kappa" – 4:52
   6. "Waltz for Aidan" – 3:44
   7. "May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door" – 8:29
   8. "Oh! How the Dogs Stack Up" – 2:03
   9. "Ex-Cowboy" – 9:09
  10. "Chocky" – 9:23

11. "Christmas Steps" – 10:39
  12. "Punk Rock/Puff Daddy/Antichrist" – 2:14

1. "Yes! I Am a Long Way from Home" – 5:57
   2. "Like Herod" – 11:41
   3. "Katrien" – 5:24
   4. "Radar Maker" – 1:35

5. "Tracy" – 7:19
   6. "Summer (Priority Version)" – 3:28
   7. "With Portfolio" – 3:10
   8. "R U Still in 2 It" – 7:20
   9. "A Cheery Wave from Stranded Youngsters" – 2:18
  10. "Mogwai Fear Satan" – 16:19

I could use a 100 minute CD-R maybe? And I think you can now see where I stand on the Tracy vs Cody argument.

El Unicornio, mang

First album I ever bought, aged 16, still my favourite 13 years later, total perfection from start to finish.

Melody Lee

Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience, because I keep coming back to it and it never gets boring or uninspiring. It was the first album I ever brought with my own money and it was the album I listened to while I taught myself electric guitar. I love the more expansive production and the way the sheer volume of Hendrix's guitar comes through like it does on live stuff like Band Of Gypsys. You can hear the electric-hot amps and something totally heartfelt pouring out, it does it for me every time.
I love the title track opening it proper with it's gorgeous soul guitar and falsetto vocals. The song writing is fantastic all the way through. The incredibly free feeling solo on the title track is my favorite ever. Yup, brilliant.

The Argus

This is mine, the reason being that it is is my 'break open in case of emergency' album and has got me through some difficult times.  I also happen to believe it's one of the most perfectly constructed albums that there is in terms of tracklisting and overall sound.  E really reached his songwriting peak on Electro-Shock Blues and if you know the circumstances under which he made it, you'll know why it's so special.

boxofslice

For me this:

The truly last great album of the 20th Century. So many ideas musically and lyrically are explored in this record. A album that defined where we were at the turn of a new millenium. Great songs about hope, love, fate, death and our place in the scheme of things.

I feel just like a float on a Macys day parade

buttgammon

Quote from: Canted_Angle on September 01, 2007, 06:59:09 PM

That's probably my favourite album of recent years. It's something I can listen to and think "This is brilliant" which is something I don't get from many albums - even ones I like.

Sound of Silver wouldn't be my own choice for this although I do really love it. Overall, I would pick 'Low' by David Bowie. It was an incredible move for such a world-famous megastar to make an album full of weird electronics, fucked-up noises and lonely, desolete soundscapes but with the help of Brian Eno David Bowie did it. It's in a class of its own as albums go and like Sound of Silver it is a proper album. Although the tracks aren't interlinked it's almost as if there is a musical narrative throughout, culminating with the beautiful but heartbreaking 'Subterraneans'. Low inhabits it's own world but I couldn't imagine this world without it.