Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:07:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

*risks the forum equivalent of lynching*

Started by Utter Shit, April 04, 2004, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Anyone else like Lee Evans?

While I don't go along with the general consensus that anything that isn't brilliantly clever is automatically shit, as seems to be the case here (uh oh), I appreciate that Evans' material isn't great. In fact, at times it's downright weak...yet somehow, I like him. Obviously, part of that is that he's a loveable bastard, with his cheeky-but-ugly features and self-deprecating humour (MONKEY BOOOOOOOY!)...but part of it is genuine comic ability as well, his delivery is just quality, he makes the crap stuff funny and the funny stuff shit-your-pants hilarious, at least to me...so, anyone else like him? Or am I on my own, left to wallow in my room full of Lee Evans posters and comedic swearing mp3s?

On an unrelated topic, does anyone know where I can get my mitts on anything at all by Ross Noble? I've used up my collection of bizarre humour with my Bill Bailey and Eddie Izzard DVDs, and as a comedy novice Ross Noble is the only other relatively mainstream offbeat-humour guy that I know of...any help, or pointing to similar artists, would be much appreciated.

LuV n HuGz xXx

butnut

I once tried to watch a Lee Evans video with a friend who really liked him. I wanted to too, but it was dire. I just couldn't understand what was funny about him in any way. All I can say is, at least I tried.

No doubt a few more fans will emerge from the woodwork in the next day or two.

Ben Ordinary

I used to be a massive fan of Lee Evans as a teenager. Probably up to that abortive BBC1 sitcom he made in 2000. Since then I genuinely look at him in a different light. Whether it was this factor which made me find his "Weird and Wonderful at Wembley" DVD painfully unfunny to watch last year, I cant be entirely sure. I have a soft spot for him in "Funny Bones" which is one of the strangest films I've ever seen. And Mouse Hunt is excellent kids fun.

But Stand-up? The 2nd video (Majesty's theatre I believe) was my favourite. Havent seen it in years to check though. The Scottish one and "Different Planet Tour" ones being long given away for being really rather tedious.

Goldentony

ive only ever really liked his stand up videos which i think are all great

Lt Plonker

I really like him. There's something in all is shows I find hilarious. Sort of lost track of his sitcom thing, but I love his stand up. It's jolly good fun - very silly.

Rev

I don't understand the appeal.  His stand-up act just consists of falling over, struggling with the microphone, and sweating, doesn't it?

falafel

Looking confused and grunting in a squeaky sort of way seems to be his speciality. Nothing wrong with physical comedy, and he's certainly charismatic. But he gets on my tits and doesn't make me laugh. He's the worst thing about There's Something About Mary, which I must admit I think is funny. I dunno, I suppose I just don't get it. He'd make an excellent mime, and at least that way he'd shut the fuck up.

To be honest, to me he seems to be not much better than the Chuckle Brothers. But I do make that statement in relative ignorance, because I generally can't bear to watch much of his one-man stuff for very long.

MarmiteCarpenter

Quote from: "Rev"I don't understand the appeal.  His stand-up act just consists of falling over, struggling with the microphone, and sweating, doesn't it?

haha, thats exactly what I thought when I started reading this topic.

I used to like him too, years ago. Way back in '99, my cousin, a huge fan, met him in person after a live show, but came home really downhearted because Evans turned out to be the most tedious and unfunny person he'd ever met. Can't be true, I thought.

Then I managed to catch him on three interviews, all in the space of 24 hours, where he rolled out exactly the same comedee anecdotes and one liners, in every single one, even when they didnt fit the questions. That and a possible sinister long lost twin subplot with Joe Pasquale ended it all for me.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "Utter Shit"On an unrelated topic, does anyone know where I can get my mitts on anything at all by Ross Noble?

On his own website (I don't knwo the address) there's a couple of CDs of gigs you can buy.

I don't know what they're like mind.

If you haven't sseen him live then I'd heartily recomend it - but, rarther like Izzard, don't go more than once per tour, or the illusion will be broken.

Lumiere

Ross Noble is incredible, I saw him live, it was one of the best improv stand up comedy sets I've seen.

Lee Evans is ridiculously farcical and unfunny. He relies on lame, predictable gags, and he cannot improvise for shit. In an improvised situation he just stutters for a while, trying to think of a joke he can insert. He's overrated.

theantileague

Quote from: "Lumiere"Ross Noble is incredible, I saw him live, it was one of the best improv stand up comedy sets I've seen.

Lee Evans is ridiculously farcical and unfunny. He relies on lame, predictable gags, and he cannot improvise for shit. In an improvised situation he just stutters for a while, trying to think of a joke he can insert. He's overrated.

i agree with you there on both counts dude. i saw a ross noble show on tv the other week and it was amazing. im going to see him live in june in billingham too :D
And although i didnt used to mind lee evan when  was younger, his humour nowadays just seems childish and unfunny with no thought put tinto it at all.

Rats

I really like lee evans standup. I fink he's good, I hate the tortured artist sympathy bit he always does at the end though, with the piano.

Silver SurferGhost

That's Norman Wisdom you're finking of there Rats wink, cough, ahem and whatever else it takes lately...

I can't believe this thread has got this far without mention of his most obvious root influence though.

Lee Evans is great in both Funny Bones and Mouse Hunt (me got kids), it's when he tries to expand on the slapstick stuff
that his act really er, falls down for me.
He's certainly not worthy of anyone's hatred though, that's for sure.

Rats

Yeah, I know it's the whole norman wisdom thing. He's been absolutley shit in all his films I thought, he can do the physical stuff when he's on stage but I don't know, maybe there's not enough tension or he's had too long to perfect it, it always seems overdone and stale when he's in a film.

Ben Ordinary

And Lee Evans really is just like Norman Wisdom. On ACID!

Ok, obvious joke but no-one else had said it...

Geej

To be honest, I don't like his "Stand up" that much, but his acting in Mousehunt, and more particularly "Funny Bones" is astounding.

OK Mousehunt is a kiddy film, and he does the usual over-reaction style of dialogue and movement, but Christmas Lunch wouldn't be right without being able to sit down and watch these type of films.

"Funny Bones" however is as near to perfect British Comedy as you can get, the actors are all amazingly good, and it even somehow makes Blackpool appear attractive.

Darrell

Quote from: "Geej"it even somehow makes Blackpool appear attractive.

Oi, Blackpool's lovely!

Lumiere

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"Lee Evans is great in  Mouse Hunt

I agree, that was a very funny film.