Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cook'd and Bomb'd Relaunch

Started by Neil, August 07, 2007, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Well, let me once again feign enthusiasm and interest in British comedy, this website, and the faltering career of Chris Morris, and introduce you to the latest iteration of Cook'd and Bomb'd.  Woo!!

It's still not finished, but bits will continue coming online over the next while.  And some stuff I've had in the pipeline for ages should finally surface, such as the Morris Music page, for instance, and perhaps there'll also be new features, such as user reviews - although rest assured I'm NOT going to be getting caught up in all that Web 2.0 "Digg this" style-over-content bullshit.  There's also going to be regular "CaB Radio" shows of some sort, the idea being for people to produce something of substance which can be broadcast as live (thanks to TTT, who is providing some hosting) on a Sunday evening, and then archived on the site for people to download.  If you're interested then let me know at waynecarr@gmail.com although bear in mind that I'm looking for something more creative than just stringing together a playlist of your favourite songs.  As that's what I'll be doing, dammit.  I might also just stick the CaB Radio thingy on now and again when I feel like broadcasting some music or comedy from my own puter...recently I've been playing a lot of the No Known Cure shows while I've been encoding them - have to say big thanks to Rob Baker for those, the tapes are currently being reassembled into full shows, and will appear here very soon.  Also, equally judicious thanks to Zeb who's provided FOUR new corkers from the rare-as-rocking-horse-shit Radio Bristol period.  Actually, Zeb also encoded these shows, and did a damn fine job of it too, so all credit to him.  Here's all four, you're gonna love these:

Chris Morris - Four Full NKC Shows From Zeb.  Phwooar.

And that's not all Zeb sent!  He also provided this NKC badge he won at the time, and a couple of letters he received from Radio Bristol.  Cool as.  I'll go and add all that stuff to the brand new No Known Cure page now...

So, anyway, look out for the CaB Radio doobrey appearing at the top left of the screen.  You can also now customise the lay-out of the site a fair bit - just hit these little arrows and you can hide bits of the site you don't particularly want to see.  You can collapse the entire right and left blocks, if you want.  This new design isn't 100% finished yet, but when it is I'll also be starting work on some new ones which you can flip between.  On that note, I have to say many thanks to 9 for once again providing CaB with a tasty new banner - good work sir.  Thanks also to Uncle TechTip, Tamarind Massacre and All Surrogate for helping me out with some irritating programming obstacles.  Plus anyone else who chipped in with suggestions or help, I do hope I've not missed anyone out.  Will be getting a proper credits page up again soon so that I can keep track of this kind of thing.

One of the major changes to the site now is that I've almost completely wiki-fied it.  This means that - theoretically - it should NEVER go out of date again, and you won't have to wait around (FOR AGES) for me to fix bits of it.  You'll instead be able to use the CaB wiki to edit pages yourself, and that info will be automatically pulled straight into the main CaB site.  Cool, huh?  Have to say a massive thanks here to all the folks who have helped fill the wiki up over the last few months, the site now has a hell of a lot more information on it.  Thanks to weirdbeard in particular for his extensive work, even going as far as to track down transmission dates, absolutely sterling work from this fellow, nice to see people actually supporting the site for a change, unlike certain long-time members.  Have to say thanks also to blumf, winston_x, quadraspazzed and everyone else who's helped build this up into a great resource, it's hopefully made CaB a much more useful and informative site for you lot.  If you'd like to help, then you can access the wiki directly here, but please don't fuck about on there, ta.

In closing I must also express my sincere gratitude to Nick Mailer from Positive Internet, who continues to host this site without asking for a red cent in return.  It's thanks to his generosity that I've been able to slowly continue developing Cook'd and Bomb'd over the years.  Absolutely top man. 

P.S. The ease with which I can now update the site, coupled with the plethora of free hosting available these days, means I'll soon be able to finally bring back all the downloads...  Stay tuned.  Also, CaB turns 8 tomorrow (8/8/07), blimey.

Neil

Timing or what, just noticed the site turns 8 tomorrow.  Anyway the NKC stuff can be VERY patchy, but there's actually some really great stuff in these shows Zeb's sent.  Some GLR material pops up, and he just seems like he's hosting a GLR show at times, really.  You'll see what I mean.

weirdbeard

Wow, so we have 4 NKC shows from Zeb and the ones from Rob to come as well?  Blimey.   Just think, only a couple of years back there was absolutely squat.  How many GLR shows are in circulation?  I know there is at least a dozen.

Neil

Quote from: weirdbeard on August 07, 2007, 08:07:12 PM
Wow, so we have 4 NKC shows from Zeb and the ones from Rob to come as well?  Blimey.   Just think, only a couple of years back there was absolutely squat.  How many GLR shows are in circulation?  I know there is at least a dozen.

Oh there's a point, I have to fix up a few errors in the last of the GL3 1993 tapes and get those online as a pack for people who've missed the previous ones, had forgot about that.  I'm making a torrent of Zeb's four encodes now, and will add his images to the NKC page this evening as well. 

The change in Morris' on-air persona is staggering.  The first of these Radio Bristol shows is from 1989, and I've found with this and some of Rob Baker's NKC stuff that he's really pretty lame, doing some quite cheesy and awful gags, but with the odd bit of excellence sneaking out (like that recorded Sue Cook rant he also played at GLR, and of course the Feedback Reports).  And then - BOOM - in the next one a year EDIT: a couple of months later he's pretty much firing on all cylinders, recording those VLS-influenced "Today's Prize" bits, his general chat with the callers gets much funnier, his confidence is clearly growing etc.  Fascinating to hear him developing. 

Noone would have expected him to have burst onto the scene fully-formed, but there was certainly clearly something about him with the likes of the Feedback Reports.  Doing those different gigs at once really helped him develop at a staggering rate, so I stand by my opinion that he's crap now because he does so little, and has got very out of practice. 

Spoiler alert
Don't switch off before the end of the news.
[close]

Harry Coal

The recent changes around here are the tits.  Thank you very much, Neil!

rudi

Am I going ma-h-aaaad or has the option to change skins disappeared?

Neil

Quote from: rudi on August 07, 2007, 08:25:39 PM
Am I going ma-h-aaaad or has the option to change skins disappeared?

It's disappeared, at the minute there's only the default skin.  I'll start making more skins of my own though - probably only one or two more, as they add to the general amount of work involved in updating the forum software and suchlike.

Still not 100% finished on this skin, but it's getting there.

rudi

Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2007, 08:27:57 PM
It's disappeared, at the minute there's only the default skin.  I'll start making more skins of my own though - probably only one or two more, as they add to the general amount of work involved in updating the forum software and suchlike.

Still not 100% finished on this skin, but it's getting there.

You know me - always wanting more.

Just another demanding child in your blue nest...

Neil

:-)

Here we go, this stuff is once again supplied and scanned and all that by Zeb, can't thank him enough for this, very exciting finds indeed (I'll correct the letter so it's easier to read in a bit.)

Neil

Flipped one of them horizontally and vertically so you can read it without breaking your neck and/or monitor:

zeb

Woohoo...  there's my badge and letters :)  Now I really must try and find the second badge I know I had somewhere...

Uncle TechTip

Wow-ee!

Is this the right thread? New theme, I LIKE!

rudi

Uncle TechTip

It was another Neil who supplied the goodies (forgive me, is it Neil Mossey?)

butnut

Thanks Zeb and Neil - great to see this stuff.

zeb

Yup, that's correct.  I'm Zeb and I'm also Neil but Neil isn't Zeb!  Confused - so am I.  But I'm not Neil Mossey!

Neil

That's right, and of course I'm not Neil Mossey either, Neil.  He's another Neil who has supplied some cool stuff recently to me, Neil.  Neil Neil Neil.

Here's the torrent - once again, big thanks to zeb, four full NKC shows on their own is an incredible find, but when you add in the badge and letters he also sent...well, y'know. 

Chris Morris - Four Full NKC Shows From Zeb.  Phwooar.

Thanks to Timmay for continuing to host the CaB Bit Torrent tracker too.  And thanks to jutl for the new gradient, looks even better than my one I reckon.

zeb

No probs - as you can probably tell I was a bit of a fan at the time.  I seem to recall it was about the only thing I used to listen to on the radio...  well apart from the charts on Radio 1 to tape tracks off!

Now I do have a tape of me appearing on NKC, on the phone for one of the competitions but there's no way I'm sharing that - it's far too embarrassing!  I seem to recall that my Dad has another of my appearances on tape as well!

Anyway, enjoy!

weekender

Aw go on, please share it - we won't know who you are, especially not if you edit that bit out of your post!

zeb

I'll consider it, although I haven't yet recorded it on the PC.  I know the tape I found was either only an excerpt or only half a show... you'll be the first to know if I do publish...  no doubt when I play the tape back I may find a loss of reception at the time of the competition!

See what you think of the four complete episodes first...

Enjoy!

notsci

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2007, 08:18:05 PM
The change in Morris' on-air persona is staggering.  The first of these Radio Bristol shows is from 1989, and I've found with this and some of Rob Baker's NKC stuff that he's really pretty lame, doing some quite cheesy and awful gags, but with the odd bit of excellence sneaking out (like that recorded Sue Cook rant he also played at GLR, and of course the Feedback Reports).  And then - BOOM - in the next one a year EDIT: a couple of months later he's pretty much firing on all cylinders, recording those VLS-influenced "Today's Prize" bits, his general chat with the callers gets much funnier, his confidence is clearly growing etc.  Fascinating to hear him developing. 

Noone would have expected him to have burst onto the scene fully-formed, but there was certainly clearly something about him with the likes of the Feedback Reports.  Doing those different gigs at once really helped him develop at a staggering rate, so I stand by my opinion that he's crap now because he does so little, and has got very out of practice.

Just imagine what one of the 1987/88 shows sound like...

Lewis

I've got a 3 hour train journey tomorrow so these are perfectly timed! Many thanks Zeb :)

Looks beauty and I'm interested in checking out some early Moz, it's been a while since I listened or watched anything.

All Surrogate

I got a mention!  And for one lousy regex!  Thanks Neil!

Oh, and good work with the site ... or something ...

;)

Duffy

Marvellous stuff,  thanks Zeb! Look forward to giving these a go when I get back tonight.

Thanks Neil too, of course, and happy birthday C 'n' B! Anyone have any screenshots of the earlier incarnations of the site?

Neil

Quote from: Duffy on August 08, 2007, 12:49:07 PM
Marvellous stuff,  thanks Zeb! Look forward to giving these a go when I get back tonight.

Thanks Neil too, of course, and happy birthday C 'n' B! Anyone have any screenshots of the earlier incarnations of the site?

Well when I got my new puter this year, I was able to move all my old CaB stuff onto it.  When digging through it a while back, I found what seemed to be the very first incarnation, which I thought I'd actually probably edited over when I did updates.  But no, as far as I can tell this is the very first CaB site, before it was CaB:

http://chilled.cream.org/archive/first/

Then there's this one, not much different:

http://chilled.cream.org/archive/firstandabit/

Awful awful awful.   I'll see if I can find any more.  I can think of about three other designs between then and now.

Duffy

Heh-heh, nice one! Yeah, the site's come on a bit since then, hasn't it?

That Why Bother text is still out there in Cyberland, though. It's displayed almost verbatim when you google cook'd bomb'd (leading to to the Brass Eye "closed for legal reasons" page).

Neil

Here's a thread from 2002 I just found - uh, I don't think I could upload many of the threads I find as it will invariably cause DRAMA.  I found two with Huzzie absolutely ripping me and blue jammer to shreds, very amusing :-)

Mundays Quits
Quote from: Duffy on August 08, 2007, 01:16:23 PM
Heh-heh, nice one! Yeah, the site's come on a bit since then, hasn't it?

That Why Bother text is still out there in Cyberland, though. It's displayed almost verbatim when you google cook'd bomb'd (leading to to the Brass Eye "closed for legal reasons" page).

Yeah, the actual site is still online here, amazingly.