Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:17:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Whipping Boy

Started by weekender, August 14, 2007, 09:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

I have no idea who Whipping Boy are.  I was lucky enough to get their 'Heartworm' album from another blog that shall rename nameless out of courteosy to that blog's owner.

I have been listening to 'Heartworm' by Whipping Boy.  I am astounded.  I think they are Irish, as they sound a bit Irish.

I am in awe, speechless as to how to describe this album.  I've resorted to uploading a track:

Whipping Boy - When We Were Young

I mean, it describes youthful arrogance, to teenage fear, to adult melancholy, combined with the relevant emotions, and all in under three minutes.  How have I not heard this album before?  How?

If this post encourages one person to download the track and get the album, I will be happy.  I shall expand more at some point, at the moment I am too enthralled in the album - that's how good it is - and I'd rather try and encourage someone somewhere into listening to this as opposed to whatever else they're doing.

Yours
overawed
weekender

weekender

Well done taggers, you win.  I hope you enjoy the album.

quadraspazzed

We were discussing Whipping Boy for a short while on Sunday night in IRC - I posted a link to place where you can get pretty much all of their stuff as mp3s (out of deference to site rules I won't name it here, but y'know...) - ironically I don't actually think Heartworm was there.

Anyway, yes Whipping Boy are/were a fantastic outfit and I really liked Heartworm as a teenager - then drifted away, then came back. Still have a lot of time for them, and a producer friend of mine tells me that they're back together, apparently. The singer Fearghal Mckee released a solo-single a few years back that I really liked as well.

Fearghal Mckee - What You Wanna Start?

Whipping Boy - Suspicious Minds (from an Irish tribute album called Natural Born Elvis)

Whipping Boy - We Don't Need Nobody Else (the other big single from Heartworm, and contains Bono dissage which is always good)

Great band.

I only ever checked out Sufjan Stevens because you started a thread here so I still owe you one for that. This one's not quite my bag, it started out reminding me of the cracking Thousand Yard Stare song you posted to VW's Top 1000 but not the same boisterousness that still pulls me back to that one.

Ciarán

Despite the Bono dissing, I never liked Whipping Boy. 'We Don't Need Nobody Else' does have that righteous anger thing about it, but I still hate that in Ireland the alternative to overblown roawk music is...more overblown rawk music. Whipping Boy used to draw favourable comparisons with Joy Division, which I never really understood. Joy Division always had that tension between being gothy and gloomy and at the same time being forward looking and radical enough to want to mimic Kraftwerk (I'm thinking 'Decades' here). It's not that much of a wonder that they blossomed into disco dollies New Order with time. An Irish band would never do that. But anyway I'm ranting now. Whipping Boy undoubtedly have their fans...

El Unicornio, mang

I remember they played their vids on The Beat and The Chart Show, there was one with the singer running on a big hamster wheel. 'Twinkle' was my fave song by them, never got round to hearing the full album though.