Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GMAIL (google mail)

Started by @ssmaster, April 04, 2004, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Oooh, thanks for bumping. I meant to post in here that apparently GMail now has proper POP3 support, meaning you can use it in Outlook Express (or other mail software) for those who are confoosed by jargon.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm told it works.

I also have a squillion invites if anyone wants one.

Rubbish Monkey

There was this secruity hole, which has been fixed at least, - just noticed the POP access thingy which might be nice as the 3 clicks to delete stuff is starting to get on my tits. And I've just changed mine to use on my website so soon the spam will come flooding in, handle THAT Mr google! aah i better not use the POP support then

terminallyrelaxed

And Safari browser support I notice although its been working fine for me for months now...

shit as fuck

I like the idea of using a client to get my gmail, but isn't pop3 shit?  I have always used IMAP because the first time I used POP3 it sucked all my incoming email off of the server, which meant I could then only access those emails from that particular computer.

Someone more techy than me (not hard) told me this is just how pop3 works and that i'd be okay with IMAP.  Is this correct?

slim

Quote from: "shit as fuck"I like the idea of using a client to get my gmail, but isn't pop3 shit?  I have always used IMAP because the first time I used POP3 it sucked all my incoming email off of the server, which meant I could then only access those emails from that particular computer.
This is dependent on the software. You can choose to delete the message from the server when you retrieve it or not. POP3 is a perfectly good mail protocol.

Also, I notice Rubbish Monkey has kindly provided a nice linky pertinent to GMail itself.

Paaaaul

I'm using the POP3 option and I'm loving it. It gives you the best of both worlds as far as standard POP3 accounts and Webmail are concerned.

You can download all the emails to  your PC and keep copies of them on the web. You can send emails from the same address from your own computer or, when you're not at your own computer, from anywhere else. You can recieve emails wherever you are. It is exactly what I've been after in an email account. Instead of having to use a "home" account and an "away" account or having to set up some sort of forwarding, I just use this now. Cooooool.