Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:24:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Today DVD Review

Started by Neil, April 05, 2004, 03:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Firstly, two new Chris Morris Music Shows have been added to the site, these are episode 15 and 17, many thanks to Steve Bass2rez for the encoding as usual!  

Now, the TDT DVD is out in another 3 weeks, so we thought we'd give you a comprehensive run-down of this double-disc package.

Extended Scenes:  There are  two extended versions of sketches on the Extras DVD, "The Pool" and "The Office."  The extended Pool is a particular highlight, there's plenty of extra footage which opens up the main characters a bit more.  Coogan's security guard has some extra time on-screen, and one of Coogans other characters, the man who finds the cock-roach in the pool, also appears to do an excellent impression of the cock-roach.  The best bit of all the new footage is the janitors scene, as he shows us the lost and found!   You have to wonder why more extended scenes weren't included though, I'm sure there's some brilliant Bureau stuff knocking about that could have been included, and extra Morris would have been fantastic, presumably more "Speak Your Brain" footage must exist for instance.  Mind you we do get to see plenty of new footage of him in his natural curly-haired state in the next section...

Pilot: Covered extensively by SOTCAA, there's no sense in us repeating what they've already said, visit their site for a full transcript.  The "Additional Material" segment detailed in the last update has definitely been left off the DVD, but the "Post-Programme Update" is on there!  The inclusion of the Pilot is a fantastic move and massively welcome.  For some reason, many DVD producers are under the impression that the general public aren't interested in such embryonic footage.  Furthermore, they think the inclusion of such will actually deter the average punter from buying the DVD!  That idiotic attitude has been ignored here, and let's hope that the TDT discs mark a new trend for the usage of more archive material on future comedy DVD's.  Certainly when you flick through the double-disc TDT DVD you are painfully aware of what a missed oppurtunity the Brass Eye release was.  

Mininews: All six episodes are there, in lovely DVD quality.  Great to have these widely available at last.   Check out that brilliant news-dancer menu.

News Stories: Called "Po-faced analysis" on the DVD menu (cause facts are for nerds and squares, right kids?) this is an interesting documentary about  news pesentation, produced as part of the Open University program.  It, rather inexplicably, has sections on The Day Today and interviews with people like the Director Andrew Gillman, and Rebecca Front.  

Hidden Extras:
AV Describers: Ok, thanks to Yer Man for finding some of these, and for generally being ace before we were able to get our own copy of the DVDs.  The extras disc is packed with hidden stuff, but before we get to that let's look at the episode disc.  With the lack of commentaries, the episode disc seems rather light.  So far the only extra that has been found is by Yer Man, who notes that if you press the Angle feature during episode 3 you will get some bizarre on-screen commentaries from "AV Describers" Andy Hodgson and Jennifer Reinfrank.  While you watch the episode these two will pop up and describe what's going on on-screen.  This is pretty bloody awful, although the woman with the silly accent's re-enaction of Coogan's "No-one died" piece from The Pool is momentarily distracting.  I'm hoping there's a lot more stuff hidden on this disc, but so far a thorough search hasn't turned up anything else.  Please do get in touch if you find more.

Christopher Morris and Alan Partridge chat: Another extra found by Yer Man.  Enter the Pilot Material menu, then exit it and leave the controller alone.  Eventually the news-bulbs circling the screen will clear and be replaced by Partridge ones, and a short chat between Morris and Partridge will begin.  They  discuss the changes in the world since they last met, and cover topics like JFK's assasination.  It's not bad, probably the most sucessful of the newly recorded material as it's fairly long and subsequently given some time for actual ideas to develop.  The other two hidden clips that have been newly recorded all really end just as they're starting to go somewhere.

TDT Cast Reunion and extra Morris and Partirdge chat: Let News Stories run right the way through, then when you are returned to the main menu leave the controller alone.  After a short while the circling news-bulbs will run out (after about two revolutions), and the Coogan ones will come on the screen.  You will hear the TDT news theme and a cast reunion which lasts about ten minutes.  This is fairly unremarkable to be honest, and doesn't in any way make up for the lack of commentaries.  Incidentally, you have to wonder what happened there...Iannucci scotched the rumours about a commentary with him and Morris some weeks ago, and said that he had a better idea...in-character coomentaries.  According to Adam Tandy on The Mauseleoum Club however, commentaries were never planned and they decided to use the studio time to record these new audio extras instead.  The clip itself is nice to hear, but not that great.  Note that Partridge refers to Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan as Brian!  Morris fawning over Valerie Sinatra is almost as embarassing as that song at the end of the BES.  Some of the team have been injured and you have to wonder if this is a reference to the new footage in The Pool, or a coincidence.  Neither Baynham or Iannucci turn up incindetally.  Once the reunion clip ends, click on News Stories to start it again, and then exit it as soon as it starts. Leave the controller while the main menu plays for a few times.  Eventually the Partridge news-bulbs will return, and another brief conversation between Christopher Morris and Alan Partridge will start.  This again is fairly unremarkable, and features Christopher asking Partridge what he thinks of people like John Prescott.

Coogan interview with Mark Radcliffe: Ah, now this is good, but why on earth is it hidden?  Go into the Extended Scenes menu, and leave the controller alone while the Pong animation plays.  I think you may have to press up and down, but eventually the red cursor will vanish from the bottom of the screen, and appear at the top.  Press the entre button on your controller, and you will be transported to another menu, where you can hear this interview which took place on the 17th January 1994 (the night before the transmission of the first episode of The Day Today).  This is very enjoyable and lasts about 30 minutes.

Bushwhacked 2: Oh, for fucks sake.  Go to the Mininews menu, then go to number 4 and press up on the controller.  The cursor will travel up the screen, and if you press the enter button you will be "treated" with this weak satirical rubbish by Chris Morris, with accompanying visuals by message-board pests, "Cartel Communique."   What a terrible piece of rubbish to put on the TDT discs, it has nothing at all to do with the show, and should have been left off in favour of things like the trailers  (See the TDT page on this site for two TDT trailers encoded by TJ).  Bearing in mind how over-exposed this dreadful piece of crap is already, what with it having been released on Warp and all, you have to wonder why it merits inclusion on the TDT DVD's.  

That's it then.  In general the discs are a pleasure to use, the menus and over-all presentation is exactly what you'd expect to accompany the series.  As I said, this is a definite step forward in British comedy DVD's, the inclusion of so much previously unseen footage is fantastic, and a perfect example of what the Brass Eye DVD should have been.  Commentaries, preferably production ones, would have made this an unbelievable release, but as it is no fan of the series will be disappointed.  

I've added a load of TDT screenshots to the Image Archive.  There's a rather nice publicity shot here by the way, thanks to sgt_toomey for uploading that.  Incidentally check around the Comedy Chat for some downloads, including the Brass Eye pilot, Torque tv supplied by SOTCAA.  A better version of that will be getting released on Bit Torrent along with some stuff I'm encoding myself like the Friday Night Armistice and Adam and Joe's Fourmative Years.

Neil

To see the original versions of The Pool and The Office do the following:  The Pool...go to chapter 13 on episode 2 for the first part, and chapter 23 in episode 3 for the second.  The Office...go to chapter 10 in episode 6 for part 1 and chapter 21 for part 2.

Bilko

Thanks for the TDT review. Having read it you have to think what is the point of hiding stuff on a DVD? There isn't anything clever about it, no-one is going to be impressed by it either. It's the same as buying a CD and the last track lasts for 15 minutes. Of which the first 4 minutes is the final song, followed by 8 minutes of silence then 50 seconds of irrelevant noise followed by another 4 minutes of silence and another 30 seconds of noise.

Thanks for the Music Shows as well, Morris as his best. I don't care which new episodes they are, they are all great. Did you encode them or is Bass2Rez still doing them.

benthalo

Quoteproduced as part of the Open University program. It, rather inexplicably, has sections on The Day Today and interviews with people like the Director Andrew Ellard, and Rebecca Front.

Andrew Gillman!

Doesn't the programme explain how TDT is a useful example of how overstepping the mark can ruin responsible journalism? Something like that, but it's quite an average thing for an OU film to feature.

Bilko

Quote from: "benthalo"
Andrew Gillman!

The Today reporter in the David Kelly affair was Andrew Gilligan. Though I read Gillman as GIlligan when I first read his name on this stie as well.

Darrell

Yeah, it is Gillman. Andrew Ellard is a tedious, incompetent and self-regarding employee of Grant Naylor Productions, who makes bland Red Dwarf DVDs and acts as though he's Jesus.

theantileague

gah, it's a shame that the commentary between Morris and Ianucci isn't being included, that was one of the things that was making me look forward to it the most but i guess that some of the other kool feaures make up for that slightly.
some of the hidden things look pretty pointlessly hard to get to like.

Neil

Ha thanks, my heads away with it.  I would have to make a daft mistake like that after spending hours getting the update and screenshots together.

Neil

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"Thanks for the Music Shows as well, Morris as his best. I don't care which new episodes they are, they are all great. Did you encode them or is Bass2Rez still doing them.

No they're still the smashing bass2rez encodes!  I'll sort two out when I get back to my flat later on tonight.  

incidentally this page of the Image Archive shows the AV Describers, and menu screens etc.

thatmuch

Quote from: "benthalo"
Quoteproduced as part of the Open University program. It, rather inexplicably, has sections on The Day Today and interviews with people like the Director Andrew Ellard, and Rebecca Front.
Andrew Gillman!

Doesn't the programme explain how TDT is a useful example of how overstepping the mark can ruin responsible journalism? Something like that, but it's quite an average thing for an OU film to feature.

It doesn't actually explain anything - which seems to be a problem to a lot of people - it just intercuts segments about the making of a news programme and the training of presenters with excerpts and interviews about the  making of a spoof (The Day Today). (e.g. the way the graphics on TDT are used to give a spurious sense of importance.)
It used TDT very nicely, which is presumably why they used it. As you say, quite an average thing for the Open University to feature since they do sometimes want to encourage critical thinking.

Neil

Quote from: "benthalo"Doesn't the programme explain how TDT is a useful example of how overstepping the mark can ruin responsible journalism? Something like that, but it's quite an average thing for an OU film to feature.

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I'll take your word for it.  The inclusion of stuff on the making of TDT seemed at odds with the people being trained to present the news.  I mean the Barbara Wintergreen section for instance, how useful would that and the stuff about the treatment of the tapes be to a OU student.  I must confess I don't watch OU films as much as you and sour-faced bore thatmuch though.  I'm surprised he actually watches shows where he might learn something as he was so opposed to "the ghost of Chris Morris" deigning to offer us the likes of a production commentary in case any of the magic was spoiled by actually learning about the show.  thatmuch, I'm surprised you haven't leapt on the description of the "AV Describers" and started running about triumphantly hollering about how The Day Today is actually a satire on DVD Commentaries and their "spoon-fed opinions."

Peking O

Quote from: "Neil".....sour-faced bore thatmuch.....thatmuch, I'm surprised you haven't leapt on the description of the "AV Describers" and started running about triumphantly hollering about how The Day Today is actually a satire on DVD Commentaries and their "spoon-fed opinions."

I'm just waiting for Darrell, Beloved Aunt, Emergency La La, Alan Strang etc. to all come thundering in to agree furiously with this. Ho hum. Why do alternative opinions bother you so much? It makes the forums a much more interesting read if there's a variety of viewpoints and opinions.

Neil

Stop trying to pretend you have some amazing insight that is being forcefully stifled, you big silly.  

This is Coogan doing an impression of Mr Linus the cockroach http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=91
Here's one of the stupid AV Describers in action. http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=83
Here's the other one:
http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=85
The janitor is my fave:
http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=92
Episode selection screen:
http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=82
The news dancer lights up the thingys:
http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=87
There's more of this kid from the Mini News in the extended Pool sketch.
http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=88
Doon in Debate 2000.  She has some lovely extra scenes in The Office, her and Front are great in that:
http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_comment.php?pic_id=104

Still, arguing for better extras is wrong, isn't it?  ;)

Neil

The two new Music Shows are up now, number 15 and 17, many thanks to Steve bass2rez for the capturing!

butnut

Thanks for all your work Neil. I'm just about to check out the screenshots - and of course, download the Music shows, like a good boy should.

The sad thing is, that even if it had been just the episodes, I'd probably still buy TDT DVD - mainly because I haven't seen it in years, and I can't watch Videos here.

But I'm glad that the mininews, the pilot, and the extended scenes are there. And I've always wanted to see the OU thing, since a mate of mine claimed to have seen it at 3am one day, and I always assumed he was lying.

EDIT - that first av lady is quite nice looking...

Darrell

I'm getting moister by the minute, cheers for the shots de screne.

Incidentally, the man who plays the janitor has a very special role in The Rutles film - he has *loads* of subtle cameos in it that you've got to look out for, it's great fun spotting him in the background.

thatmuch

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "benthalo"Doesn't the programme explain how TDT is a useful example of how overstepping the mark can ruin responsible journalism? Something like that, but it's quite an average thing for an OU film to feature.

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I'll take your word for it.  The inclusion of stuff on the making of TDT seemed at odds with the people being trained to present the news.  I mean the Barbara Wintergreen section for instance, how useful would that and the stuff about the treatment of the tapes be to a OU student.  I must confess I don't watch OU films as much as you and sour-faced bore thatmuch though.  I'm surprised he actually watches shows where he might learn something as he was so opposed to "the ghost of Chris Morris" deigning to offer us the likes of a production commentary in case any of the magic was spoiled by actually learning about the show.  thatmuch, I'm surprised you haven't leapt on the description of the "AV Describers" and started running about triumphantly hollering about how The Day Today is actually a satire on DVD Commentaries and their "spoon-fed opinions."

Um, I've never used the word "magic" or the phrase  "spoon-fed opinions" on this topic. I'm not sour-faced, I  like the sound of the DVD, so I'm quite happy there. The Day Today is a humorous view of how media reality is created and really, if they had a commentary on the DVD, there would have to be another commentary lampooning that, and a commentary on that and another ad infinitum up the bum.
But anyway I'm here because I like Chris Morris's work, I'm not a big comedyfan, especially not in the amazingly obsessive way some people on these boards seem to be, and I seem to have a different perspective.
Comedyobsessives in a gang though  wow  haven't experienced anything like that before, and I've been on some heavy internet lists in the past.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Neil"

Bearing in mind how over-exposed this dreadful piece of crap is already, what with it having been released on Warp and all, you have to wonder why it merits inclusion on the TDT DVD's.  

But Just think, look on the bright side - they might of only put it on there for a laugh to (incomprehensibly) fuck you off to such a level. And what's more.. there could be a hidden commentary with a couple of vagabonds lurking about on there as well. God only forbid!

Neil

Oh yes, I'll be crying bitter tears into my pillow tonight over the inclusion of Bush Whacked 2, make no mistake.  Fuck sake, I love how someone like you considers every single element of his work or every one of his choices to be beyond reproach.  It's got nothing to do with The Day Today, wouldn't the trailers have been a more worthy inclusion?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "thatmuch"The Day Today is a humorous view of how media reality is created and really, if they had a commentary on the DVD, there would have to be another commentary lampooning that, and a commentary on that and another ad infinitum up the bum.

Except: no. They could talk about things such as locations, what was happening on set that particular day, what the original ideas for sketches were, who was going to play what part etc. They wouldn't need to "explain what they were doing" at all.

thatmuch

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"
Quote from: "thatmuch"The Day Today is a humorous view of how media reality is created and really, if they had a commentary on the DVD, there would have to be another commentary lampooning that, and a commentary on that and another ad infinitum up the bum.

Except: no. They could talk about things such as locations, what was happening on set that particular day, what the original ideas for sketches were, who was going to play what part etc. They wouldn't need to "explain what they were doing" at all.

""Explain what they were doing""?

Edje

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"

Congratulations on making DVD commentarys sound slightly less interesting than bran.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Fucks sake. What else would you want from a commentary instead?

Neil

If only the Morris cock-suckers realised how inferior shite like BushWhacked 2 is to stuff like "War Goes Bang", "Earthquake In Your Bed" etc...  What's happened to his judgement?!  He not only thinks this was worth releasing, he also thinks it's worth including as a hidden extra on the TDT DVD.  Doesn't that speak volumes about his judgement these days?!  Wouldn't a selection of OTH tunes been a much more suitable and enjoyable hidden extra?

"Hidden extras, eh Adam?  I've got just the thing, a saucy little Bush cut-up I did where I, get this, get Bush to say the oppsite of what he actually said!  Great huh?!  Pisses all over that Queens Speech rubbish I did years ago!!"

weekender

I don't see the point of releasing anything on the 'TDT' DVD that isn't relevant to 'TDT' full-stop.  That comment is made independently on my views of Bushwhacked.

Darrell

If they really wanted to do new material, they should have gone in and recorded bits of previously unused OTH and TDT scripts (including L&H items such as Ian Desk). Now THAT would have been fucking mindblowingly good.

Neil

Bloody great idea.  As I said in the Mininews thread, Morris is the only one who seems to have turned up without giving any thought to how his character has changed over the years.  The rest of them have injuries or whatever, but Morris just fawns over Valerie Sinatra in a really over-bearing sickening way.  

The new stuff gives a few chuckles but is fairly pedestrian.  Meanwhile, Bushwhacked 2 just sits there being lapped by everything else.  What a rubbish choice for a hidden extra, I don't care if the cock-suckers have another go at me, please just explain how this pish is in any way worthy of inclusion on the TDT release?!  New clips and pilot material aside, this is the only new Morris we get, and I'd rather it was left off instead of some unused Speak Your Brain segments and the like.

weekender

Would someone mind elaborating a little bit on 'Ian Desk'?  I've lost my links about it.

Goddamn it, that Ian Desk stuff is funny shit. And it wasn't even used in the friggin' programme!

I was actually talking to a friend the other day about how brilliant David Bowie was in the '70s, and he said, "Listen dude, it wasn't just Bowie, or even Bowie and Iggy, it was Bowie, Iggy, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, Tony Visconti and other people besides. That was a pretty fuckin' serious musical think tank they had goin' on there."

And when you read something like Desky there, you realise the brilliance of OTH/TDT wasn't just down to Morris, or even Morris and Iannucci, it was them plus Lee & Herring, Peter Baynham, David Quantick, Steve Coogan, Linehan & Mathews and other people besides. That was a pretty fuckin' serious comedy think than they had goin' on there!

I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore, but sometimes it hits you just what an extraordinary collision of talent OTH and TDT really were.