Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lucas & Walliams Adverts For Commercial Radio

Started by benthalo, April 05, 2004, 12:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benthalo

Natwest, I believe. I caught two of them on Virgin last night, although I'm sure they've been running for a good while now. Not very good, but if people want to hear them I can upload later on.

Ben Ordinary

I believe it was them who did the recent adverts for UK Gold (Or UKTV Gold as that horrible new DOG says) and their Britain's Best Sitcom tie-in week. I definately heard one on Virgin Radio several times.

The adverts revolved around them acting out snippets of fake sitcoms  that supposedly werent good enough to make the list. Again, not very funny but there you go.

Darrell

I'd very much like to hear these, could use them in the Audio Archive update I've been meaning to do for ages, along with the Chris Moyles interview, the Feedback complaint, and Matt Lucas's Bluetones B-side. Probably get David Walliams's contributions to the BBC3 Shakespeare series up too.

I'm still missing the following, by the way, if anyone can help:
- The This Morning interview
- David Walliams interviewed on Radio 1at the RTS awards about Little Britain series two, haven't a clue what show it appeared on. Newsbeat, perhaps?
- Any of their radio/TV ads - Supernoodles etc
- Any pre-2003 interviews, live clips on telly etc
- Live bootlegs - come on, there's got to be one. Did anyone bootleg the Cream of British Comedy show? It sounded terrific from the reports, especially the self-mocking, over-the-top catchphrase usage. And Morwenna Banks!

benthalo

Three examples of the advertiser's art. The first two are Lucas & Walliams, the last a general RAB advert by Chris Langham in Mallard-esque mode. He's been doing them for years, so I'm sure there are a few of these.

Lucas & Walliams #1 (0.8MB)

Lucas & Walliams #2 (0.8MB)

Langham (1.2MB)

Darrell

Thanks for those, though the link to Langham's is broken.

benthalo

Had problems with that one on upload. I'll have another bash tonight. The url should be correct.

benthalo

Possibles for your L&W update. Most of these are dead obvious i'm sure:

Comic Relief 2003 (both appear in the two Blankety Blank sketches)
Comic Relief 2001 (Rock Profile live/pre-recorded contribution; iffy off-air as I remember)
Shooting Stars 2/13 tx 20/12/96 (Sarah White, Frank Bough, John Thomson, Clare Grogan, David Walliams - doesn't get much dialogue as I remember)
Channel 4 Sitcom Weekend 24 - 25/05/97 (four sketches directed by Edgar Wright)
Apocalypse Tube [Sky One 20/11/99 & C4 01/01/00] (Matt Lucas as barlady; I've got the original tx handy)

And I could swear that's David Walliams as one half of Bunce 'n' Burner in the third edition of The End Of The Road Show

Darrell

Quote from: "benthalo"Comic Relief 2003 (both appear in the two Blankety Blank sketches)

Got this, though have avoided putting it up so far as I'm not sure how well it would work on audio.

Quote from: "benthalo"Comic Relief 2001 (Rock Profile live/pre-recorded contribution; iffy off-air as I remember)

Ah... this the one which climaxes in Elton John and David Furnish interviewed in the studio by Graham Norton? Ideal for the site, that, though the pre-recorded sketchlets probably wouldn't work in audio.

Quote from: "benthalo"Shooting Stars 2/13 tx 20/12/96 (Sarah White, Frank Bough, John Thomson, Clare Grogan, David Walliams - doesn't get much dialogue as I remember)

Is this his appearance as Soft Alan in the Fruits game at the end?

Quote from: "benthalo"Channel 4 Sitcom Weekend 24 - 25/05/97 (four sketches directed by Edgar Wright)

Ooh, it's the Mash and Peas specials - would be interested in these. I'm led to believe that these are refilmings of an US Sitcoms episode of Mash and Peas itself, though there were a couple that weren't remade for C4. One day I *will* get hold of M&P...

Surprised Paramount haven't repeated it, you'd think they'd have jumped on the bandwagon like UKG2 did with their Rock Profile repeats. They guested as Mash and Peas on other Paramount comedy shows at the time too, I'm told.

Quote from: "benthalo"Apocalypse Tube [Sky One 20/11/99 & C4 01/01/00] (Matt Lucas as barlady; I've got the original tx handy)

Ooh, that's a ideal candidate there.

Quote from: "benthalo"And I could swear that's David Walliams as one half of Bunce 'n' Burner in the third edition of The End Of The Road Show

Really? If so, that's never been documented before.

benthalo

QuoteAh... this the one which climaxes in Elton John and David Furnish interviewed in the studio by Graham Norton? Ideal for the site, that, though the pre-recorded sketchlets probably wouldn't work in audio.

That's the bunny. The Craig David straight to camera VT would work fine. It's just a reworking of the 7 Days piss-take seen in Rock The Blind. Walliams' startled face had me in fits at the time.

QuoteIs this his appearance as Soft Alan in the Fruits game at the end?

Don't remember, sorry. I was checking my old off-airs for guest lists a year or so back and saw him wandering about.

QuoteReally? If so, that's never been documented before.

I was investigating this about a year ago but am yet to find any paperwork which identifies who they were. I've asked a few promoters and circuit-goers of the period and they don't even remember them.

Edit: Just checked google and one entry turned up

http://www.davidwalliams.com/Biography.htm

.... which wasn't there the last time I hunted. It was indeed David Walliams with Jason Bradbury. Quite possibly their only radio or TV appearance. Interesting that the name varies from BBC paperwork, but I'm more inclined to believe the above if Walliams himself supplied the information.

Edit Again: I've just trawled through that site and these popped into my head:

Top Of The Pops It might scare you, but I actually have the studio appearance by Pet Shop Boys performing Liberation! The site claims DW is in the audience.

Attitude Pretty sure I cut out Matt's article on clubbing before burning the rest of the magazine. Will check.

I twigged earlier that I know someone with all of the following:

You Are Here
Boyz Unlimited in full
one episode of Barking - I think I have an unwatched rushes tape somewhere, although it might be Rave.
Sir Bernard's Stately Homes 12/05/99 and 16/06/99

That's me done I think.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "benthalo"Shooting Stars 2/13 tx 20/12/96 (Sarah White, Frank Bough, John Thomson, Clare Grogan, David Walliams - doesn't get much dialogue as I remember)
Is this his appearance as Soft Alan in the Fruits game at the end?
Yerp, that's the bugger. Watched this one just t'other day, by sheer coincidence. And it's odd y'know, I never fancied Clare Grogan before... 8•

Dunno if this is of any use to yer: I remember in the infancy of UK Play, seeing an between-programme sketch thingy with L&W which was in the style of a 70's children's programme (ie. they were wearing brightly-coloured dungarees, that kind of thing), where they were singing nursery-rhyme-type songs (with acoustic guitar), but every song had some nasty ultra-Christian message about burning in hell or Jesus dying on the cross or something at the end.

It was very funny, but I wouldn't ave a Scooby what it was called or owt though.

Darrell

Just noticed someone's linked to your MP3s on the David Walliams Yahoo group, so I'd rename/remove them if you're concerned about excess bandwidth.