Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:28:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Girls Aloud

Started by Ciarán, August 20, 2007, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: Ciarán on August 20, 2007, 09:31:55 PM
And my favourite member of Girls Aloud is Nicola (and that wasn't me tagging to that effect by the way).

No, it was me, because she's lovely and smells of coconuts. High Five!

Hank_Kingsley

Nicola? you're both weird.

Famous Mortimer

The album "The Show" (is it called that?) was pretty excellent, most of the way through. Everything else they've done has been knackers. My conclusion? Their producers and writers for that album were very good.

TC Raymond

They are absolutely bloody awful.

No, this isn't another 'troll', it's just the blindingly obvious fact that I refuse to be brainwashed by the mass media and may occasionally have different opinions to the rest of you.

Not one of them is sexy, attractive or even a six-pinter. They all look like nail bar technicians. Their music is derivative, screechy, aural sludge. And they were spawned by a shit ITV programme.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: [banned troll] on August 21, 2007, 11:06:50 AM
it's just the blindingly obvious fact that I refuse to be brainwashed by the mass media and may occasionally have different opinions to the rest of you.

I'm sure that is not true of the Girls Aloud fans here. You simply cannot help liking something and to try and pretend you don't when you do is stupid. It matters not whether they originated from a shit ITV programme either*.

* Is it actually true? I do believe TC, I just don't know enough about the band, or care enough, to look it up.

TC Raymond

They originated from Popstars : the Rivals.

And I think you CAN help liking something. All the kids who've basically been steamrollered into suddenly liking the most god-awful shite just because their mates or 'the big kids' like it is proof of that.

drberbatov

Jesus, its pop music its not meant to be taken seriously

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: [banned troll] on August 21, 2007, 11:06:50 AMTheir music is derivative, screechy, aural sludge. And they were spawned by a shit ITV programme.
That was way back in 2002, and they didn't even win.  16 singles and 3 albums later, they're not doing too badly given how difficult it is for a pop act to retain a record contract beyond their second single these days.

Not one of them is sexy, attractive or even a six-pinter. They all look like nail bar technicians.
Even if you were right, why should that matter?  Surely it would have been worse if they had chosen the girls based entirely on their looks?

Quote from: [banned troll] on August 21, 2007, 11:06:50 AM...it's just the blindingly obvious fact that I refuse to be brainwashed by the mass media and may occasionally have different opinions to the rest of you.
I imagine the majority of people here aren't fond of Girls Aloud.  Not all of them would post in a Girls Aloud thread, though.

Cack Hen

The Pipettes are the better girl group, anyway. Considerably so.

thugler

Not one of them is sexy, attractive or even a six-pinter. They all look like nail bar technicians.

And you'd turn down ANY of them?
Bollocks.

I think they are alright, but all their good songs are exactly the same.

TC Raymond

Quote from: thugler on August 21, 2007, 02:44:02 PM
And you'd turn down ANY of them?
Bollocks.

I certainly would. I have standards, you know.

thugler

Quote from: [banned troll] on August 21, 2007, 02:44:52 PM
I certainly would. I have standards, you know.

or some sort of weird fetish.

buttgammon

Not one of them is sexy, attractive or even a six-pinter. They all look like nail bar technicians. Their music is derivative, screechy, aural sludge. And they were spawned by a shit ITV programme.

Come on! You obviously must have missed every single picture of them ever put anywhere. Just because they haven't got basketballs on their bloody chests doesn't mean they aren't attractive.

There was an item on 'fetish fashion' in The Guardian magazine the other day (I can't believe I am typing this because it effectively admits that I read The Guardian, The Guardian Magazine and articles about fetish clothing) with a picture of them in it and I don't think any heterosexual man could honestly see that and come to the conclusion that "Not one of them is sexy, attractive or even a six-pinter".

And although I normally have more of a tendancy towards German bands with beards, I'll admit I find some of their songs 'catchy'. See. It's all pouring out of me now.

TC Raymond

mister_enmity

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on August 21, 2007, 01:40:22 PM
That was way back in 2002, and they didn't even win. 

They did win. And I didn't think they would last as long they have, especially with a name like "Girls Aloud."

TC Raymond

Fuck's sake. I say I don't find Girls Aloud attractive and I get flamed.

Hank_Kingsley

Tell the truth, you asked them for their autographs repeatedly and they set attack dogs on you. It's ok...

TC Raymond

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 21, 2007, 04:07:49 PM
Tell the truth, you asked them for their autographs repeatedly and they set attack dogs on you.

No, that was the two girls from the Cartoons. Get your facts right.

Brian Coat

Well at least *one* of them is attractive , the footballers wife one (or are they all linked to footballers?) but yes, completely agree on with you on their music, and their origins .. shame on this thread, shame.

TC Raymond

Quote from: Brian Coat on August 21, 2007, 04:22:12 PM
Well at least *one* of them is attractive , the footballers wife one

She's also a(n allegedly) racist cow who duffs up toilet attendants...
http://www.amiannoying.com/view.aspx?ID=8030

Hank_Kingsley

Yes, but she married a footballer who is both black and gay so she can't be that bigoted now can she?

TC Raymond

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 21, 2007, 04:28:16 PM
Yes, but she married a footballer who is both black and gay

FFS. Ha ha ha.

Ciarán

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 21, 2007, 07:53:59 AM
The album "The Show" (is it called that?) was pretty excellent, most of the way through. Everything else they've done has been knackers. My conclusion? Their producers and writers for that album were very good.

That came from the album 'What Will The Neighbours Say?' - the title of the album is part of the chorus to 'Love Machine'. They've had the same producers and writers on each of their three (soon to be four) albums so far - Xenomania. Maybe you think they just happened upon their best songs at that time, finding a hitherto lost chord or something, and that they then subsequently lost it? 'Chemistry' is the best of Girls Aloud's albums so far. It's not perfect - but it's not far off. 'See The Day' (the cover of the Dee C Lee song) was a bit boring, as was the original ballad 'Whole Lotta History'. But there are at least four tracks on it that should have been singles and weren't ('Models', 'Wild Horses', 'Watch Me Go' and 'Swinging London Town').

Edit: add 'It's Magic' to that list, which musically, is Depeche Mode circa 1983 translated to the 00s.

Ciarán

Quote from: Cack Hen on August 21, 2007, 02:34:19 PM
The Pipettes are the better girl group, anyway. Considerably so.

Are they though? I like The Pipettes a lot, really liked their album and early demo versions of the songs from it, and they're great fun live. But they haven't released anything that's a patch on any of the five Girls Aloud singles I mentioned in the first post.

Ciarán

Quote from: mister_enmity on August 21, 2007, 03:10:22 PM
They did win. And I didn't think they would last as long they have, especially with a name like "Girls Aloud."

They sort of lost because they were dumped with Louis Walsh, whereas Pete Waterman got to take charge of One True Voice. Although one wonders if this fact actually makes that much difference.

Ciarán

Quote from: Brian Coat on August 21, 2007, 04:22:12 PM
Well at least *one* of them is attractive , the footballers wife one (or are they all linked to footballers?) but yes, completely agree on with you on their music, and their origins .. shame on this thread, shame.

Why "shame on this thread"? Like they shouldn't even be discussed? I don't really mind the snobbery of that idea, because to be honest, it makes it all the more enjoyable that some people do discuss them and that this thread can happily co-exist with The Rolling Stones one.

Hank_Kingsley

You can like the Stones and Girls Aloud at the same time without being some ker-azy ecleticist too y'know!
They make (or someone else makes and they sing) damn fine pop music.

TC Raymond

The ginger one's still the worst of a bad bunch though.

Ciarán

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 21, 2007, 04:49:22 PM
You can like the Stones and Girls Aloud at the same time without being some ker-azy ecleticist too y'know!

Of course! But the idea that The Rolling Stones are worthy of a discussion in the way Girls Aloud just are not, is an idea that's interested me since I was a child. Back then it was the consensus that The Beatles were IMPORTANT whereas ABBA were daft Swedes with silly clothes and lipgloss-wearing dolly bird singers who had a catchy song or two, but who were supposedly inherently naff. Even the ABBA revival in the 90s - with its postmodern detatchment - maintained this myth in a way. Same goes for The Bee Gees really.

TC Raymond

Can't wait for the 'ironic' Girls Aloud revival in 2025!