Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:29:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley Snippet

Started by 12 Storey Crisis, February 04, 2004, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi folks, the poster formerly known as Karpit here. I have a tiny bit of info about Nathan Barley, nothing dramatic but I thought it might be of some interest to the Verbwhore posse. Basically, I was talking to Jimmy Carr last week and he mentioned that he auditioned for the show about 18 months ago. The project has been in development for ages, apparently Morris has been a bit on/off with it but it's firmly kicked into gear in the last year or so.

Jimmy played a modern artist in the audition in question, the scene was entirely improvised but in the end he didn't get the part as the casting people felt he "wasn't quite right for the role". I said to Jimmy that the improvisational aspect reminded me of something like Curb Your Enthusiasm, to which he replied, "That could potentially be the kind of style they're going for, but really, that was eighteen months ago, the whole thing is hugely secretive and could easily have changed in the interim."

Morris wasn't present at the audition, and although Carr has seen him around the Talkback offices, he has yet to have a proper meeting with him.

It's funny, when talking to Jimmy, Armando Iannucci and Arthur Mathews, I've found myself making the point that Morris is almost like the Stanley Kubrick of the London comedy scene; hugely secretive about his work and ultra-meticulous in his attention to detail. None of them thought it was an unfair analogy.

As I say, hardly earth-shattering news but I thought it might be of some interest nonetheless.

butnut

Thanks for that. We need all the morsels we can get on this to feed our voracious appetites. At the moment, I'm quite optimistic that this might be really good - but having written that I've now consigned it to being totally shit.

Given the typical verbwhore response to Jimmy Carr it's lucky for him he failed the audition!

Rats

Hehe, I like him me, he insists on presenting shite though. Just imagine that, charlie brooker and jimmy carr with morris making the tea, fantastic.

Neil

Thank christ he didn't get the part.  Nice to hear that Morris is at least trying to use some different actors these days, I'm sick of the sight of Mark heap and the rest to be honest, but JIMMY CARR?  How on earth did he even get a foot through the door?  Morris and Brooker are Seinfeld fans (and Brookre loves Curb IIRC) so perhaps the CYE comparison may hold water after all!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"It's funny, when talking to Jimmy, Armando Iannucci and Arthur Mathews, I've found myself making the point that Morris is almost like the Stanley Kubrick of the London comedy scene; hugely secretive about his work and ultra-meticulous in his attention to detail. None of them thought it was an unfair analogy.
I can see the resemblance, except that Kubrick was known for being a tyrant to work for, and as far as we know CM isn't - quite the opposite in fact (the words "warm" and "generous" seem to get bandied about quite a lot).

imitationleather

Blimey, this is the first time Chris Morris has been mentioned on the forums for a very very long time.

I'd nearly forgotten who he was!

DuncanC

I like Carr. He can't be hated much more than Brooker, surely?

Purple Tentacle

I like Charlie Brooker, although the only decent TV he's ever done was that pretty good half-hour "Art Show" thing after the Channel 4 News.

Oh, and Unnovations wasn't without its moments.

I still pop over to TVGoHome for a quick giggle.

Apesod

I was talking about Jimmy Carr to my friend last year in Edinburgh, when he walked past us from the rear. He must have heard us because he pretended to be talking on a his mobile.

ApexJazz

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I like Charlie Brooker, although the only decent TV he's ever done was that pretty good half-hour "Art Show" thing after the Channel 4 News.

hey hey! i was able to see Art Show thanks to faceless off soulseek. it was Exactly like a Victor Lewis Smith TV show, except...uuhhmm...pretentious.

twatloops

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"

Eeeh, I haven't laughed like that in a while.  I haven't been there in ages.  "Metal Gear Solid News".  Classic.

Pinball

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I like Charlie Brooker, although the only decent TV he's ever done was that pretty good half-hour "Art Show" thing after the Channel 4 News.

Oh, and Unnovations wasn't without its moments.

I thought Unnovations was fantastic.