Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who does what?

Started by t_kingpin, August 25, 2007, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_kingpin

I'm sure this has been covered before and more than certain that many members will be students but what do all you people do for a living?

Just a quick answer will suffice and I'm a nosey bastard.

I'm a Chemical process technician, that means mixing chemicals in quite large propotions making an end product that we generally pass on to large pharmaceutical companies in order to make drugs to make us all better, so I don't have such a bad job, it makes us all better in a small way.

You'se?   

Milo

I'm a Histology and Imaging Technician which involves treating bits of biological tissue to make them compatible with wax, putting them into wax blocks then cutting slices thin enough for microscopy. And operating a fancy laser microscope.

alan nagsworth

I've never been a student and most people argue that I'm going nowhere in life. When I'm not getting stoned and over-analysing the wonder that is planet Earth, or teaching myself how to use Reason, I'm a night porter at a hotel (four stars, don'tcha know!) and have been for the past year or so. I work the bar from 11pm-2am and then set up conference rooms and wedding receptions. When it's not busy I sleep, which is more often than not.

Captain Crunch

Dole Scum.  Although apparently I'm too rich to get any actual dole so I suppose that makes me a toff(er).

The Duck Man

Just about to enter my third year of an English degree at good ole University of Wales, Aberystwyth.

GratefulApe

About to enter my third year of English & Philosophy. Yes, that's two useless degrees for the price of one.

I could always go to film school and eek out a living directing deodrant adverts.

Pythov

Currently Unemployed, but previously did 11 years Pyrotechnic work for MOD & Private agencies and prior to that did a HND In ABERYSTWYTH! (That old Cookdandbombd Aberystwyth connection rears up again).

Ronnie the Raincoat

I work for a cancer charity.

Analrapist

I'm just about to become a Sociology student at York which I suppose means I'm going to be unemployed forever. Hooray!

t_kingpin

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on August 26, 2007, 12:07:22 AM
I work for a cancer charity.

If your not taking the piss I find that quite commendable, I'm thinking of some charritable work myself, I get quite a lot of time off work myself and am looking for something to fill my time. I'd like to get involved with helping young people who make the wrong choices as to their involvement with drug or alcohol abuse.

The Widow of Brid

Housewife/cripple which at present involves mostly spending all day playing Guitar Hero with Von Trousers then hobbling about frantically to get dinner ready before Catalogue gets home so that we can pretend to have had a productive day.

lactating man nips

I recently graduated with a 2.1 in animation and I am now another dole scummer and incredibly poor.

Fry

I'm starting English, Media and Drama courses at college on the 7th of september, and I work part time in a chicken restraunt.

buttgammon

Well, as of next month I'll be at college studying History, Classics and English. I don't have a job though, which is why I'm on the internet morning noon and night.

Fry

Quote from: buttgammon on August 26, 2007, 02:00:43 AM
Well, as of next month I'll be at college studying History, Classics and English. I don't have a job though, which is why I'm on the internet morning noon and night.
I wanted to do Classics, but my college doesn't do a course in it. Which is shit.

t_kingpin

Quote from: lactating man nips on August 26, 2007, 01:39:13 AM
I recently graduated with a 2.1 in animation and I am now another dole scummer and incredibly poor.

I find it quite astonishing the amount of people I know who have degrees who struggle to gain employment with a decent wage. Its a travesty. I myself don't have a degree but earn £27k for my endevours. I work a shift pattern of 2 12Hr day shifs followed by 2 12Hr night shifts followed by 4 days off, then 18 days off for every 7 blocks of 4 on 4 off days that I do, thus unabeling me to work roughly 136 days a year for a bloody big wage..

Tetsuo: Ironmonger

Quote from: GratefulApeeek
Cuh, you English students.

Blue Jam

I'm a PR- just fluffy consumer stuff mind, not political spin or telling people toxic sludge is good for them. My job is ultimately meaningless and I improve the world not one iota but I can live with that.

Sam

I recently graduated from Univeristy with a BA (hons) in Music (got a 2:1, yay!).

I am currently working in a pub, behind the bar, saving money to go to Spain and to a TEFL course. Hopefully I'll be able to find some work over there and stay for a few months. After that I'll probably go back to Norwich to get a proper job and do a Masters.

t_kingpin

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 26, 2007, 02:13:44 AM
I'm a PR- just fluffy consumer stuff mind, not political spin or telling people toxic sludge is good for them. My job is ultimately meaningless and I improve the world not one iota but I can live with that.

Well B.J. As I say we all have to make a living and pay the bills so as long as your not working for Alastair Campbell, who am I to argue!!

Viero_Berlotti

I flunked my "last semester of math"  and so ended up with less than a third which is just a plain BA without honours.

I now run a semi successful e-commerce business for a wealthy entrepreneur friend of mine, and I feel like a cunt for doing so because I don't really deserve it.

SOTS

Quote from: buttgammon on August 26, 2007, 02:00:43 AMWell, as of next month I'll be at college studying History, Classics and English. I don't have a job though, which is why I'm on the internet morning noon and night.

Oh yusss. My mother diesn't expect me to have a job while i'm doing my schoolwork though as i'm always completely knackered all the time already.The studying is the same with me really, except i'm doing my final schooling years within a high school and am studying Higher English, Advanced higher History and Advanced Higher history as well as a couple of units of higher psychology.

Quote from: Fry on August 26, 2007, 02:02:59 AM
I wanted to do Classics, but my college doesn't do a course in it. Which is shit.

See, I wanted to do Higher philosophy. But because of my school's ghastly "column" system, it means that it's in the same column as English which I actually really need to do. So I can't take philosophy. Cunts. This system fucks over so many people who need to do certain subjects to get into universities and such.

Hank_Kingsley

Higher philosophy, sounds like a bunch of students getting stoned and talking about the matrix.

Viero_Berlotti

No, not the matrix, just Plato's cave.

SOTS

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 26, 2007, 02:54:57 AM
Higher philosophy, sounds like a bunch of students getting stoned and talking about the matrix.

Unfortunately not.

Baxter

I'm currently waiting around to start the second year of a chemistry degree, in the mean time however I'm working for a web hosting and managed service company, monkeying around with database architecture and trying to create a web-based customer and server information management system.

Sounds a lot less fun than it is.

I'm teaching Business and English in China, about to go back home for PGCE interviews for a Sept 2008 start to teach French and Spanish, albeit out here again in some international school for poncey kids and get married. Also just starting up an in-house corporate English training company here, partly out of pure interest in running a small business for the first and last time, partly to put one over the corrupt middle-men dopes who've had a monopoly on things for too long (smash the system from the inside out, man) and partly because I can offer something useful, enjoy doing it without the hassle of a million fuckwit administrators and get paid more too.

I'm gonna have to take a break from CaB though or I'll never get anything done, I'm a weak weak man and some of you guys are too funny and/or annoying to resist. It must be a clean break. See you after Christmas, Whores. Don't fight.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I supervise a team opening corporate accounts and doing anti-money laundering checks for a well known foreign exchange. It's pretty boring. But hopefully soon I can get a similar job at an investment bank and earn a ludicrous salary.

Spiteface

Currently working in the Passport office, as a post opener.

I doubt I'll be there much longer though - work's really tailed off, to the extent that they laid off all but 6 of us.  Really pissed of some friends of mine.

Anon

I'm sodding off soon to study English Literature (having spent the summer doing sod all), being a rather impractical sort of person that I am.