Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:21:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nu-Folk-Psychedelia or whatever

Started by alan nagsworth, August 26, 2007, 01:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Is it nu-folk? Psychedelia? I don't really know or care. Artists like Panda Bear and Grizzly Bear (no relation) are good examples of the lush, textured, Wilson-inspired bands I'm trying to describe. Either way I've really been getting into it and yes, this is another one of my probably-not-all-that-interesting-unless-you-like-the-music-itself threads. Panda Bear's new album Person Pitch is beautiful, which I guess is open for discussion or something if you're up for it, I don't know.

Brian Coat

Firstly the Wicker Man soundtrack is a fine example of this kind of music albeit a little old now. And Nick Drake of course. Fast forwarding to more contemporary times, the 'Finders Keepers' record label seems to be pushing this kind of stuff with reissues of undiscovered folk psychedelia, look them up if you are interested- also 'B-Music'.

Phil_A

Psych-folk is a genre I wish I knew more about. I do have "Mrs & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake", which is a very peculiar and haunting album from 1984 recorded by several members of the Cardiacs on a four-track. I haven't really heard anything else quite like it before or since.

Here's couple of (short) tracks from it:
"In a Waiting Room":
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2n7xak

"All The String"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fnz1ib

"At one point it was the summer, the sun shone on one of these days, but we were down in a well so could not see it."

Grizzly Bear's Yellow House is a good album. Can't seem to get into the Animal Collective stuff though, maybe I should give it another listen. Does Joanna Newsom count? Ys is sublime.

The Widow of Brid

If you're into folk-psychedlia I'd really reccomend popping into Psych_folk. It's a livejournal community pretty much dedicated to people posting out of print and hard to get hold of albums. It's general folk-psychedelia rather than just the new wave of bands, obviously, but still a fab resource if you've an interest in the genre. 

And as Brian Coat said. The wicker man soundtrack is vital. Probably my favourite album, fiull stop. Let alone favourite FP album.

quadraspazzed

As ever I'll mention the fantastic and only Callinan-Flynn album 'Freedom's Lament', Irish-pysch-folk from 1971 - now long deleted (only 200 copies were pressed) but available via a very simple google search.

And I've been looking for somewhere to mention the following two albums, and here's at least somewhat relevant:

Roddy Woomble - My Secret is my Silence (apologies for wma-ness)

The lead singer of Idlewild grew a beard and went to live in the middle of nowhere (or something) and produced this excellent indie-folk album.

Roddy Woomble - Act IV

Various - The Ballads of the Book

The brainchild of the above mentioned Mr. Woomble and Chemikal Underground, (mostly) Scottish artists set specially written words by other Scots to (mostly) indie-folk music. Features the likes of Idlewild, Aidan Moffat, Trashcan Sinatras and Malcolm Middleton - all sounding lovely. I just got this and have been listening to it an awful lot.

Foxface - Dreamcatcher (Rody Gorman)
Malcolm Middleton - The Rebel on His Own Tonight (Alan Bisset)

I also posted the Idlewild/Edwin Morgan song (for me, the standout track) in this thread.

fremsley

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - a hugely overlooked band in this field, predicted the current psych-folk thing by at least a decade. Barafundle and Spanish Dance Troupe are essential purchases for anyone with ears.

fanny splendid

Quote from: Mrs Trousers on August 27, 2007, 02:16:49 PM
If you're into folk-psychedlia I'd really reccomend popping into Psych_folk. It's a livejournal community pretty much dedicated to people posting out of print and hard to get hold of albums.

That's a superb link, thanks very much. As a big fan of Happy End, I'll enjoy working my way through the Japanese selections.

sublingual

Quote from: quadraspazzed on August 27, 2007, 03:15:28 PM
Roddy Woomble - My Secret is my Silence (apologies for wma-ness)

The lead singer of Idlewild grew a beard and went to live in the middle of nowhere (or something) and produced this excellent indie-folk album.

Roddy Woomble - Act IV

'My Secret is my Silence' is a great album. I flew up to Edinburgh last year especially to see his final gig, which featured most of the guest musicians, and it was as fantastic as I'd hoped. No idea how well or badly regarded it is in folk circles, but I think it was the Number 1 album in the folk chart for a while. I'd imagine that might not equate to commercial success though.

I hope he does another. Far superior to Idlewild's latest effort. Or maybe I'm just getting old.