Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,485
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Attention Lazy Student Types, HSBC are being bastards

Started by Blumf, August 27, 2007, 10:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Well, they are a bank...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/student_finance/article2332289.ece

Planning to whack graduates with 9.9% interest charges on overdrafts, so if you're off to uni this autumn you might want to keep that in mind at the freshers fairs when they try and sign you up. As for those graduating now, hopefully you can jump ship to a more favourable bank easily.

It's a bit of a shame really, I had good dealings with HSBC when I left uni in a complete financial mess, having interest charges on my overdraft at the time would have been a nasty extra burden, possibly a camel's back breaking straw. It seems a very stupid move as it'd only net them pennies (well pounds, but small change for a big bank) whilst alienating a lot of potential future high earners. It's probably a response to the bank charges mess we've seen recently.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBPiuq6EMU[/youtube]

fanny splendid

In other news, Tesco are now charging for cans of beans, and Waterstones are making you pay for books. And finally, those utter bastards at HMV are forcing you to hand over cash for music and videos.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: fanny splendid on August 27, 2007, 10:21:40 PM
In other news, Tesco are now charging for cans of beans, and Waterstones are making you pay for books. And finally, those utter bastards at HMV are forcing you to hand over cash for music and videos.

Not quite the same though, is it?

fanny splendid

wherearethespoons

Okay you win. I'm the HSBC aren't the twats - I am (the twat).

Blumf

Quote from: fanny splendid on August 27, 2007, 10:25:51 PM
What, charging for a service?

Bare in mind that, 4 years ago, when people (well, not people, students) signed up to these accounts they were told it'd be free for a year or two after graduation.

Lee Van Cleef

Well, we'll be paying for all banking services soon enough.

Still Not George

Quote from: fanny splendid on August 27, 2007, 10:21:40 PM
What is it, shit analogy night on CaB or something?

Actually, Tesco did send debt collectors after me to recover the extra £3 they decided to charge me for beans after I left the store, so you might be on to something.

lactating man nips

I have a 1750 pound overdraft which i have nearly maxed so this news has really made my night.

glitch

I don't quite understand what's going on with my bank account with HSBC. I graduated last year, by rights I shoul dhave my overdraft reduced to a grand and next year down to £500. Yet I can still take out £1500 on my overdraft. I'm not going to say anything or dare push it over a grand so they can possibly charge me interest, but I'd like to know what the fuck is going on.

fanny splendid

Quote from: Nyarrrrrrrrrlathotep on August 27, 2007, 10:44:59 PM
What is it, shit analogy night on CaB or something?

The banks offer a service, then charge for it. Just like any business, whether you're are buying beans or credit, you are going to have to pay. Not difficult, is it?

Blumf

Quote from: fanny splendid on August 28, 2007, 09:19:14 AM
The banks offer a service, then charge for it. Just like any business, whether you're are buying beans or credit, you are going to have to pay. Not difficult, is it?

You're still not getting the bit about this being a surprise charge jumped on people who are in the financial shit. HSBC let people rack up an overdraft in the knowledge that they wouldn't have to pay any charges for it, the bank then turns around and starts demanding money for what was advertised as a free service.

fanny splendid

That's business: as the chicken-shit tagger should know. If you involve yourself in capitalist activities, then expect to get ripped-off by the capitalist system. Man.

I'm not in favour of what they do, which is why I don't use them. I'm sorry if you feel you've been diddled, but I'm sure there was a clause in that fat little book of rules you were given when you signed up for the service which stated that they could change the way they do business with you, whenever and however they want. No, it's not fair.

Just don't pay them back.

Milo

9.9% is a bit harsh isn't it? Can get credit cards with lower rates than that. Well, people who aren't in financial shit can.

Cack Hen

Are we not supposed to complain about extortionate capitalism anymore?

Carlos Tevez

Quote from: fanny splendid on August 28, 2007, 10:59:16 AM
That's business: as the chicken-shit tagger should know. If you involve yourself in capitalist activities, then expect to get ripped-off by the capitalist system. Man.

I'm not in favour of what they do, which is why I don't use them. I'm sorry if you feel you've been diddled, but I'm sure there was a clause in that fat little book of rules you were given when you signed up for the service which stated that they could change the way they do business with you, whenever and however they want. No, it's not fair.

Just don't pay them back.

Duuhhh.

Ciarán

The cynicism of those bank adverts is very annoying. I think it was Bank Of Ireland who ran a campaign where in the ads a student goes in for a loan says "I need the loan for books..." (cut to shot of the student buying a carry out of beer), "for stationery..." (cut to student partaking of some extreme sport or other...) and "for commuting expenses" (cut to student playing a one armed bandit and smoking a big cigar or something). then the voiceover intoned "Whatver you want a loan for, go to the Bank Of Ireland..."

In other words, "students are lying, scrounging bastards who should go out and get a proper job like in a fucking bank, but we'll deign to give them a loan and make money off their intrest anyway..."

I'm going to into a bank during fresher's week and ask for a loan because I want to go and get pissed, sleep with some prostitutes and buy lots of cocaine!

Kapuscinski

TV Licence adverts are the same, with the lazy student slumped over his books. It's possible that they are meant to reinforce the stereotype of the students to non-students, so when they complain about banks/TV Licencing other people can say "Well, no doubt you were down the Union Bar playing pool".

Hank_Kingsley

Maybe it will encourage people to do degrees which lead to financially viable careers and in turn encourage corporations to sponsor students during their time at University in exchange for getting a higher standard of applicant.

fanny splendid

Cack Hen

Pfft, I can't even get a student account because I owe two hundred pounds in overdraft fees (I went overdrawn by three quid and it spiraled, y'see) so no bank will even consider giving me one.

I can see why not, I mean it is a debt that shows up on my credit report, but they must realise this is quite a bit different, they'd make much more money out of me in the long term if they gave me a student account.

But nooo.

hencole

Why do students think they deserve free overdrafts? Statistics say they will earn more than non-graduates over their life time so why do they expect all these privilidges? Afterall the majority of them will have pissed this money on booze anyway.
Whilst I'm for free further education for all, sadly that isn't how the world works and I don't see why I should subsidise someone to have a bigger earnings advantage over me and then listen to them whinning. I mean fuck if they even voted I'd listen to them more, but they don't the lazy fucks.

Still Not George

Quote from: hencole on August 31, 2007, 11:55:05 AMWhy do students think they deserve free overdrafts? ... whine whine whine... self interested bollocks... why haven't I started reading the Mail yet?

Selfish crap asode. I rather think that they deserve free overdrafts that they were told they were getting. Y'know, cos otherwise HSBC would be lying con artists.

Kapuscinski

Quote from: hencole on August 31, 2007, 11:55:05 AM
Why do students think they deserve free overdrafts? Statistics say they will earn more than non-graduates over their life time so why do they expect all these privilidges? Afterall the majority of them will have pissed this money on booze anyway.
Whilst I'm for free further education for all, sadly that isn't how the world works and I don't see why I should subsidise someone to have a bigger earnings advantage over me and then listen to them whinning. I mean fuck if they even voted I'd listen to them more, but they don't the lazy fucks.

What about students who don't go to university to improve their career, but simply to increase their understanding of a subject? And some courses are vocational, allowing some students to become nurses or carers. If interst-freee overdrafts enable these people to go into underpaid vocations such as these simply because they enjoy helping people, surely that's a good thing.

Blumf

There's an interesting program on C4 now about the way financial companies jerk you around with debt. Worth trying to catch it on C4+1 if you can.