Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

£34.99 (all-in) for a multiregion & MP3 DVD player

Started by Pinball, April 05, 2004, 10:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

I've bought 3 from amazon for various relatives. Incredible! Unsurprisingly it's the no.1 selling item on amazon. How long before they sell out? ;-)

Clicky

Blunkett knows how much profit the companies make on "regularly priced" players. Where would we be without Chinese sweatshops?

Tokyo Sexwhale

I'm more than happy with my Tothiba.

Actually it plays NTSC discs without going all black-and-white!?!?!?  Can you verify that this works Pinball - I might buy one after all.

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Quote from: "Pinball"Where would we be without Chinese sweatshops?

Dunno, but I bet the Chinese working in them would probably be happier without them. Special Economic Zones my arse, it's borderline slavery.

Pinball

I guess communist peasants make the best (and cheapest) factory slaves. Disgusting exploitation.

Pinball

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"I'm more than happy with my Tothiba.

Actually it plays NTSC discs without going all black-and-white!?!?!?  Can you verify that this works Pinball - I might buy one after all.
I'll check it ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht

MojoJojo

Pinball

Quote from: "MojoJojo"Yamada - a brand name you can trust.
I'm gonna put one in my loft, along with a pachinko machine. A veritable oriental cornucopia of goodness ;-)
If
it
works
:-o

Good reviews on amazon tho, so it must be ok..

terminallyrelaxed

Superb! Wish I wasn't completely skint, thats a damn fine price for all those features, especially all the audio stuff. I assume by 'all in' you mean including VAT? I couldnt find any mention on the page, and can't be arsed to 'almost' buy it.

Niall Quim

That's bloody fantastic, especially considering my current bog-standard player cost £80 and packs in every few months (I'm using a replacement now, and even this one's starting to show signs of fuckuppery).

I'm after one of these, but I'm sure I'm missing some catch, being able to bung 5 or 6 films on a dvd-r and play them on this seems a bit too sexy to believe.

Bill Oddie

Just a quick question:

Do DVDs made in Japan for Japanese DVD players containing Japanese films made by Japanese people working for Japanese anime studios in Japan work on UK DVD players? The region is the same but is there any other reason (like PAL / NTSC stuff) that will cause a fuck up on UK t.v.s etc?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Bill Oddie.

El Unicornio, mang

Japan, like the USA of America, uses NTSC. Most TV's have NTSC playback built in though, so there shouldn't be any problems.

If only America could do the same and make their TV's all PAL compatible seeing as how THAT'S WHAT THE MAJORITY OF THE WORLD USES!!!! Grrrrr

bill hicks

Quote from: "Bill Oddie"Just a quick question:

Do DVDs made in Japan for Japanese DVD players containing Japanese films made by Japanese people working for Japanese anime studios in Japan work on UK DVD players? The region is the same but is there any other reason (like PAL / NTSC stuff) that will cause a fuck up on UK t.v.s etc?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Bill Oddie.

Yep it'll work, but make sure to check there are English subtitles on the disc. I know someone who didn't and ended up with a coaster. He even attempted to watch it with a Japanese phrase book handy. Sad twat.

blue jammer

Looks like a bargain, however I'd like to see how many last a year!

There are a lot of cheap players on the market thesedays, most aren't very well made, and won't last a year if that.

If you pay £100 for a DVD player, you'll get something decent, over £200 and it'll last 2/3 years or more.

Then again from the review

QuoteI hope it will last forever but at this price who cares.

With nowadays throwaway society, it doesn't really matter I suppose...

Best of luck with it!

Timmay

Asda* have been selling a multi-region MP3 playing DVD player for £39.99 since waaaaaaay before Christmas.

* I don't actually shop in Asda. My brother does. He's northern see. It's not his fault. I'm a Waitrose man meself.

Pinball

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Superb! Wish I wasn't completely skint, thats a damn fine price for all those features, especially all the audio stuff. I assume by 'all in' you mean including VAT? I couldnt find any mention on the page, and can't be arsed to 'almost' buy it.
Yes, including VAT. The P&P is free if you select "super saver delivery" (free for orders > £29.99). It's great for all those relatives who won't buy a goddamn DVD player, so you can't share DVDs with them. So I'm buying them one. Of course, you know what comes next:

"What leads do I need?"
"Your region 1 disks don't work? How can I change region?"
etc.

Ah well ;-)

Pinball

Quote from: "Timmay"Asda* have been selling a multi-region MP3 playing DVD player for £39.99 since waaaaaaay before Christmas.

* I don't actually shop in Asda. My brother does. He's northern see. It's not his fault. I'm a Waitrose man meself.
I bet it's the same Chinese manufacturer, turning DVD players out by the bucketload, bless 'em. How bloated Western corporations will ever make money again I'll never know :-)))

It's good of amazon to make this cheapo stuff available, as they must be under a huge amount of pressure from the majors not to do so. They might be stopped like Tesco was with Levis though (i.e. for sourcing goods from outside EU), but then this is an unknown manufacturer. I'd bet any money the same manufacturer churns out players for the likes of Sony...

Pinball

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Can you verify that this works Pinball - I might buy one after all.
Checked it today - works fine. It's a slim machine, seems well made, and auto-detects different regions without any pissy remote control tapping. I tried regions 1, 2 & 4.

Has scart & SVHS outputs, and even optical out for dolby dig. Nice.