Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 years ago today.

Started by boxofslice, August 31, 2007, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chutney

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on August 31, 2007, 03:06:35 PM
Pedant time - I think you'll find it's paparazzi with one p and no e not papperazzi.

EDIT: And the plural is paparazzi not paperazzi, again no e.

Yeah, I noticed that my own spellings were a tad inconsistent.  Although I quite like that in a pedant alert.

The point still stands though...

wherearethespoons

Pedant time - I think you'll find it's paparazzi with one p and no e not papperazzi.

EDIT: And the singular is paparazzo not paperazzo, again no e.

Pedant time - you're all whistly wordy wankers.

Blumf

EDIT: And the singular is paparazzo not paperazzo, again no e.

But what's the collective noun?

Viero_Berlotti

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Chutney on August 31, 2007, 03:10:16 PM
The point still stands though...

Actually no it doesn't, unless there was only one photographer following her. As I recall there was a PHALANX of paps following her.

Chutney

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 31, 2007, 03:40:27 PM
Actually no it doesn't, unless there was only one photographer following her. As I recall there was a PHALANX of paps following her.

But the woman said "that" paparazzo, not "those" paparazzo.  So it does still stand.  Alright?

We were supposed to be pompously sneering at her use of language rather than her recollection of the facts of the incident, weren't we?

wherearethespoons

Guys, guys - look at us. Squabbling, bickering, like children.

boxofslice

Quote from: Chutney on August 31, 2007, 03:47:53 PM
But the woman said "that" paparazzo, not "those" paparazzo.  So it does still stand.  Alright?

We were supposed to be pompously sneering at her use of language rather than her recollection of the facts of the incident, weren't we?

Im sorry i wrote it now.

Chutney

Told you I liked bickering, didn't I?  But oh no, you had to test me...

boxofslice

Backstage With Slowdive

Diana wouldn't want us to squabble over Italian pronunciation.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on August 31, 2007, 04:35:32 PM
Diana wouldn't want us to squabble over Italian pronunciation.

You're all forgetting the real reason we're here today, Father Christmas' birthday

El Unicornio, mang

All I remember is Elton John's eyebrow going crazy in that church

uncleoswald

What would Princess Diana be doing now if she was still alive?

Scratching the fuck out the lid of her coffin.

Cack Hen

Does anyone remember The Big Breakfast on the week after she snuffed it? They got Richard Bacon and Vanessa Feltz all dressed up in black and they conducted the whole show in the most controlled, softly-spoken thing I've probably ever seen. It was funny, though, when you consider what The Big Breakfast was usually like. I remember Vanessa saying something like

"and my kids say to me, "mummy, what's going on" and they're just too young to understand...they're just too young. Here's Phil Gayle with the news and weather."

lactating man nips

Haha Phil Gayle! He meant more to me than Diana ever did.

What do people make of the commonly held assumption that Diana death was a conspiracy?

Blumf

Prince Harry says your mum is crap.

I may be paraphrasing a bit.

weirdbeard

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on August 31, 2007, 11:52:53 AM
I remember my video recording of the Chart Show (I didn't have cable TV then and the Radio Times advertised this show as having Radiohead's Creep on it) being messed up by this whole thing as they cut to the news.

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qePrqKtnKNU[/youtube]

SOTS

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPbPsTUxobg&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

This is how some rather camp gay men in the US of A took the news. Most of the video is quite crap but the one moment just after thirty seconds in makes up for it.

As for the video above, does anyone else find it funny the way Dermot thingy emphasises the word "DEAD" every single time he says it? It's the way he pronounces it. I'm sure the queen was pissed off at ITN ruining her recording of the chart show as well.

Quote from: Anon on August 31, 2007, 02:25:53 PM
Yeah, I remember my reaction to her death quite clearly - intense annoyance that this bloody stupid royal person had to go and fuck-up Sunday morning kids tv by selfishly dying in the middle of the night.

That's pretty much my memory of it as well. Even though I was away camping when it actually happened, I remember coming back home and spending the week with constant Diana news rather than my telly programmes after school. Grr.

Uncle TechTip

"Unconfirmed sources say she suffered concussion and severe cuts and bruises". That was the line on the radio too I distinctly remember, because I thought "well this isn't going to get any more exciting" and went to sleep. Those unconfirmed sources were a bit off the mark.

EDIT: And what the thing about the Press Association reporting the death 'unofficially', I read once that by that time (3.30am?) all the news orgs knew she was dead, and they were waiting for a timed announcement, and PA just broke the embargo ahead of time and announced the news, probably from "unconfirmed sources" again. Anyone close to industry know how this works?

Mr. Analytical

Did anyone watch any of that remembrance service?

It really struck me how dour and miserable Christianity really is.  Miserable songs, people reading seemingly completely unrelated bits out of a book and priests making speeches that veer between inane pablum and incomprehensible philosophy.  How did Christianity ever come to dominate this country, I really struggle to understand how people managed to get out of bed every sunday morning to sit through an hour of that shit.  The fact that this was all delivered by ugly posh people and beardy priests looking out over an ocean of ugly posh people all sitting in a military chapel as though they're attending the funeral of some noted general from the Crimean War.

I'm no fan of Diana but surely nobody deserves a remembrance service that utterly joyless and constipated.

The other thing that struck me is what if someone in public life dies and they're an atheist.  Either they'll just bulldoze over it and issue some CofE bollocks or the entire British state will fall apart as a result of not having the right kind of ceremony planned out.

alan nagsworth

I remember it like t'were yesterday. We were in the car on the way to Alton Towers, my mom was devastated. I, on the other hand, got to Alton Towers, rode all the rides and had a fucking great time.

chand

Quote from: weirdbeard on August 31, 2007, 06:52:13 PM
[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qePrqKtnKNU[/youtube]

Dear God, ten years of mentally blocking out 'Bingo' by Catch comes to an end. If only someone could have died every time it came on the radio.

Look what's on ITV4 tonight:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0089118/fullcredits

One of those producers looks awfully familiar.

Beagle 2

Bloody hell, Catch, I'd totally forgotten about those things, arse end of britpop sign literally everyone syndrome there, tara yer shitters.

I mean, by his grey face Owen clearly knows early on in that clip doesn't he? I've heard that too many times for it to be false by the way about the PA embargo breakage Techtip, it all seems rather strange anyone would be confident of press falling in line for such a piece of juice, especially in this age of instant reportage. Interesting how the ITN royal correspondent attempts to immediately criticise press intrusion into the life of a royal, News an Ten must have been full of that shit the week leading up to it.

ITV must have caught up terribly late on then, I was watching on BBC ages before that, and I certainly never saw any footage of car wreckage being lifted or anything, just that one long shot of the tunnel. Like Techy said, it got boring after a bit.

Why do I absolutely love watching old news flashes, the more terrible the news the better? It just fascinates me, and if I ever see one in the flesh I get a tingle like nothing else. Blood lust I suppose. Actually, since I saw the September the 11th one live that's not been as strong, I didn't actually want the news to be THAT bad....

chocky909

Quote from: waste of chops on August 31, 2007, 11:36:51 PM
Look what's on ITV4 tonight:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0089118/fullcredits

One of those producers looks awfully familiar.

Are you saying what I think your saying?

That he used what he learnt during the making of that film to create animatronic Dodi and Dianas and staged the whole thing and they're actually living it up on a dessert ireland somewhere in the Pacific?

Uncle TechTip

Controversy over Diana crash pictures that are supposed to be taboo in this country - they turned up on a CBS News repeat on Sky News. Story Video

Quote from: chocky909 on August 31, 2007, 11:54:58 PM
Are you saying what I think your saying?

That he used what he learnt during the making of that film to create animatronic Dodi and Dianas and staged the whole thing and they're actually living it up on a dessert ireland somewhere in the Pacific?

Actually I wasn't, but I like the way you think.