Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, September 03, 2007, 12:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/archive.asp

Anyone else a listener to this fine podcast? There's 110 programmes archived so far and I'm gradually working my way through them. It's a totally gripping show - not just for its admirable anti-mumbo-jumbo stance and the way the presenters assume their listeners are their intellectual equals, but for its general good "humor". I just love the lugubriousness of the host Steven Novella.

Famous Mortimer

I also love listening to this show, although they occasionally drift into some weird political waters. I suppose that represents the views of the hosts, and the majority of them I agree with pretty much totally.

Anyway, yes, it's a great show, I've been listening for ages. You've got some interesting listening coming up.

Koant

I used to listen to it (actually even before they sorted out the podcast - you had to download to mp3s manually in them days.) but stopped at some point simply because I've subscribed to many many podcasts and cannot possibly go through everything.
If you like this kind of podcasts though, I recommend Point Of Inquiry, great discussions and guests.
http://pointofinquiry.org/

You do like your skepticism don't you Lala? Careful, it's not good for you, it's very seductive.

I've just listened to the first podcast (at least the first on the site, they seem to suggest there were earlier ones) and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest (and theres shit loads too! This'll keep me going for months!) So thanks a lot for posting them.

Godzilla Bankrolls

This is the only podcast I listen to regularly (since the Baker ones have gone capitalist). Endlessly fascinating, even if they're revisiting an old topic - and an excellent way to learn about science in general. There's so many weird things that I've just taken for granted until hearing it explained on this; black holes, the big bang, out-of-body experiences, cryogenics, imortality, scientific method, the Singularity etc.

They appear to have an endless list of great interviewees too. Phil Plait's enthusiasm is infectious, Susan Blackmore is a great beacon for those who want to find out about their fantastical/mystical experiences, the justifiably defeated curmudgeon who investigates school textbooks, and the edition with comic book artist Neal Adams has to be heard to be believed.

Dr Novella's an inspiration - the man's a hard-working polymath who could easily earn truckloads more money, but he's out there constantly learning and researching, and trying his hardest to raise public consciousness. I wish he was my GP.

Anyone who's been following it for a while must have been shocked by the death of Perry DeAngelis. Touching to hear the Rogues slip into Perry imitations on the most recent one, consciously or otherwise.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on September 04, 2007, 11:22:56 AM
Anyone who's been following it for a while must have been shocked by the death of Perry DeAngelis. Touching to hear the Rogues slip into Perry imitations on the most recent one, consciously or otherwise.
I've missed since ep.101, and didn't realise. Damn, that is sad news.

Harry Coal

I've listened to the first three of these.  They're excellent, thank you for the recommendation.

AC

Hmmm, I see one of the ones features an interview with Steven Milloy. Is this the Fox News, Coporate Social Responsibility Watch/JunkScience.com founder, in the pockets of the tobacco industry?

Yes it is it would seem. A bit of a shame really.

I think one of his big things was insisting that only really, really, really high relative risk results in relevant studies should count as any evidence for second hand smoke being harmful, which for one I think he was massively gunned down for.

How does that 'cast go? Is he treated as credible or does any that stuff get bought up? I might jump to that actually after getting through a couple I already downloaded.

EDIT: Ah, didn't realise there were so many, and it goes back two years. This one is actually back near the very start, #12.

This should probably go into a religious thread (does Cab have them?) but this one will do.
It's a Sam Harris lecture, interesting for his outright criticism of Islam and Christianity, infact he pre-warns his audience that he will offend some of them with his views.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p40sau

Koant

No questions about reincarnation or psi ? Damn, missed opportunity there.
http://skepdic.com/news/newsletter74.html#3

I fully agree with Harris, Dawkins and others that religious beliefs shouldn't be allowed to go unchallenged etc. but it's funny how Harris seems to pick and choose what to attack or not. Granted, psi believers don't have the same opportunities to influence world events than other more mainstream religions but still, there's no reason why they shouldn't be asked for as much as any other ideas about nature.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: AC on September 05, 2007, 09:24:23 PM
Hmmm, I see one of the ones features an interview with Steven Milloy. Is this the Fox News, Coporate Social Responsibility Watch/JunkScience.com founder, in the pockets of the tobacco industry?

Yes it is it would seem. A bit of a shame really.

I think one of his big things was insisting that only really, really, really high relative risk results in relevant studies should count as any evidence for second hand smoke being harmful, which for one I think he was massively gunned down for.

How does that 'cast go? Is he treated as credible or does any that stuff get bought up? I might jump to that actually after getting through a couple I already downloaded.

Dr Novella challenges and asserts his opposition on a few points during the interview - not just regarding second-hand smoke, but his climate change claims too. They refer back to him in subsequent podcasts (especially as litigation was rearing it's head), so he doesn't get off the hook.

AC

Excellent - thanks for that. Look forward to listening.