Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have I Got Fresh Information For You

Started by Jemble Fred, April 06, 2004, 10:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Angus keeps on trying...

YAHOO
Deayton set for news quiz return

By by Rachael Jolley

Former Have I Got News For You host Angus Deayton is in talks with ITV about compering a rival news quiz show.

The move would signal Deayton's return to quizmaster status after being sacked by the BBC two years ago over claims about drug use and encounters with prostitutes.

An ITV spokeswoman confirmed it was in talks with Deayton and a production company "along those lines". But, she said, nothing had been signed.

Deayton found stardom in the cut and thrust of the BBC2 hit and was often the butt of jokes made by regulars Paul Merton and Ian Hislop.

But his career has not bounced back to the same level after he was sacked because of his steamy personal life. The ITV quiz show is rumoured to be called Bognor Or Bust and would have seaside trips as prizes.

Oh my Jesusing god. Bad idea. Is this what doing shite like Nighty Night leads to? I can't help thinking... ITV Satirical Quiz Show... Get Gloria Hunniford to host it. No doubt it would have, let's see... Dominic Holland and Lauren Laverne as regular captains... and would last for three episodes. Sometimes I watch HIGNFY these days and don't think there's room for one topical news quiz on telly, let alone two.

By the by, has anyone else wasted cash on the HIGNFY audiotape/CD? Absolute sodding rip-off. Rather than go through the archives and put together three or four hours of audio hilarity, it's very much a HatTrick botch job, ripping the soundtrack off the latest DVD, and then editing it even further to show Angus up as the coke-sniffing, ho-fucking loser he certainly could be. But to ignore over a decade of fantastic performances is nowt short of sick. It's a nasty little release. But then, I bought it at the same time as the Pythons audio autobiography, which is a bit more interesting, so never mind.

But even that tape's clearly just Part One, which is rather cheeky.

benthalo

You've got me confused. The latest DVD is the purely guest hosts one, and it came out around the same time as the CD. Do you mean it's an edit of the first DVD, which covered the first ten years fairly well but had too much Angus kicking towards the end? Or it starts with that revolting edition which Merton hosted?

Sorry, I'm half asleep at the moment. I'm guessing it's the former as I recall Angus being on the cover.

Jemble Fred

Hang on - didn't the recent DVD also have Angus' downfall on it?

Basically the BBC Tape is the whole Angus baiting end of his HIGNFY career on one tape, and the guest presenters on the other. You'd think they could have got Merton at least to pop in and do a bit of a Nicholas Parsons 'Silver Minutes' style commentary.

benthalo

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Hang on - didn't the recent DVD also have Angus' downfall on it?

I've only watched the extended Boris Johnson show and the extras, but I thought it was the Clunes, Hague and Forsyth editions fleshed out with the other guest hosts on disc 1. The first DVD release goes up until his sacking and slightly beyond, giving a lot of time over to it. Perhaps it's that?

Does Rebecca Front squeeze onto the second CD? I did wonder.

QuoteYou'd think they could have got Merton at least to pop in and do a bit of a Nicholas Parsons 'Silver Minutes' style commentary.

Hislop & Merton did the commentary for the whole of the first DVD release, which is a mixture of pleasure and pain. They did a specially shot 20min chat about each guest host on the Guests DVD, which runs out of steam pretty quickly.

Merton commenting on Deayton always turns my stomach, so I wouldn't champion your idea.

Jemble Fred

Yeah, I know, I've got both DVDs, as will most fans, which is rather why you'd think they'd make some kind of effort for the audio version. You live and learn...

QuoteBut his career has not bounced back to the same level after he was sacked because of his steamy personal life.

I think Mastercard missed a trick there to be honest...

QuoteHotel room for two hours: £150

S&M prozzer for full-on sex with a bit of french added: £200

Piece of apparatus for cutting out a perfect line of cocaine: priceless

I think it might have been Barclaycard Angus did, but fuggit.

Darrell

QuoteA spokeswoman for the BBC1 show said: "When we look for new guest hosts we always check anyone who is in the public eye and available to be on the show. Greg is very much in the public eye and he is available.

Hang on, that's the reason they used to sack Deayton...

alan strang

Quote from: "Darrell"Hang on, that's the reason they used to sack Deayton...

Deayton wasn't sacked because of his prostitutes and cocaine. That whole situation was one of the biggest and most embarrassingly successful lies the BBC ever perpetrated in the name of selling comedy.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "alan strang"

Deayton wasn't sacked because of his prostitutes and cocaine. That whole situation was one of the biggest and most embarrassingly successful lies the BBC ever perpetrated in the name of selling comedy.

I thought that the blame for Deayton's tarring and feathering was to be firmly laid at the feet of Hat Trick? They were the ones making all the announcements at the time. They're also the ones who put the BBC Audio tape together which, as I say, is a handy guide to 'Why Angus was a filthy fucker and we're better off without him'.

Darrell

Quote from: "alan strang"

I meant to say 'excuse' rather than 'reason', I should probably point out.

It's all bollocks of course, but the myth has nestled in the grimy pubes of so many BBC employess, journalists and opportunistic scumbos so much that trying to explain to anybody the truth is like attempting to teach a pig to drive.

mrpants

I don't want to seem out of the loop or anything but why was he sacked then?

alan strang

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I thought that the blame for Deayton's tarring and feathering was to be firmly laid at the feet of Hat Trick? They were the ones making all the announcements at the time. They're also the ones who put the BBC Audio tape together which, as I say, is a handy guide to 'Why Angus was a filthy fucker and we're better off without him'.

I think we can go further than that and point the blame directly at Jimmy Mulville. The rumours suggest there was a personal motivation for his actions which go back a long way.

I've heard stories about Mulville's business methods which suggest he's extremely conniving and nasty. Deayton certainly indulged in the prostitutes and coke, but Mulville certainly set up the aftermath and exploited it to get shot of him.

The BBC followed suit by carrying the drugs and whores story on their main news show. Merton and Hislop also enjoyed repeating it, despite knowing full well that didn't paint the full picture (some satire show, eh?). And everyone else just went along with it unquestioningly, repeating that brain-bypass mantra: "Well, Deayton had *become* the news - his position had become untenable" and engaging in idiotic, blind conversations about who should replace him instead of saying "Now hang on a second..."

The Radio Active reunion was interesting. When Deayton walked onto the soundstage he practically got a standing ovation. All the past RA producers were there that night too. Except one, obviously.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

The Mulville story's true enough. But it's odd - people never seem that interested in it. They prefer to just sit back and have 'Well I think it should be John Sergeant IMHO' type conversations with themselves.

I was always suspicious about how they managed to line up all those A-list guest-presenters at such short notice.

Guest presenters?  I thought Alexander Armstrong had been given the job.

QuoteHalf of comic duo Armstrong and Miller, he has starred in wacky sitcoms Beast and tlc.

"Wacky".  One day the Thesaurus will catalogue "wacky" with the entry "see Shite".

Jemble Fred

No, the Armstrong thing has been proved officially bum. Hence the Dyke story.

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Hence the Dyke story.

Sounds like another Angus shocker.