Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dance Thread (electronic dance haters welcome!)

Started by alan nagsworth, September 05, 2007, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Where I come from, it's not the genre of music, it's the danceability of the tune. We like nothing more than to get a good dance on to some liberally used open hi-hats and funky bass lines, be it Klaxons (admittedly, for me they were great before they got hyped to death), Pendulum, Chemical Brothers or Faithless. There's always been good dance music in every genre of music that stood out. The Happy Mondays and Gang Of Four are good examples of that, and the scene (not really a scene, more of a unity through DANCE, BABY!) continues to thrive with people like me who enjoy the good vibes and just get on down, rather than be picky because it's not electronica, or because it's not indie, in some cases. With that in mind I don't think there can be much negative whinging in this thread, because everyone likes a dance and if you don't then YOU ARE A HOMOSEXUAL, MY FRIEND!

Dance that I'm into - Artist (Album)
!!! (any)
Out Hud (S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D.)
Gang Of Four (any)
The Prodigy (Experience)
Any drum n' bass, preferably jungle
Junior Senior (D-D-Don't Stop The Beat)
Spank Rock (any)
Shy Child (Noise Won't Stop)
Daft Punk (any)
SebastiAn (any)
Luke Vibert (any)
RJD2 (Dead Ringer)
The Rapture (Echoes and all albums prior to it)
The Go! Team (any)
Chemical Brothers (Surrender)
Beastie Boys (any)
etc etc

So without further ado, dance like nobody's watching! (Post like nobody's tagging)

Jemble Fred

It's all 'boom boom boom' and you can't whistle it.

And I sleep with ladies, not men.

As you was.

(Sorry, it's like putting a cake out to cool on the windowsill next door to Jo Brand)

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 04:16:11 AM
There's always been good dance music in every genre of music

Well, exactly.  The Blue Danube, Wipeout, Back In The USSR, Agadoo, Sally MacLennane and Spike Jones's Hawaiian War Chant are all dance music.  As are most of the records by Chubby Checker, including that one he did with the Fat Boys.

chand

!!! (any)

Saw these guys live at a festival in Zagreb the other week and they almost, ALMOST got my chin-stroking avant-rock white-boy ass moving, which is some feat. Their records are great but I was really impressed with them live, and Mrs Chand was busting moves like a mad thing.

I love S.T.R.E.E.T.D.A.D by Out Hud too, although I never think of it as a dancey record, it's something I sit and listen to and get absorbed by the textures and the way all the instrumentation interlocks perfectly.

wherearethespoons

Somebody said to me a while back that dance music is too repetitive. And I had to stop myself screaming, 'That's fucking part of it. You need to know where it's going in order to dance.'

And if you're off your face (like nagsworth) there's nothing better than knowing how the beat will go and getting in a nice little rhythm.

You can't really say 'any' for Daft Punk though because they have quite a few chilled bits too. Vibert is a good as is Wink. But Underworld have always been the daddies for me. nagsworth, have you heard their earliest two albums as Underworld (when they switched from Freur)? Change the Weather and Underneath the Radar - now listen to them and not want to get a jiggle on.

Roni Size is another good one. And pretty much any set by Carl Cox.

EDIT: Uploaded track ten from Underworld's Underneath the Radar - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dan.marsh/thegodsong.mp3

Give it a minute or so. One of my mates gets sick of me saying that. I'll go, 'here listen to this track' and he'll get bored straight away and I keep saying, 'wait for it to kick in, wait for it to kick in.' And then he's left by the time it does.

buttgammon

With me and dance, there's just none word at the moment - Justice. Irresistible funk with bits of noise thrown in just for fun. Their album is also just about the most day-glo concoction since George Clinton took Blaxpoliation into outer space with his p-funk and is the most fun thing I've heard for ages.

At the moment, I'm also finding 'Idealism' by Digitalism impossible not to jump around and move to - especially the brilliant track 'Pogo' and their screwed up version of 'Fire In Cairo' by The Cure of all people. And !!!, LCD Soundystem, New Young Pony Club etc are also my recommendations for anyone who just wants to dance.

I'd also mention some D 'n' B but I'm not too up to date with the latest drum 'n' bass even though I love the genre so there's probably somebody who would be in a better position to mention that than me.

boxofslice

If you're looking to drop some foot, you've got to got with some old school funk or a bit of northern soul. Can't get into a lot of so called dance music around now, there just no emotion in it.

Viero_Berlotti

Let me take this opportunity to provide a link to a mix by UK electro legend Ed DMX (nothing to do with DMX the American gangster rapper) and when I say electro I mean proper electro, not shit like The Gossip and The Klaxons which inexplicably are described as electro by the kids of today. This mix from his website is pretty much a potted history of dance music from early electro to South London grime and dubstep. Well worth a listen:

The Mix: http://www.basswarp.com/guests/edmxonthemix.mp3

DMX Krew website: http://www.dmxkrew.com/

A few other new mixes on there as well which would be well worth a download.

buttgammon

Thanks. I like the sound of that mix - I'll give it a try.

As for the insinuation that The Klaxons and The Gossip may be considered electro (not by yourself but by some idiots) surely they have to actually have some electronics in their music apart from a bit of synth in one or two tracks to be considered 'electro'? I guess the people who may call them that aren't considering why 'electro' must be called electro. It's not short for electric guitar!

Emma Raducanu

I'm only ever on the dancefloor when Born Sleepy comes on and usually consists of me just holding my hands up in the air wondering what the hell I'm doing. I'd love to be able to river dance and just use that over any song in a club, just to baffle and amuse people.

Viero_Berlotti

I think it's what cool people call any music that's danceable these days. Rather than describing a particular sub genre of dance music, it is now used to describe dance music as a whole. I felt like a right old git when I tried to educate my girlfriends younger sister about proper electro, when she kept referring to The Gossip as electro.

alan nagsworth

Quotes away!

Quote from: chand on September 05, 2007, 10:20:57 AM
Saw these guys live at a festival in Zagreb the other week and they almost, ALMOST got my chin-stroking avant-rock white-boy ass moving, which is some feat. Their records are great but I was really impressed with them live, and Mrs Chand was busting moves like a mad thing.

I love S.T.R.E.E.T.D.A.D by Out Hud too, although I never think of it as a dancey record, it's something I sit and listen to and get absorbed by the textures and the way all the instrumentation interlocks perfectly.

Yeah, !!! are a band who only get more involved if the crowd do, so it's good to show willing at their gigs. The more you dance, the more the singer will dance. And that Out Hud album is really good to chill to because of the layers of noise that still make it pretty much euphoric indie at times, but tracks like Hair Dude, You're Stepping On My Mystique and Dad, There's A Little Phrase Called Too Much Information are irresistible for me, I have to at least wave my hands about a little bit. ;)

Quote from: wherearethespoons on September 05, 2007, 10:36:20 AM
And if you're off your face (like nagsworth)

Why does everyone think I'm some raging drug addict! For the record I've never taken ecstasy, or any class A drug for that matter, every gig/club I go to it's strictly alcohol broken up by the occasional spliff to mash your head that extra little bit.

QuoteEDIT: Uploaded track ten from Underworld's Underneath the Radar - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dan.marsh/thegodsong.mp3

Give it a minute or so. One of my mates gets sick of me saying that. I'll go, 'here listen to this track' and he'll get bored straight away and I keep saying, 'wait for it to kick in, wait for it to kick in.' And then he's left by the time it does.

My mates are the same when I try getting them into breakcore and the like, they don't have the patience for it. This, however, didn't require a wait, it's funky as fuck! Is it seriously Underworld? Underworld who did Born Slippy??

Quote from: buttgammon on September 05, 2007, 12:14:38 PM
With me and dance, there's just none word at the moment - Justice. Irresistible funk with bits of noise thrown in just for fun. Their album is also just about the most day-glo concoction since George Clinton took Blaxpoliation into outer space with his p-funk and is the most fun thing I've heard for ages.

I'd also mention some D 'n' B but I'm not too up to date with the latest drum 'n' bass even though I love the genre so there's probably somebody who would be in a better position to mention that than me.

Justice's new album is brilliant, face-punch electro-funk from the cream of the Parisian disco crop. A lot of drum n' bass these days is shit, it's very repetitive (in a bad way, dance fans!) and the songs lack the great ideas of their forefathers, like Roni Size, Goldie and the like. For a real drum n' bass dance vibe, check out Jungle Rewind. Three CDs of classics old and new and some throbbing low frequencies from the oldies!

Quote from: boxofslice on September 05, 2007, 12:18:29 PM
If you're looking to drop some foot, you've got to got with some old school funk or a bit of northern soul. Can't get into a lot of so called dance music around now, there just no emotion in it.

Just got myself into Sly & The Family Stone, you're not wrong my friend!

buttgammon

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 12:53:04 PM
Justice's new album is brilliant, face-punch electro-funk from the cream of the Parisian disco crop. A lot of drum n' bass these days is shit, it's very repetitive (in a bad way, dance fans!) and the songs lack the great ideas of their forefathers, like Roni Size, Goldie and the like. For a real drum n' bass dance vibe, check out Jungle Rewind. Three CDs of classics old and new and some throbbing low frequencies from the oldies!

I'll have to check out the Jungle Rewind thing. There's nothing like a bit of old school sub bass once in a while.

As for Roni Size, New Forms was a brilliant album. I love Brown Paper Bag and I really like that jazzy, more laid back style on it. Didn't it also win the Mercury Music Prize when it came out?(Admittedly not much of a stamp of quality anymore but it deserved it and the prize seemed to reward a different type of artist back then)

alan nagsworth

I'm fairly sure it did win the Mercury Prize, yea. Back when it was still respected. Aaahhh...

I used to be a drum & bass head but lately its all about the tech-house / electro tip. My favourite artists at the moment are Booka Shade, Busy P, Ellen Allien, Apparat, DFA, Isolee, Mr. Oizo, Richie Hawtin, Trentemoller and Vitalic. None of these guys are straight up tech house by any stretch of the imagination though, they all have pretty unique styles which is what makes them great. I think what really makes them stand out from the rest is the quality of their recorded output, in that you can enjoy it on headphones in bed aswell as busting a move on the dancefloor. Also got to say 2 Many DJ's have put on a fantastic set everytime I've seen em - real good time fun music, cheese, pop and techno done with a nod and a wink, style, knowledge and a sense of humour.

Booka Shade - Mandarine Girl- this has become somewhat of a tech house classic and is a must hear for the style I'm decribing.

Vitalic - la Rock 01 - shimmering, loping, French club anthem.

Trentemoller - The Forest - chilled out tech house bordering on electronica, absolutely gorgeous production.

buttgammon

Trentemoller is great too. I really like Killer Kat, Rykketid and tracks like that. I don't think either feature don his album did they? It's still a very good album.

JesusAndYourBush

STOP MURDERING CLASSICS

One of the greatest crimes in broadcasting today is the way the lovely old tunes are murdered by the majority of dance bands.  Surely the younger generation and those who prefer that type of music are already well catered for, without taking away something precious from those who appreciate the beautiful melodies that were written by the great masters and which will never die.

Radio Pictorial, 26.8.1938

alan nagsworth

While I do agree that Klaxons and The Gossip are not "electro" (though personally I've never heard it called that) I will say that some of their tunes, maybe not so much in Klaxons case, are very soulful and dancey. Beth Ditto has an awesome voice and their basslines are very funky. Some early Klaxons demos out-rank the reworked versions and new songs on their debut album which is a shame, but I honestly didn't think it was a bad album until it got over-played by everyone, including myself and Radio 1.

buttgammon

I'm with you on Klaxons. I quite liked it at first but they got so hyped up by the media I just couldn't escape them and got fed up of their music as a result. It doesn't stop the fact that the Van She remix of 'Gravity's Rainbow' is a cracking tune.

Quote from: buttgammon on September 05, 2007, 01:58:29 PM
Trentemoller is great too. I really like Killer Kat, Rykketid and tracks like that. I don't think either feature don his album did they? It's still a very good album.

Rykketid is from his Singles Collection vol 1, and Killer Kat is from vol 3. Don't know if they're official releases. The Last Resort is growing on me, after being initially disappointed it wasn't very dancey compared to his other stuff. Lovely sound though.

buttgammon

I didn't think much to The Last Resort upon first hearing it but I really like it now. I do actually prefer his singles, though. I've got the two disc edition with a collection of some of his singles on one CD and the album on another and I think I've actually played the singles more.

chand

Quote from: buttgammon on September 05, 2007, 01:22:00 PM
As for Roni Size, New Forms was a brilliant album. I love Brown Paper Bag and I really like that jazzy, more laid back style on it. Didn't it also win the Mercury Music Prize when it came out?(Admittedly not much of a stamp of quality anymore but it deserved it and the prize seemed to reward a different type of artist back then)

Yep, although it's now routinely shat on by people who think the Mercury needs to necessarily capture the popular zeitgeist and reward a bestselling album. There was some guy on last night standing between Jo Whiley and, for some reason, Ade Edmondson, who cited Roni Size winning it in 97 as a cataclysmic disaster when obviously 'OK Computer' should have won. I could see what he was getting at but, I'd rather the Mercury brought exposure to someone like Roni Size than big up an album which now routinely gets voted the greatest of all time, and which everyone who didn't live in a ditch in the Shetland Islands in 97 knew about anyway. Seems pointless to have an award that rewards big sellers now that the Brits features exactly those kind of bands.

buttgammon

Quote from: chand on September 05, 2007, 02:28:15 PM
Yep, although it's now routinely shat on by people who think the Mercury needs to necessarily capture the popular zeitgeist and reward a bestselling album. There was some guy on last night standing between Jo Whiley and, for some reason, Ade Edmondson, who cited Roni Size winning it in 97 as a cataclysmic disaster when obviously 'OK Computer' should have won. I could see what he was getting at but, I'd rather the Mercury brought exposure to someone like Roni Size than big up an album which now routinely gets voted the greatest of all time, and which everyone who didn't live in a ditch in the Shetland Islands in 97 knew about anyway. Seems pointless to have an award that rewards big sellers now that the Brits features exactly those kind of bands.

I'm with you there. The Mercury Music Prize was meant to reward artists who made inovative and genuinely interesting music. It isn't meant to be a popularity contest or to give another gong to whoever has sold the most albums or has acquired the most column inches in NME magazine. Unfortunately, it seems to do this now.

I'm not saying OK Computer isn't a good album but what would have been the point in awarding it with the Mercury Music Prize 10 years ago? It's not as if it was a relatively obscure record which deserved more public exposure.

alan nagsworth

That fucking Jo Whiley. Saying that OK Computer deserved to win is disgusting for all the reasons already stated. I do like OK Computer a lot, even more so than anything Roni size has done, but as you say, the Mercury isn't about popularity, it's about innovation. Even these so-called "indie" kids don't understand that indie means independent, they all ponce about in tight-fitting jackets and trilby hats smoking fags, standing outside chip shops looking self-important. Agh! I fucking hate the bastard NME cunting shit! Fuck.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 12:53:04 PM
My mates are the same when I try getting them into breakcore and the like, they don't have the patience for it. This, however, didn't require a wait, it's funky as fuck! Is it seriously Underworld? Underworld who did Born Slippy??

Yeah, that's them. A lot of difference. Those early albums are well worth getting hold of. I still reckon you're a druggie.

As for Brown Paper Bag by Roni Size - oh yes. What a tune.

Also, want to recommend Mr. Scruff. Now there's a dancey/jazzy sound.

Is anyone else a fan of Isolee?

His 2006 album Wearemonster is easily the best stand-alone dance record I've heard since..I don't know, probably Hard Normal Daddy.

There's a good review here at Stylus.

QuoteThe genius of Wearemonster is that Mueller takes the clarity and mobility of house and synergizes it with the overabundance of melodies, textures, theories, and arrangement schemes found in IDM.

Like most great albums, it's a real grower..don't expect anything too banging, its very subtle and reveals new charms with each listen.

I only ever heard Isolee's album with Beau Mot Plage on it. Fantastic constantly shifting bleepy euphoria. Wonderful music full stop. The rest of the album ('Demon'?) was a bit iffy but lots of interesting stuff going on, possibly could've done with being a little less po-faced!

Re: Justice, thanks all for not posting in my excellent thread about them ;) To be honest though, they're so far behind SebastiAn and Oizo it's silly, they're great producers but to see how they 'borrowed' almost all the interesting elements of their sound from their contemporary stablemates is quite embarrassing. Stuff like 'Phantom' and 'Waters of Nazareth' represent some of the real peaks of electronic music since Thomas Bangalter bolted shut the door marked 'inspiration' but they've nevertheless just softened up others' dangerously good music to break the mainstream. It's all because they were pushed as the NEW DAFT PUNK HONEST.

I think Oizo is one of the few genuine inspirations working in 'dance' music today, in a few years hopefully people will see exactly how important his role was. A couple of years ago, Laurent Garnier said he wasn't even sure if he could release Oizo's album 'moustache (half a scissor)'. These days, it's the effing blueprint for all 21st centruy electro produciotn. It's still only 50% listenable though :) That crazy cunt.

sookmafarter

everyone likes a dance and if you don't then YOU ARE A HOMOSEXUAL, MY FRIEND!

Homosexuals invented dance music didn't they? . .

Much of my favourite stuff at the moment has been mentioned, Justice, trentemoller, booka shade, busy p,mr oizo,isolee . . . all brilliant, I love it when you hear beau mot plage funkily slinking it's way into the middle of a mix.

Has anyone got the mr oizo remix of 'killing in the name' by rage against the machine? I've only ever heard it out but it fuckin rules.

Already been mentioned, here is the brilliant 'rainbow man' by Busy P - slow revved up funk . . .I have to admit I always would speed it up if I was putting it in a mix but it's cool at the proper speed

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/7/1056582/a1-busy_p-rainbow_man.mp3

Mathew Dear is another one of my favourite dance artists these days, really upbeat bright and funky, crisp yet subtle. This is the classic 'Dog Days' from leave luck to heaven (been over played a bit this though) His stuff under the alias Audion is also wicked.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/7/1056582/07%20-%20dog%20days.mp3

Also Robag Wruhme is a guy I can't get enough of ( don't ask me to pronounce his surname though). . .his stuff is so understated and sleazy - this track is so simple but offers up big slabs of dirty funk. He's from Slovenia or some such place.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/7/1056582/05%20-%20Robag%20Wruhme%20-%20wuzzelbud%20kk%20p78.mp3

boki

I like pretty much most things I can swing my fat arse too (so long as the cheese factor doesn't ovverride it).  It's all about the swaying, innit.

boki

By the way...

So without further ado, dance like nobody's watching! (Post like nobody's tagging)

...this will go down as a classic of the modern CaB era if I have anything to do with it.

{Note to self/Nagsworth: Nobody listens to me, not that I can blame them}