Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dance Thread (electronic dance haters welcome!)

Started by alan nagsworth, September 05, 2007, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: sookmafarter on September 05, 2007, 09:14:43 PM
Also Robag Wruhme is a guy I can't get enough of ( don't ask me to pronounce his surname though).

Vrooom?

Jaffit

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 05, 2007, 06:05:30 PM
I only ever heard Isolee's album with Beau Mot Plage on it. Fantastic constantly shifting bleepy euphoria. Wonderful music full stop.

Yes, yes yes. That tune is one of my all time favourites, a completely unique piece of music. In fact I'm going to dust down my dusty 12" and play it right now! I remember when it first came out around 97-98 and it seemed so different from the rest of the house music I was listening to. The bloke who made it Rajko Müller, was a bit of an elusive character too, cant remember seeing many pictures of him.

His album Wearemonster is good but you really have to be in the right mood to listen to it, its very minimal in places and if your not settled it can just end up pissing you off. Definitely recommended though.

I was heavily into dance music for many years, resulting in me spending thousands of pounds on records I very rarely play anymore. Still good to play them every now and again to bring back the memories but I think you can get to a stage where listening to too much of it makes it seem really stale. Thats defnitely what happened with me, my interest has waned in dance music but I'm sure I'll return to it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I enjoy dancing like a drunken idiot (due to being drunk and idiotic usually) to this:

And when the sneerers are away:

Great fun, the 2nd CD of that has almost all you'd want.

alan nagsworth

Piffle. The second CD is very good, Shoulders?, you should check out...

...if you're into that sort of thing. Has it got Born Slippy? Zombie Nation? Encore Un Fois? Sandstorm? The Launch? Warrior? Yes my friend it has them all on three meaty CDs of classic euphoria.

wherearethespoons

Nah, bollocks to that lot.

Here's what you should all own;

alan nagsworth

Jungle Rewind to win it! Although admittedly, Regular Chicken, Hype does come a close second. And even more admittedly, there's some recent drum n' bass that completely sweeps the board for me...

Small image, epic album! If you can get hold of this, it's essential for darkstep/evil sounding drum n' bass fans. I'll upload a couple tunes if you're interested.

Ciarán

I've another Hacienda compilation, called 'Viva Hacienda: 15 Years of Hacienda Nights', it is excellent. That was released in 1997 I seem to remember. What I would like is a similar comp that isn't a mix. But the 'Hacienda Classics' comp is a mix album too isn't it?

Analrapist

Good call on Jungle Rewind, crackpipesworth. I'm currently listening to it and enjoying it muchly.

My dad bought me Jungle Massive years ago (it's not a mid-life crisis if you never started being an adult in the first place) and I enjoyed it then, but I've not really given jungle much of a listen until recently. I'm going to aim to change that!

I enjoyed Shitmat's new album, but afterwards I just wanted to hunt out a proper early '90s jungle album so I could see what it was really supposed to sound like. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

boki

The Remarc compilations that Planet Mu put out are well worth a go, he's clearly an influence on the new Shitmat sound.

alan nagsworth

I'd say maybe Goldie's Timeless album is pretty good if you're looking for oldskool jungle, the king thereof is Goldie.

buttgammon

Quote from: Regular Chicken on September 06, 2007, 11:53:50 AM

I love the DE9 series. They're all good but I especially like the third one (DE9: Transitions) because it was my introduction to the world of minmal techno. Good stuff!

alan nagsworth

This may be remix of the year for me! I've been waiting for new material from Jackson And His Computer Band since his Smash album came out, and he's come back with an 11 minute long remix of Justice's 'D.A.N.C.E.' (Boston Crab, Regular Chicken, heads up!)

Forget SebastiAn if you want glitched-up beats with heavy-compressed drums. Forget Justice if you want broken disco funk and interludes of beautiful distorted melodies! It's all about this fucking remix.
Download it right now!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4DE8DC190F4B17FF

It's not actually a remix of DANCE as such, it's more of an edit comprised of bits taken from every track on the Justice album. It's good to hear some Jackson again but that doesn't do much more than meander impressively, 'to my ears' (the Oscillations equivalent of 'IMHO').

alan nagsworth

Yeah I realised this on the second listen (was a bit stoned and unreachable last night). Although admittedly, this mix has got nothing on the tunes from Smash, (which I've just reintroduced myself to after a short absence and am thoroughly bumming) but for a remix/megamix I think it's superb. The abridged version (just the D.A.N.C.E. bit) was aired on Radio 1 last night which made me very happy, and I was even happier to discover that the full mix was 11 minutes long!

Jackson is back on fighting form, I've always thought the Ed Banger lot never held a torch to his music, and I cannot wait for some more new releases from him.

mcbpete

Quote from: buttgammon on September 06, 2007, 04:15:31 PM
I love the DE9 series. They're all good but I especially like the third one (DE9: Transitions) because it was my introduction to the world of minmal techno. Good stuff!
They're bloody great aren't they. I'm not sure if I prefer the second or third of the series, but yeah the albums are stunning.

buttgammon

I also like the way the DE9 albums have introduced me to all kinds of great artists - Sleeparchive, Jeff Mills, Savvas Ysattis... I could go on forever listing everyone who has had a track or loop used on a DE9 album.

alan nagsworth

Tom Vek! I remember hearing his single 'If You Want' a while back, and thinking it was utter shite, but recently I decided to give his album (We Have Sound) a go based on stuff I'd heard on last.fm. I absolutely love it! It's a one-man effort that sounds a lot like the Rapture's older stuff, really rough sounding dance music. Full of funky basslines and tasty disco-friendly hooks, but with an electronic edge, chopping up sequenced beats etc.

Checkit: Tom Vev - A Little Word In Your Ears

Yeah that fella sounds pretty good. I'm feeling the Rapture similarities. Also LCD Soundsystem and Clor.

Anyone a fan of Chromeo? Full on electrofunk cheese. Absolutely brilliant and hilarious in equal measure.

alan nagsworth

Chromeo's not bad, though sometimes the cheesiness grates on me. (hoho!) The tune he did with DJ Mehdi ('I Am Somebody') is really good. Mehdi's another one of the Ed Banger legends.

alan nagsworth

Fuck me, I've just got hold of the latest !!! album 'Myth Takes' and it is utterly spectacular. I can't figure out why it's taken me so long to get this, they're still on top form and the passion is hot, baby! The 8-minute 'Bend Over Beethoven' is utterly brilliant, those heavily-delayed guitars and hyperactive drums synonymous with !!! really shine here. Anyone else down wid dis shit?

Pogue Mahone

Big beat's a great genre for dancing to. Get Decksandrumsandrockandroll by the Propellerheads. It's one of my favourite big beat albums, along with the work of Basement Jaxx, the Chemical Brothers, the Prodigy and some of Fatboy Slim's stuff. The Crystal Method are also worth checking out; Legion of Boom is a pretty good album. If you delve into the genre, you'll unwittingly stumble across many familiar tracks simply because the music is so commonly used in television adverts and movie soundtracks. Some other worthy mentions: Rob Dougan's famous "Clubbed to Death" is a great track; the Freestylers, Bentley Rhythm Ace and Appollo 440 are also worth a listen.

Outside of big beat, Orbital are a fantastic dance act, as are Daft Punk (obviously). I came across a group known as the Pasta Boys in Italy over the Summer and they're OK too. Then, there's the Afro-Celt Sound System who are good for something a little bit different. Although I don't have much time for the Killers, Mylo's remix of "Somebody Told Me" is actually very enjoyable.

Pogue Mahone

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 04:16:11 AMRJD2 (Dead Ringer)
Beastie Boys (any)

I really liked Deadringer and the Beastie Boys are one of my favourite groups. I wasn't wholly satisfied with To the Five Boroughs, but the vast majority of their earlier stuff is great fun. It's odd to think they were initially a hardcore punk band. The Dust Brothers (not the Chemical Brothers, who originally went by the same name), who worked with the Beastie Boys on Paul's Boutique, also produced the Fight Club soundtrack, which I like.

Quote from: DolphinFace on September 05, 2007, 12:45:55 PMI'd love to be able to river dance and just use that over any song in a club, just to baffle and amuse people.

I actually enjoy listening to the main River Dance theme. I suppose in Ireland it's seen as a matter of national pride. There's another track written by Ronan Hardiman for Michael Flatley's off-shoot known as "Warriors". Not necessarily a dance tune, but I find it really uplifting and think it's great to listen to when I'm jogging.

Back on topic, this, "Silver Screen (Shower Scene)" by Felix da Housecat, is a brilliant track to dance to:

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLvP74R9kk[/youtube]

"Hands Around My Throat" by Death in Vegas is another good dance track. "Cells (Instrumental)" by the Servants from the Sin City soundtrack has a very electronic feel, although its tempo might be slightly too downbeat in order to let you dance like a lunatic. 2 Many DJs are good fun too and I really like their "Peter Gunn Theme/Where's Your Head At?" mix. Some other dance/electronica acts I enjoy include Leftfield, Manchild, Cassius, Les Rythmes Digitales, Ladytron, Mirwais (who has produced much of Madonna's work), Modjo and, more recently, CSS.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNa8xkm3WFc[/youtube]
Manchild's "Rehab" from United States.

DJ Craze is renowned as a hip-hop turntablist but I saw him live in Derry once and he did a drum and bass set for the second half of his show, which was amazing. I've seen Erol Alkan twice, who was much better on the first occasion, but I'd still recommend him. The Japanese Popstars, a local Derry electro group, have also been tipped for bigger things.

But, what about this classic?:

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=K9QhSZ_vD8I[/youtube]

Or even better:

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gzyFmilkd80[/youtube]

glitch

First artists announced for Bangface weekender.

£110 is a fucking bargain to see all those guys in one place, let alone the rest yet to be confirmed.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, there's a lot of enthusiasm round these parts re: Bang Face. I've already got a few mates who are dead excited so might end up getting my own chalet with them. Everyone who's shown excitement for this should seriously consider going, I'd be well up for meeting you lot off your mash on ecstasy pipes.

Going to see Zinc, Simian Mobile Disco and Vitalic tonight *smiley face*