Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:22:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How to escape the boring job/life conundrum.

Started by Lord of divs, September 05, 2007, 03:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI believe that most of you seem like sound people with their heads screwed on the right way quietly forging your own way in the world and getting closer and closer to those goals and dreams that you hold so dear to your hearts.

Oh dear...

Charles Charlie Charles

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on September 05, 2007, 04:03:03 PM
Stop whinging people are starving in Africa.

I read this as though it was a telegram:

QuoteStop. Whinging people are starving in Africa.

Blarg

Shoulders Stomach, winner of the sarcastic bastard award.

23 Daves

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 05:23:47 PMBelieve me, it ends up that way for a fair few people if you don't stay in work. Like I said, I despise my job, but when I'm off I feel great because it's the shit in life that makes you appreciate the beauty of it even more.

Absolutely true.  I've done the giro-collecting*, writing and sitting in the library all day thing, and whilst it feels fantastic for the first four or five months, after awhile you start to get tremendously detatched from the real world, and (unless you're massively disciplined) start to get very idle as well.  If you've deadlines to work to and people pushing you for results, it's easier to keep going.  If, on the other hand, you're doing it completely and totally by yourself in the hope that you'll produce a materpiece, it almost never works out.  You become out of synch with everyone else, lose your ability to have normal conversations, get fed up with having stay indoors because you've no money, and it all goes to seed. 

Of course, I'm just speaking from my own experience, I don't doubt there are people who have dropped out to go on the dole who have ended up doing fantastic things, but I think you need to be tremendously strong minded, and most "creative" types are woolly brained and easily distracted.

*Yes, I know giros don't exist anymore and even the DSS pay the cash straight into the bank these days. 

Mr. Analytical

El Unicornio, mang

I'm basically just doing a crap job that pays enough to keep a roof over my head and be able to go out at weekends and stuff, and any spare time I have is concentrated on making/performing music, which is my only real goal in life right now. I'm just not daring enough to make any big life changes (aside from moving 3000 miles away from home, obviously)

Quote from: 23 Daves on September 05, 2007, 09:06:38 PM
*Yes, I know giros don't exist anymore and even the DSS pay the cash straight into the bank these days. 
They do, I didn't have a bank account when I was signing on so I got giro cheques.  Not the most cheerful of queues.

Peking O

The repetitious nature of my job bores the fuck out of me. Thank God for the internet at work. Without that I - [internet access terminated]

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I took voluntary redundancy once. The old 'If I don't take it, I'll always wonder what would have happened' line of reasoning won me over.

It was fun a while, but once the money ran out it was fucking terrifying. I used to lie awake at night in a cold sweat thinking 'God, I'd give anything to get that £6-an-hour stability back'. 

Employment is the ultimate 'grass is always greener' situation, really.