Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,484
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eeek! I've Broken My Friend's Wii

Started by Harfyyn Teuport, September 06, 2007, 12:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harfyyn Teuport

So my friend Shane lent me his Wii over the Summer while he went to work in Venzuela. Upon plugging it into the power socket in my sitting room I was greeted with a blinding fash of light and a cracking noise. The Wii no longer works at all. It was because I'd used an adaptor to plug the Wii, which is American, when I should have used a convertor.

He's coming back in 3 weeks. Ideally I'd like to fix it without him being notified, but since he has all the guarantee/warrantee details and receepits etc I don't know how easy that would be? Are there high street business that would be able to deal with it? I'm shitting myself...

Don't you have any independent computer stores where you live? You want to try the Yellow not Blue pages first.

Duckula

Try ringing Nintendo, not sure how long it would take for them to replace it though.

Rev

Don't just get another one that looks like it, because it'll end up getting pregnant and your friend's Wii will turn out to have been a boy.

Sivead

If Nintendo are anything like Sony was for me when my PSP bricked, then just ring them and they send a courier out the next moning with a replacment. All i had to give was the number on it over the phone. Good luck.

Jack Shaftoe

QuoteDon't just get another one that looks like it, because it'll end up getting pregnant and your friend's Wii will turn out to have been a boy.

VG

wherearethespoons

Simply explain it like it is, it's actually his fault for leaving it with you.

no_offenc

Plus if he's got stuff on the virtual console thingy he'd have to go through Nintendo to make sure he at least gets his credits back for that, or the games pt on another account.

Santa's Boyfriend

Explain the situation and offer to pay for a replacement if necessary.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on September 06, 2007, 09:26:53 AM
Explain the situation and offer to pay for a replacement if necessary.

Are you mad?

Lie and cheat your way out of this.

rudi

Get angry. Claim it blew up and could've damaged your house.

The moral highground's a fine vantage point, especially when you're in the wrong...

SetToStun

Replace the fuse on the plug (just in case) then open up the Wii and fill the power-supply with wire wool, iron filings, magnesium powder and a little aluminium oxide. Reassemble and give it a good shake. Then, when he comes home and plugs it in, it will appear to be him who blew it up.

wherearethespoons

I reckon it was this Shane fella anyway. It was already fucked and on the way out so he thought he'd take it round that mugs Harfyyn Teuport who will panic, think it's his fault, and buy a new one. You're being taken for a ride son.

ziggy starbucks

you've broke your friends wee?

Serves you right for putting wire coat hangers up his urethra

RFT

Nintendo Europe are unlikley to offer any help related to an imported American Wii.

Doesn't the Wii use an external power supply anyway? you may be able to just replace that.

mrlizard

Do you think a US indy console store will fix it in time? Even Nintendo of America? You could say it was a gift if they start asking questions...

Come to think of it, try these fellas: http://www.ravengames.co.uk/ - very friendly and quick and will certainly give you some advice if they can't help directly.

Unless it's a chipped machine. Then you are buggered.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: RFT on September 06, 2007, 10:34:12 AMDoesn't the Wii use an external power supply anyway? you may be able to just replace that.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Surely you can just replace the power supply, as it's the power supply which will be fucked and hopefully not the Wii itself.

Harfyyn Teuport

Cheers for all the help and/or references to sitcom plot formulae.

Quote from: suttonpubcrawl
Quote from: RFT
Doesn't the Wii use an external power supply anyway? you may be able to just replace that.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Surely you can just replace the power supply, as it's the power supply which will be fucked and hopefully not the Wii itself.

I assumed so as well, but how would I go about fixing it or ordering a new one? All the searches I've been doing have been either really general or too specific and the fact that it's American only complicates it further.

You can pick up a universal Wii PSU off eBay for about a tenner which should do the trick.

joemx05

I'd also avoid opening the Wii if possible because that may Gush your mates warranty on it, then you could end up with an even more brokenerer Wii AND no warranty.

I feel for you man, I'd be shitting myself too, there is no way laughing at this with your own cock.

Huzzie

When you are talking about fixing it, well... what exactly do you mean?

Just be very careful, cause if you or some leccy story open it up it will likely void the warrenty and if you/they can't fix it then, you're really fucked!

The only proper thing to do here is what Santas Boyfriend has suggested. I'm sure your mate will understand.

weekender

When you pass it back to him, pass it back in such a way that he is forced to drop it.  Then it's his fault and not your responsibility.

buntyman

Just employ the universal electrical faulty goods replacement trick. Buy a new one out of Argos, swap the consoles and take it back (selecting the dopey teenage cashier)  saying it doesn't work and you want a full refund.

mcbpete

Quote from: SetToStun on September 06, 2007, 10:01:33 AM
Replace the fuse on the plug
I was gonna suggest this part of the post too. The rest of it however is up to you !