Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:03:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sacre bleu! C'est Le Rugby World Cup.

Started by actwithoutwords, September 07, 2007, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

joeyzaza

Quote from: Henry V
Once more unto a kicking vs South Africa, dear friends, once more.

biggytitbo

Joy Nktonga

FUCKING YES!!!!!!!!

Pity I'll be on a fucking ferry when the final is on.

biggytitbo

Well done to them, they've beat better teams twice in a row entirely on guts and spirit. Inspirational really.

mikeyg27

I think Laporte fucked up by bringing on Michalak. I know Beauxis wasn't exactly tearing it up out there, but he wasn't fucking up either, and Michalak is much better at opening up a game than closing it out. Still, nice surprise again, even if the game itself was actually pretty rubbish, and rather comfortingly England have now won two games in a row against good opposition even though Jonny's been playing a bit pants by his standards.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Woohoo!

That was tense as anything, all about territory, no-one was giving an inch. France couldn't see the wood for the trees going forward until Michalak came on, and he did make them look the side more likely to win. I always knew we'd get another chance to get forward, and knock in a penalty, but the drop goal was just awesome, that Wilkinson man is just unflappable.

niat

Fucking yes indeed. That was fantastic. The tension I felt before Wilkinson's final penalty was, well, very tense indeed. Awesome performance, bring on Argentina! (It's that sort of World Cup).

The Plaque Goblin

You people just like watching big men in tight shorts chase each other around.

buttgammon

Quote from: me on September 07, 2007, 04:48:20 PM
But at least there will be no repeat of last time. England haven't got much of a chance of reaching the final.

I am Costanza, Lord of the Idiots!

rjd2

It would be better if South Africa got to the final, both England and Argentina play really dull rugby and such  a great competion does not deseve a mediocre final.England deserved to win tonight though, id love to see Jason Robinson to end his career winning the cup, the man is total class on and off th pitch.

wheatgod

I am still hoarse. It was too tense.

Lewsey's try after 1.5 minutes, fantastic start obviously, but it only happened thanks to pigface Laporte not picking a full back. Thanks, piggy.

Some of England's younger heads made bad mistakes: Tate's defensive errors, Stevens costing us 60 metres with 2 stupid penalties. Easter, too, losing control of the ball at the base of an attacking scrum - the same thing happened against Australia.

But the old heads were there to keep it together. Experience, experience, experience. Its what France lacked, those few warhorses who've done it all before - especially when Pelous went off. were obviously weak tactically, just kicking away all their possession. Lack of ambition, deserved to lose.

Worsley's tap tackle was an obvious turning point - the margin between success and failure. Also key for me was Flood's tackle on Chabal, with France gifting us a penalty and a pressure release.

There were 70 minutes gone, and we were still one point behind, I thought time was going to run out. I was shouting and shouting. But it came through, and I'm fucking elated.

I agree with a 5Live caller: he remarked that 999 times out of 1000 you can tell where the game is won - line out dominance, or scrum, or break down, superior running, or whatever. But here, there was no such obvious area of English dominance, or French shortcoming - it really was down to guts and spirit. Fantastic. Its not beautiful, but fucking hell its entertaining.

My preferred result tomorrow would be a heavy South Africa win - lets them stay cocky, and gives England lots of motivational ammunition. I still predict an England loss - but as long as they show the pride and spirit they did today, I won't mind.

rjd2

Quote from: wheatgod on October 14, 2007, 12:54:39 AM

My preferred result tomorrow would be a heavy South Africa win - lets them stay cocky, and gives England lots of motivational ammunition. I still predict an England loss - but as long as they show the pride and spirit they did today, I won't mind.
You must be mad you do know how important this world cup is for South Africa? People in their country feel its their last chance to win the world cup for a long time as the team due to this reverse aparthied scheme will split up or even worse jump to Australia who have apparntly made no secret their desire to target young white south afrians who know they may never play fo the Boks due to their colour. It will be like 1995 all over again and the players know could be their last chance to be crowned Wold Champs, England have a great chance against Argentina, but with South Africas obvious class and with the nightmare thats its now or never it will take something astonishing to stop them.
England fans pray that Contemponi has the game of his life tomorrow England fans.
Too pissed to care about spelling and stuff.....

thugler

I really don't like the style of rugby england play, to the point that I don't really want them to win.

drberbatov

Quote from: drberbatov on September 07, 2007, 03:51:17 PM
I worry for England, it can either go one of two ways. A miraculous heroic effort to make the semi's or limping out at the group stage after a shock defeat to Samoa. The run up to this World Cup has been nothing short of a shambles. After this tournament we must get rid of the dead wood and build a team with the next World Cup in mind

Its a three horse race for me NZ, France or South Africa. Out of the three I will pick South Africa

Come on SA. And I would also like to take credit for calling a miracle

Well, that was nice, wasn't it?

Wilkinson has been playing poorly by his standards, but he doesn't miss the kicks which matter.  His tackle on Pelous was absolutely monumental, he smashed him so hard he had to go off.  Worsley's ankle tap was unbelievable too.

Was very nervous at the start, particularly when I realised that Jonathan Kaplan was the referee.  Sometimes he seems to decide that one team is persistently infringing and award decisions against them for the whole match, regardless of what is actually happening in the match.  I thought this was going to be the case when he mistifyingly awarded a penalty to France at the start of the second half which was kicked to make it 9-5 - there was literally no infringment in sight!

Yeah, there's a lot of haters out there for England because of their "boring" style of play.  Never mind though, the Super 14 basketball will be on soon enough so you can watch that.  I bet you New Zealand wish they had someone who could score drop goals for them, seeing as they lost by two points and all...

Behold, Kenny Rogers (I can't get the embedding to work at the moment):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O6duTAzvIU

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The sheer effort and will of the team makes them an extraordinary side at the moment. It isn't boring watching a group of people give absolutely everything, it's astounding and inspiring.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 14, 2007, 03:40:46 PM
The sheer effort and will of the team makes them an extraordinary side at the moment. It isn't boring watching a group of people give absolutely everything, it's astounding and inspiring.

Well indeed, it's the way the players are playing above themselves and showing such balls, fucking massive beach ball sized balls, which is so impressive.

Characteristically whinging Australian match report

If there was a whining world cup, Australia and New Zealand would be a very close run final.  It seems like complaining about things being "unfair" and not going their way is turning into their national sports.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 14, 2007, 03:40:46 PM

I'm not a massive rugby fan, just watch the England matches, and you're right, last night was anything but dull

It was absolutely enthralling

Ignore the sour grapes!

rjd2

Well that was comfotable for the Boks tonight, Argentina were very limited and Hernandez and shock horror Contemponi choked big time. The thing that will terrify England is that they have reached the final without breaking sweat and of course they have whipped England already. And we all know the political signifigance of the game for the Boks, it will take the perfrormance of a lifetime for England to win which heh you never know may happen.

swarfmonkey

I liked the joke that someone made last night.

Q) What do you call the trophy for the 7th place in the Rugby World cup?

A) The Bledisloe Cup

Anyway, I can't see England beating SA. I don't see that the forwards will be able to dominate in the tight like they did against Australia. The South African forwards didn't give an inch to the Argentians last night and the Argentians are posiibly the toughest and most powerful in the world. Especially the tight 5.

We stifled France up front and they helped by not moving the ball quickly enough through the backs. South Africa have far more quality and speed in the back line than France; as we saw with Habana's last try. And they've got a proper full-back!

But I didn't think England could beat Australia or France, so I hope they prove me wrong again.

Bloody hell, Will Greenwood is a bit embarrassing to listen to at times.

Argentina needed everything to go for them yesterday, and hope that SA had an off day.  This didn't happen.  For England to stand any chance they'll have to get under Montgomery's skin and put him off his game.  I don't think players like Steyn and Habana know what fear is, so the best bet is to try and deprive them of the ball.

The caveman's been cited for an allegedly dangerous tackle on Simon Shaw

rjd2

Yeah I suppose the other thing that comfort England is that South Africa has not being involved in south tough games like England. They strolled through heir group and despite Fiji worrying them for a bit they were never in serious bother last night as well their opponents did not turn up. Their was tons of handling mistakes, poor kicking and suicidal passing, sure the Boks deserved to win but they have not being tested yet, I want to see how they cope in a do or die situation.
One final thing a lot of English fans are shouting down anybody who dares to questions their style of rugby yet these are the same people who took great pleasure in the exit of the most exciting team New Zealand. Theirs a lot of hypocrisy in it.

Quote from: rjd2 on October 15, 2007, 12:02:29 PM
One final thing a lot of English fans are shouting down anybody who dares to questions their style of rugby yet these are the same people who took great pleasure in the exit of the most exciting team New Zealand. Theirs a lot of hypocrisy in it.

Um, don't think hypocrisy is the issue.  I think a lot of people would have taken pleasure at them going out because of their arrogance rather than because they play attractive rugby.

I'll relink you to the Brendan Gallagher article:

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/this-is-way-beyond-a-choke/2007/10/09/1191695909736.html

edit - and Alastair Campbell giving it both barrels too:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby/article2652366.ece

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree with aaaaaaaaaaargh!, it's just the usual inclination of wanting the favourites to go out. Anyway, I think rugby matches are entertaining, not rugby teams.

Pogue Mahone

Quote from: micanio on October 13, 2007, 07:10:41 PM
From the Guardian today:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyworldcup2007/story/0,,2190346,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Jesus wept. And people wonder why the England Rugby team are despised so much. I'm not blaming the team for this, but this kind of shit doesn't help....

That reminds me of the following clip, albeit a criticism of the English media with regard to the football team during the 2006 World Cup by a fairly out-spoken and acerbic Irish pundit, Eamon Dunphy:

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zUfqp7e7mBI[/youtube]

rudi

Meh, he gets wheeled out for effect, the eejit.

Objectivity is no friend of Dunphy.

ziggy starbucks

in 1986 argentina won the football world cup playing great stuff with the help of one of the greats of the game diego maradona in fine health. In 1990 they went to the italian world cup to retain their trophy despite being considerably crapper than they were in 1986 and got to the final again, beating the hosts (italy) in the semifinal. Their star player, maradona was injury prone and and not nearly the match winner he once was. They get beat in the final by the miles better west germany in a tedious battle of attrition.

replace football with rugby, argentina with england, maradona with wilkinson, italy with france and west germany with south africa.

Where does Mark Cueto fit into the above analogy?  He's playing in the final on Saturday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/7046466.stm