Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sacre bleu! C'est Le Rugby World Cup.

Started by actwithoutwords, September 07, 2007, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyg27

God, that was utter crap. I actually ended up watching the football for the most part - if you'd told me in the morning that was going to happen I'd have told to fuck off and leave me alone. Really, for any of the major sides to not get a try bonus point against one of the lesser sides is shocking.

Pogue Mahone

I find it amazing how New Zealand, a nation of less than 4.5 million people, has always remained so good at rugby, and so far ahead of everyone else, including nations like England and France with populations of over 50 million, to a certain extent. In saying that, I think I heard that they have a few Fijians and Samoans in their team as well. What are the rules governing national eligibility in rugby?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Pogue Mahone on September 09, 2007, 01:06:00 PM
I find it amazing how New Zealand, a nation of less than 4.5 million people, has always remained so good at rugby, and so far ahead of everyone else, including nations like England and France with populations of over 50 million, to a certain extent. In saying that, I think I heard that they have a few Fijians and Samoans in their team as well. What are the rules governing national eligibility in rugby?

Even if the All Blacks were 100% Kiwi-passport holders, they'd still be awesome.  It's just a way of life there, almost to the exclusion of other sports (netball, cricket, rugby league get a look in, but are still quite a minoriy interest).  Where someone here would support Arsenal or Rangers, they'd support the Crusaders or the Highlanders.  Factor in all the competitions like the Ranfurly Sheild and the NPC Cup and its as much a part of the Kiwi national psyche as footie is over here.

Uncle TechTip

Well, they're not bad at cricket too, isn't it just that they play it a lot and have a good local structure about the game? Same goes for Argentina, where rugby was imported by Welsh immigrants in the early 20C, meaning it's been played for a long time and achieved the structure needed to nurture young talent (listen to me I sound like some amateur pundit)

buttgammon

Uh oh. Canada lead at half time. Well, I guess I live very close to the English border and my dad was English so I'm not that Welsh anyway...

Pogue Mahone

You may get the leeks back out and put them on for dinner now.

Samoa look like a very good counter-attacking side against the South Africans. England could be in big trouble in that group.

buttgammon

I've just been out picking daffodils because it didn't turn out too bad in the end. Still a pretty dreadful performance, especially in the first half. The second Canadian try was especially painful to watch - we were in a great position and it all turned into a complete disaster.

actwithoutwords

Well, this isn't particularly encouraging so far. The number of errors is ridiculous. Better to get them out of the way early obviously, but we need a properly big win here today, given how tight the group is likely to be.

Edit: Oh for fuck sake. And I thought England's score yesterday was embarrassing.

Gulftastic

Pogue Mahone

Quote from: actwithoutwords on September 09, 2007, 07:48:54 PM
Well, this isn't particularly encouraging so far. The number of errors is ridiculous. Better to get them out of the way early obviously, but we need a properly big win here today, given how tight the group is likely to be.

O'Gara's kicking hasn't been fantastic either.

Lu tze

Fucking ITV Wales were showing the Rugby, NO FUCKING F1. Mrs Tze and I had to go emergency visiting to our neighbours who have SKY. Bastards! or even batsards (as I originally typed).

Stiff letter to Bernie is in order I think. He'll hopefully sort the TV bastard moguls out. I mean, fuck me, Wales, rugby....we are crap at it.

Uncle TechTip

Home nations crush minnows. Someone pass the world the remote control so they can fast forward to the quarters.

actwithoutwords

Wales v Australia, South Africa v England, Scotland v Italy, Ireland v France and Ireland v Argentina are all going to be fairly big matches. Though to be honest, depending on your disposition, remove SA v England, and replace with Samoa v England.

Also, Ireland were fucking embarrassing tonight. Embarrassing.

Pogue Mahone

Ireland had made nearly 20 handling errors by the 60th minute. Very poor, indeed.

Famous Mortimer

America defended like a way better team against England, not that England were brilliant but give them a few more world cups and a pro sports league over there and they'll be hammering us left, right and centre.

Brilliant:

Barkley - injured in non contact training
Vickery - probably banned
Tait and Hipkiss - ill and being held in isolation

Bring on South Africa!

drberbatov

hindsight is a wonderful thing but the omission of both Flood and Cipriani from the squad is probably going to cost us

quadraspazzed

Hey, I'm no jackeen, I'm a proud culchie peasant!

I didn't see the game, but me ma was going mad about it. Still, at least they won, unlike those boodymen in the football team. Shocking stuff.

rjd2

Georgia are losing here which is expected however Argentina are two trys short of an crucial bonus point.

actwithoutwords

Bollocks, that was close. 60 seconds away from disaster for Argentina. If Ireland do turn up at some point, I'm still backing us to beat them. They were tactically a bit naive against the French. It is predicated on us playing close to our usual level though, which may well not happen. If it does though, I'd even back us to deny them the bonus point, if we need to.
There is every chance though that our preparation has gone completely wrong, psychologically and physically, and we won't get going whatsoever. That would be utterly gut wrenching. But it's not looking good at the moment.

remedial_gash

Quote from: actwithoutwords on September 12, 2007, 02:22:52 AM
Bollocks, that was close. 60 seconds away from disaster for Argentina. If Ireland do turn up at some point, I'm still backing us to beat them. They were tactically a bit naive against the French. It is predicated on us playing close to our usual level though, which may well not happen. If it does though, I'd even back us to deny them the bonus point, if we need to.
There is every chance though that our preparation has gone completely wrong, psychologically and physically, and we won't get going whatsoever. That would be utterly gut wrenching. But it's not looking good at the moment.

If you can beat them up front, and it's a big if - Hayes is shithouse etc... then you've got backs to out-dazzle them. However, considering your warm ups against Scotland and Italy (it was a forward pass prior to the try - grounding was fine), I think you might struggle.

Personally, I'd love to see both you and the Argies go through - though mainly because Laporte is even more insane than our coach (Gareth 'gyppo' Jenkins).

Good luck mun.

Gash
x

mikeyg27

Quote from: drberbatov on September 11, 2007, 06:45:49 PM
hindsight is a wonderful thing but the omission of both Flood and Cipriani from the squad is probably going to cost us
I'm not sure I would say it's going to 'cost us' because quite frankly England haven't been good enough for the last four years, but it certainly hasn't done us any favours. According to BBC Sport Andy Farrell is going to be fly-half against South Africa, which does leave me a little concerned. Now the Andy Farrell of about 3-4 years ago was a great player and a better talent than anyone in this current England squad and as good as any player in this tournament for all round ability, but the fact of the matter is that he's only been playing Union for about a year now, and he's going to be the exact  kind of fly-half who would fall victim to South Africa's particularly kamikaze style of defence. It's a shame he's been injured so much really, because it would be interesting to see how he would have got on fully fit, but if he was still in Leagu I think he would have retired by now. I really hope he can deliver a dominating performance, but I'm skeptical.

I fear for Farrell here.  It's not going to matter how he plays, when England lose against South Africa on Friday he'll be held up as the one to blame.  People have been complaining about the rubbish coverage of the England football team, but, with a few honourable exceptions, the rugby coverage isn't much better.  London Lite illustrated a story about Olly Barkley last night with a picture of Jonny Wilkinson ffs

actwithoutwords

That Farrell fly-half thing is a potential career-ending decision if ever I've heard one. Ridiculous.

That Japan-Fiji match was absolutely superb. Wonderful finish from the Japanese too. They nearly pulled it off as well. They must have had more than 20 phases after the 80 minutes had finished. Great stuff altogether. What World Cups are all about.

Also, what the fuck is up with yer man Murray Mexted's deliciously un-PC commentary? Some of his cracks about the Irish the other night were pretty bad, and he made some comment about martial arts during the Japanese match today.

bill hicks

This England team are utterly wretched aren't they.

I think this match can be summed up by earlier on after a tackle the tackled player laid the ball back to be taken and ended up having to hold it for about 30 seconds while the England backs had a meeting about what to do. If I remember they ineffectually ran straight into the South African line and gained about a yard.

South Africa on the otherhand are very good. I wouldn't mind them winning this.

quadraspazzed

mikeyg27

The worst part of that was how I pretty much expected that. Admittedly I thought England would at least get a few penalties, but I also thought Safrica would get 40+ points.

Pogue Mahone

Quote from: actwithoutwords on September 12, 2007, 06:54:03 PMAlso, what the fuck is up with yer man Murray Mexted's deliciously un-PC commentary? Some of his cracks about the Irish the other night were pretty bad, and he made some comment about martial arts during the Japanese match today.

Wikipedia describes him as a "color commentator". Allegedly, that permits him to include a bit of humour in his dialogue. What did he say exactly?

Ah, can't be bothered to watch this shit now.  England were awful and never looked like scoring.  SA were scoring when they fancied it.  Worst defence of a (rugby) World Cup ever...

quadraspazzed

Wales were respectable today, enjoyed the match - although I missed most of the first half in which I've been told Wales were pretty atrocious. Still fair fucks to them, they refused to give up and if it hadn't been for that silly non-catch in the second half they could have been in with a shout.