Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:14:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sacre bleu! C'est Le Rugby World Cup.

Started by actwithoutwords, September 07, 2007, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micanio

Wales got absolutely pummelled in the firdst half - they couldn't string two passes together and were constantly on the back foot. The Aussie fly-half (can't remember his name) was awesome, and their pack demolished Wales' as if they were made of soggy cardboard. I missed the 2nd half so it looks like Wales pulled their socks up...

ziggy starbucks

ireland are just as rubbish as england, toiling away against the georgia reserves

actwithoutwords

Ireland have bottled it completely. I feel ill watching them play. The difference between us and England is that this isn't a bad team. We thrashed both South Africa and Australia last Autumn, thrashed England back in March, and but for a last minute lapse of concentration, should have beaten France.

But we have pyschologically shit the bed for this world cup. The level of expectation back home has been very high. It's not often we have a genuinely world class team at anything and Irish sporting competitors have always always struggled with any level of expectation. But even I genuinely thought this team were better than that. Unfortunately not. Missing out on that bonus point I think has quite possibly knocked us out of the world cup. We have to beat France or we are out, barring some kind of bonus point miracle.

It's a toss up next Friday between which team is more psychologically battered. I think we will either finally turn up and still lose narrowly, or play as we have and get tonked out of the world cup.

Ah fuck it. Fuck it all.

mikeyg27

Y'know, I'm beginning to wonder if the standards of the second / third tier nations has increased since the last world cup. Admittedly a few of the top sides have looked below par, but there have been far less major blow outs than at the last world cup. Hell, even Portugal's performance today was an achievement of sorts - I expected New Zealand to get near the 145 they scored against Japan in 1995, and I certainly didn't expect Portugal to score 13 points. What with the USA and Canada looking impressive against Wales and England, perhaps the level of the 'lesser' teams has increased and the top teams have been caught unawares? If (as is being proposed) they reduce the number of teams at the next tournament to sixteen, it could be a genuinely hard fought tournament.

Pogue Mahone

Quote from: actwithoutwords on September 15, 2007, 11:35:10 PMIreland=crap, etc.

I saw only the first 20 minutes of the game, as I headed out for my sister's birthday. By the time I left, Georgia had gotten off to a respectable start, but once Ireland got the try, I was confident that the result would be a foregone conclusion. I was later stunned to hear from the taxi-man home that Ireland had won by only four points.

I don't know what is wrong with Irish sport. I think, possibly, that a lot of its problems stem from the psychological, as opposed to the physical. As a hang-over from Imperial times, maybe we harbour an inferiority complex as a nation that would feel out of place or guilty in some way were we to dominate on the world stage. As admirable an effort to unite it is, I'll be honest; I don't think Ireland's Call helps our cause in the slightest. Other countries are able to take great national pride in their anthems. I cringe when I hear Ireland's Call. An anthem can inspire a team; it can fire them up, but Ireland's Call, to me, is a cop-out or a half-way-house measure and a denial of permission for a certain majority of that team to take true pride in their culture or country. Whether it would be right to play Amhrán na bhFiann for that majority and ignore the minority is another matter, but I certainly don't think it helps our cause as a "single nation" challenging for the Rugby World Cup. I really don't think that that divide (political or not; it's still quite serious when it comes down to it) has any benefit as regards how the team play, while a sense of national unity can be a fantastic spur to other teams.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: micanio on September 15, 2007, 08:16:04 PM
Wales got absolutely pummelled in the firdst half - they couldn't string two passes together and were constantly on the back foot. The Aussie fly-half (can't remember his name) was awesome, and their pack demolished Wales' as if they were made of soggy cardboard. I missed the 2nd half so it looks like Wales pulled their socks up...

I think it was the aussies second try that resulted from a sloppy interception, and we were punished again in the second half when steven jones ballsed up a routine catch, which killed off any chance of a comeback- so without those stupid errors, we would have been 2 points ahead. They just dont seem to make many mistakes these big southern hemisphere sides, and the moment you do, you get punished.

Unlike England, although the welsh passing game was predictably lateral, they at least occasionally showed they possess the ability to  break through the defence. Whats annoying is the minute you do break the line, these sides play a frustrating 'borderline cheating' game, and will happily concede the penalty to prevent you from scoring.  I know people said the ref did Gareth Thomas a favour by not carding him, but the difference is- they'd already scored the try and got the points on the board anwyay-   When Australia do it all over the pitch, they successfully prevent point scoring opportunities.

Pogue Mahone

Is the France-Namibia match on television?

Edit to add: I see it's on Setanta Sports but I don't subscribe to that. I thought ITV were showing all the games.

Pogue Mahone

We don't get ITV 4 on our Sky in Ireland. Ah well.

Crunch time tonight, Ireland v France.  If Ireland win, France are out which would be sensational.  However, it does seem to be the biggest if of all time following Ireland's non too spectacular wins over Namibia and Georgia.  French press seem to be being mischevious too, reporting stuff about Ronan O'Gara's personal life.  Does anyone know the specifics?  I'd be interested to hear what is supposed to be going on.

mikeyg27

Did anyone watch the Wales - Japan match? It was pretty one-sided as you would expect, and for the most part I was watching the Castleford - Widnes game on Sky, but Japan did score one try early on to take the lead with was probably the try of the tournament so far. It also marked the second time in this tournament that Wales have conceded a 90m+ try to a minnow. I'd be worried...

actwithoutwords

Rumours abound about O'Gara. I think the one in the French press was about his alleged 300,000 euro gambling debts, which I'd heard about earlier in the week from a different source. There's a more lurid one about getting caught in bed with his wife's sister, but that's relatively low on the likely factor.
Massive game tonight, absolute ignominy for whoever loses. This French media thing has at least taken the focus off the fact that we are shite. The team seem to be rallying around, which can only be a good thing. I still think we'll get beat though.

Allez les verts.

(Japan are great I have to say, their fearlessness in running with the ball from their own 22 is difficult not to warm to and that try last night was superb, even with the doubts over whether he actually grounded it.)

France v Ireland coming up soon. Should be a cracking match. I predict a heroic, close fought victory for the Irish, but then I am a natural optimist.

ziggy starbucks

quadraspazzed

When Ireland lose they are out, yes.

(Ever the pessimist)

Edit: Actually the commentary guy just said that they can still qualify if certain things happen against Argentina, or something.

God that was crap. Well, I can't be right all the time. Yeah I think Ireland can still qualify if we beat Argentina and get a bonus point or something.

mikeyg27

Well that was an odd viewing experience. I was flicking between this game and the Wigan-Bradford Super League play-off match, and in the first half France seemed to nudge ahead of their game whilst Bradford dominated Wigan and led by 16 points at H/T. After Clerc's first try (Michalak's banana kick was a thing of beauty) I decided to just watch the Super League game, even though Bradford were 30-6 up at this point. Wigan came back to win 31-30 in the most extraordinary half of rugby I've seen all year, and the France-Ireland game slumped into predictable tedium each time I turned over. I made the right choice.

Pogue Mahone

Unfortunately, we never really challenged the French tonight. Any time we did, we'd go and fuck it all up with another bloody handling error. What's new? It was the unforced errors that let France get on top in the first place. How do silly things like that happen to an extremely experienced team who have been playing together for a few years now? Reddan did well, having come in for Stringer, but I felt sorry for Andrew Trimble. He seems to be getting a bit of criticism for being out of position for the first French try (I can only imagine he was called out by a superior) and maybe he could have done better with holding the man back on the second. My girlfriend knows a few people who would have played with him during his time at Coleraine.

Anyway, all we need to do now is beat Argentina by at least seven points and get our four tries in the next game. Then, it'll be on to play the lowly All Blacks. Hurrah for Rugby World Cup 2007 ...

actwithoutwords

Oh dear, quelle disastre. The complete breakdown of all form, confidence and team spirit continues. Ill-discipline tonight was beyond belief. France were merely competent, apart from Michalak's gorgeous kick, but we were truly awful. Looked like a return to the dark ages of the mid-90's tonight.
Can't see us beating the Argies now. We certainly don't deserve to qualify. It's fairly embarrassing to be honest. After being probably the most consistent team in the 6 Nations for the last 4 years, we have just thoroughly and completely blown it. I feel like my child has just fluffed their lines in the Nativity play in front of all the other parents.
There's going to be hell to pay at home for all this. ROG and EOS in particular. Ronan has just lost it completely at the moment. And Eddie surely can't survive if we lose to the Argies. Some of his selection decisions so far have been beyond a joke.

Ireland choking in games that really matter isn't really that much of a surprise is it?  They've got serious form for fucking things up when the pressure's really on.

Yes, France were merely competent, but Ireland are light years away from being competent.  EOS gives the impression that he's suffering from delusions of adequacy at this world cup.  Resorted to making snide comments about the referee and high penalty count, implying that something may have been amiss.

Blaming Trimble for the first try seems to be very harsh indeed.  I think the whole of the Irish team were caught out by a brilliantly inventive kick by Michalak to be honest.

Joy Nktonga

The SA v Tonga game has just finished. SA only just won and Tonga managed to pick up the bonus point. It was an absolutely corking game thanks to SA thinking that they could just coast through and the Tongans' seeming belief that if they really buckled down they could win. Great stuff.

I'm not passing any comment on the soon to kick off England Samoa game except that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for England and will be cheering them riotously while worrying that England could try and play a blinder and still be held back if Samoa go for it the way that Tonga just did. I feel stressed already and it hasn't even begun yet. 

actwithoutwords

Ooh. This Samoa England game is coming to quite a climax. Tonga South Africa probably the best game of the tournament I have seen. Some absolutely superb tries. Tonga were so so close with the last kick of the game as well. That game cheered me up np end.

Gulftastic

Another reason to hate Yawnion is the way they insist on pronouncing 'Samoa' as 'Sarm-oa'. Twats.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 22, 2007, 05:49:42 PM
Another reason to hate Yawnion is the way they insist on pronouncing 'Samoa' as 'Sarm-oa'. Twats.

I'm guessing you're a League man? I've been tempted to get out the other Rugby thread for play-off talk but I've seen very few people here who've seen the light.

Anyway, that was a little better from England. Not perfect, but at least I'm not certain we'll lose to Tonga now.

Pogue Mahone

Wales are in a real spot of bother at the minute.

Pogue Mahone

Just as I was saying that, what a fantastic try by Shane Williams.

What a bloody fantastic match for the neutral/Fiji supporter/anti-Welsh person!  It had everything, and the way the lead kept changing towards the end was very exciting.

I'm made up for Andy Farrell after scoring his try yesterday.  You could see how much it meant to his teammates too, they mobbed him even though the try wasn't that important in the grand scheme.  Hopefully that'll go some way to stopping the media, and some parts of the England coaching staff, from unfairly criticising him.

rjd2

The welsh game was the best match of this world cup. I was very happy for Fiji but Wales well fuck them they hounded out a manager because he had the nerve to take some credit for winning the Grand Slam. Italy on the other hand you had to pity, they have a lot of boys on the wrong side of thirty and you wonder how they can recover from such a defeat. Oh and on Scotland?  anyone who plays such dour route one rugby really do not deserve to far in this cup.  no wonder they play to half empty stadiums.. The wimbledon of old of rugby...

actwithoutwords

Cracker of a Wales game alright, Fiji deserved it but the ten minutes of rugby Wales played after half time was fucking irresistable. Missed most of the Scots game, but sounded like lots of squeaky bum time. I have nothing against the Scots, but it would have been nice to have Italy in the quarters. And Tonga to be honest. In fairness to this world cup, there have been few defining massive clashes so far, but there have been loads of really good games, particularly "minnow" performances.
Bring on the final nail in Ireland's coffin tomorrow. It's the tiny sliver of hope that kills you.

Pogue Mahone

Hope? I can't even see Ireland winning, never mind scoring four tries and winning by at least a seven-point margin. It would be truly miraculous if Ireland were to play a stormer and qualify for the next round. I'm not expecting much, though. What a dreadful, dreadful tournament this has been from an Irish perspective. We arrived with expectations of winning the thing (or at least of making a very credible challenge), but now, with one remaining game in the group stage, we wait on the brink in agony to be inevitably dumped out of the tournament earlier than we really should have been. Of course, we had no right to qualify from such a tough group, but the performances really were a pathetic embarrassment, and that's even before coming up against one of the group's bigger teams tomorrow. We should be beating the likes of Georgia by more than four measly points, for God's sake.

Even though we still have one game left, that reads like a postmortem; that's how little faith I have in this squad of pulling it out of the bag. I have no idea what went wrong in the camp, but they've really let themselves down.