Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris GLR shows

Started by Richcolour!, September 10, 2007, 10:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Oh, lovely! Thanks very much, Rich, it's always a pleasure hearing new GLR stuff.

Richcolour!

Quote from: Beck on September 10, 2007, 11:36:50 AM
Oh, lovely! Thanks very much, Rich, it's always a pleasure hearing new GLR stuff.
You're welcome, I've got a box of these tapes to encode before they disintegrate. They'll appear here over the next few weeks.

Neil

Fucking hell, brilliant!  I remember you promising to get round to these.  You beauty.

boxofslice

Richcolour!

Yeah, Neil, sorry it took about seven years to get round to this :-O

I'll try to finish the task in a timely manner.

The Mumbler

Only halfway through the first one, and it's already brightened up the day no end. Many thanks, richcolour!

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Above and beyond the call of duty.  Cheers!

ggen

Thank you so much! Can't get enough of the GLR shows.

Richcolour!

Oh well, that's all good. I'll dump as many shows as I can on my server until it goes pop.

Milo

The Mumbler

For the most part, you've not even edited the music out, mr colour. Bless you for that. Constantly amazes me how he so often chooses exactly the right track to play. Even if he doesn't want to do radio comedy anymore, I'd settle for a weekly music show.

weirdbeard

Yes, yes, yes!   More, goddamn it!  Never ceases to amaze me when stuff like this emerges online, the fact that not only was it recorded, but the tapes were kept for 15+ years.  Marvellous stuff.

Paaaaul

weirdbeard

Interesting to hear a recycled No Known Cure jingle there right at the start of the first show.  Wonder how much NKC stuff was replicated in the GLR show the following Sunday, not so much the music maybe but certainly the Feedback Reports, Wayne Carr, Michael Alexander St. John and maybe even the competitions.  Would be fascinated to hear two shows back to back.

God, doesn't David Platt have a dull voice?

Ooh, and someone has put up a new episode guide for one of the newly uploaded NKC shows on the wiki.  Great stuff.

Lee

Quote from: weirdbeard on September 10, 2007, 06:47:42 PM
Ooh, and someone has put up a new episode guide for one of the newly uploaded NKC shows on the wiki.  Great stuff.
No problem. Another one going up later...

Richcolour!

Quote from: The Mumbler on September 10, 2007, 03:59:27 PM
For the most part, you've not even edited the music out, mr colour. Bless you for that. Constantly amazes me how he so often chooses exactly the right track to play.

Yes, seventeen years ago I tried to keep most of the shows intact, but some pause-buttoning was needed to squash a two and a half hour show onto a C90. There's the occasional record that I now wish I hadn't clipped, and the flux capacitor is broken on my DeLorean so I can't change things.

But you're right Mumbler, the music is spot on. <MOAN>Why are today's radio stations hopeless at playlisting? They let a computer choose formula-driven safe tracks rather than having confidence in their own choice of what's good. MagicFM / HeartFM etc play the most tired, repeated oldies to bored listeners who can't live without some background durge in their heads. When did radio become so safe, dull and uninspiring?</MOAN>

<LAMENT>Another thing - listening to these shows gives you a sense of enjoyable times in 1990, contrasting with today's moody-arsed seriousness. Email didn't exist so listeners (myself included) wrote letters to the show. When did anyone last post a letter to a radio station?</LAMENT><RANT> Also less than 1% of people had a mobile phone back then. Today we all have about 5 of the buggers each, and we talk meaningless bollocks to each other. We might as well be talking into plastic dog cocks.</RANT>

Ok, I'll shut up now.

weirdbeard

Morris phoning up the BBC complaints line in the 22/7/90 show is great stuff.  I'm not normally a fan of joke phone calls, but the guy on the other end is so professional and takes it all pretty much in his stride, whilst sounding just a bit pissed off.

mitzidog

Stunning work fella! Always great to get new bits to listen too, especially as the nights start drawing in.

afxxx

many thanks for these...really good quality considering the age and on tape! :)

Marginal & Troublesome

Bump

Fantastic!  Radio from halcyon days - thank you very much!

M&T

weirdbeard

Any idea when we'll be getting more of these treats?

Jackson K Pollock

Just wanted to say my own thankyou for uploading these shows. I've been working through them over the last couple of weeks, and they're so much fun.

I can't get over how much They Might Be Giants stuff he plays. As a 10 year-old kid in 1990, I thought I was the only person in the country who knew that TMBG had released at least 2 albums prior to the Birdhouse In Your Soul-featuring Flood.

Some of their instrumental tracks he plays, I swear weren't even released in this country until 1997, so he must have been a real diehard fan. I wonder if he still likes them?

weirdbeard

If anyone who needs a hand with any tapes they might have getting them encoded and put online - give me a shout and I'll do them for you.  I've just got me tape player repaired and could do with giving it a good workout.

Duffy

Curses! Only just noticed this thread and they're gone now.

Neil

Ahh I'll package them into a torrent, was going to do that anyway to save Rich's bandwidth.

Duffy

Cheers Neil, yerra guddun! I'll be sure and keep it seeded.

Richcolour!

Ok, I dropped the ball on this one, switched webhost and forgot to re-upload those files (on the first post of this thread). Most are back, except for 1990_07_22 which won't fit in the new server. Instead of that you can have a newly uploaded show :

http://www.richcolour.com/chris_morris/Chris_Morris_GLR_1993_04_10.MP3

and an ident from Radio One :

http://www.richcolour.com/chris_morris/Chris_Morris_ident_1FM_rnb.MP3

Really must upload more soon, although other projects are leaving me without much time. Hopefully more will appear during January / February.

PS - I'm looking for a dedicated server, unlimited bandwidth, cheap! Anyone recommend?

Beck

All this stuff's hugely appreciated, Rich, but I think that particular show has already surfaced almost in full. That opening gag's not in mine, though - fantastic stuff. Not sure about servers, sorry.