Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 744
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:55:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris GLR shows

Started by Richcolour!, September 10, 2007, 10:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: trench on November 14, 2008, 12:59:49 AM

Oh, I found another GLR, dated 17.04.93. Do you need that one?

That's already in the 'database'. This page is probably the best to use to check what's needed.

ggen

I have a HTTP server I can host all of the radio 1, bluejam & glr shows on if wanted.

weirdbeard

Quote from: ggen on November 15, 2008, 11:43:35 PM
I have a HTTP server I can host all of the radio 1, bluejam & glr shows on if wanted.

Great offer, thanks!  Might need Neil to clear it first though, they all used to be hosted on the cream server before the links got posted on a popular forum with the message "Quick, download them all before they take them down".  At least if the bandwidth gets raped again, it'll be with hosting companies who are used to it.

By the way, I've uploaded all the No Known Cure shows we have and updated the pages.  4 more shows from June 1989 to come when Neil gets round to patching the tapes all together.

Retinend

Does anyone else dislike the NKC/GLR shows? My main problem is with the interminable 'guess what these people have found rather a lot of' segments. For the first few shows, it's funny to hear how curtly he deals with the callers, but that appeal only lasts so long, and after you've gotten bored of that, 50% of each show is utterly tiresome. The Wayne Carr sections are alright, and involve a bit of thought, but they're essentially just a list of puns. I don't like the feedback reports, because apart from the odd one (the "death penalty" one was good - I use it with friends a lot), they're all the same: see if someone will take anything a person with a microphone says seriously. Yes, good point, but the questions themselves are more 'heh' than 'omgroflmao'. 'How far would you distort an egg?' is no different to 'what if a tiger could to press-ups?' to me. I really liked the backmasking reports, but there weren't so many of them.

I dont think you're going to get many replies because this thread stays at the top of the page no matter when the last thread was posted. Ive listened to the full versions fairly recently and want to agree with you about the shows. The competition's are a bit dull and take up a lot of time but you've got to remember he had a 2 hour show to fill and i guess he didnt want to talk constantly. I wonder what he did for the rest of the week? If you compare the GLR shows to Stephen Merchant's radio show, I only heard 1 episode recently and it was quite good but there were 5 contributors/comedians in the studio chipping in which allowed a lot more material to be generated.
I liked some of the straight up jokes like about Timmy Mallet and his brother for example which makes me think Nathan Barley could have been a hell of a lot better if he'd gone back to his roots, got all the recent NME's and him and Brooker just sat in a room and wrote old school gags then wedged them into the plotlines (which i also think needed a bit of work as well).

geeef

A friend of mine has just been going through some old tapes, one of which was the GLR show from 1/4/91, which couldn't see listed on here..so he asked me to post a link, which I now do:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6918551870aaa9d4/

Neil

weirdbeard

Yay!

Episode guide on way...

weirdbeard

Monday 1st April 1991
Bank Holiday Special
10:00am - 12:00pm

Chris Morris is late...
Bible - Graceland
Trevor Dann prank call
David Bowie - Queen Bitch
"Mind The Gap" gag
The B-52s - Private Idaho
Opening link, coming up in the show
R.E.M. - Near Wild Heaven
Competition questions for R.E.M. LP
Feedback Report #1 - Fig jousting
The Beach Boys - Darlin' <cut>
Wayne Carr - Celebrity headlines / Chattybit
Ian Dury - Wake Up And Make Love With Me
David Icke gag / Letters
Carole King - It's Too Late <cut>
What The Heck? Competition
Louis Jordan - Five Guys Named Moe
Black Taxi Driver gag
Young Fresh Fellows - Amy Grant <cut>
GLR Prize Policeman gag
Unknown - Unknown <cut>
Sgt. Murphy chat
Happy Mondays - Holiday <cut>
Competition Callers
The Band - Stage Fright <cut>
Pointless theives gag
11:00am News <cut> / Travel news
Danny Baker's present to Chris
The Band - Stage Fright <cut>
Listener's Letter
The Housemartins - Sheep
Competition Callers

Link cut <tape flip>

Innovations gag
The Kinks - Dead End Street
Newspaper bits
Feedback Report #2 - Standards of brick service
They Must Be Giants - Purple Toupee
Led Zeppelin - The Wanton Song
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Led Zeppelin / Rolling Stones documentary chat
The Rolling Stones - Highwire
Competition Callers (including answer)
The Velvet Underground & Nico - I'll Be Your Mirror
Gardener deaths
Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People
Feedback Report #3 - Fastening people to old carrot
The La's - I Can't Sleep
David Icke competition
Prefab Sprout - Machine Gun Ibiza
Soldier penis story / Listener's letters
James - Sit Down <cut>
David Icke competition answers
R.E.M. - Half A World Away <cut>
Final link

weirdbeard

Quote from: geeef on December 04, 2009, 02:31:23 PM
A friend of mine has just been going through some old tapes, one of which was the GLR show from 1/4/91, which couldn't see listed on here..so he asked me to post a link, which I now do:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6918551870aaa9d4/

Forgot to add a word of thanks for this.  So, thanks.

Hope your friend might find more in his stash.  Quite a few of the GLR stuff is only partial so he might be able to upgrade some even if they are already showing on the GLR page (which does also show the length of the mp3s we have already).

weirdbeard

Fuck me, that La's tune is a tune.  I'll never get over how many artistes Morris has got me into, Velvet Underground, Sly and The Family Stone, the LAs.   The man.

Please, if anyone has any more Morris shows, show your face.

Lots of luv, WB.

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: weirdbeard on November 11, 2008, 06:33:16 PM
Thanks Trench!

Just realised, there's two other shows I don't have which I failed to mention in that initial post.  They are 21/10/90 and 04/11/90.

Just wondering, does anybody have these shows? They're also the only two I'm missing.

typeforty

With the renewed interest following the Radio 4 Extra show, is there anywhere still hosting the GLR Morris shows? There's a lot of shows listed in this thread and the Wiki, but all of the links are dead... Appreciate hearing from anyone who could hook me up :)

ashd

Just want to add to this I'd also love to get my hand on more GLR & No known cure episodes, I've downloaded and listened to everything in the mp3s section and would quite like to get my hands on any more floating around...

weirdbeard

I will work on getting everything I have uploaded (again) some time in the coming week. Having said that, there is supposed to be a load of upgrades of the stuff already out there and new stuff coming, but whether they'll ever see the light of day is another matter entirely. It always seems to be one step forward, three steps back when it comes to this kind of shit, unfortunately.

weirdbeard

Let's have a look. I think Neil has everything post 1994 - that's the Radio 1 Music Shows and Blue Jam in his folder at http://www.mediafire.com/?7nwws075tk5vj

So, I'll put up everything I have of No Known Cure, GLR and Morning Edition to a MEGA folder.

typeforty

That'd be amazing; thanks, weirdbeard!

weirdbeard

Right. Everything I have of No Known Cure, GLR and Morning Edition. Knock yourselves out.

https://mega.co.nz/#F!pRoDiZ6I!Y_O8IC0JVZJV_dT5I3ooXg

Joy Nktonga

Thanks dude. Never heard this stuff before. That's awesome of you.

typeforty

Thanks hugely, I look forward to downloading these later :)

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Quote from: weirdbeard on December 01, 2014, 08:44:37 PM
Right. Everything I have of No Known Cure, GLR and Morning Edition.
Whoa. Extremely chuffed & grateful.

MoonDust

This is great! Cheers for sharing!

MoonDust

The episode on 01/07/1990 where he's playing Gracie Fields songs backwards. Brilliant! It's around the 40 minute mark.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Hypodeemic Nerdle on December 02, 2014, 10:37:00 AM
Whoa. Extremely chuffed & grateful.

It's all stuff downloaded from this very forum over the years, so the credit goes to those lone recorders and encoders. Just keeping the torch burning.

steveh

Ancient highlights compilation from my tapes that I don't think ever surfaced here: http://www.mixcloud.com/steveaitch/chris-morris-glr-best-of-compilation/.

weirdbeard

Quote from: steveh on December 04, 2014, 03:14:49 PM
Ancient highlights compilation from my tapes that I don't think ever surfaced here: http://www.mixcloud.com/steveaitch/chris-morris-glr-best-of-compilation/.

Fantastic!

Listen to that, straight from the start - that's the effort he was putting into the trailers!