Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

advice sought: ipods

Started by wensleydale, September 19, 2007, 01:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SetToStun

On behalf of everyone who's ever used a bus, tube or train, may I just beseech you to - whatever manner of iPod you do choose - buy some decent earphones? Plug/bullet style for preference. No-one else needs to hear your music/movies/whatever - especially not in that shitty pseudo-sound style that the standard "stereo widening" 'phones are designed to throw out into the wider world.

Sony make fantastic, discrete 'phones for about £17. Even Sennheiser, I believe, have a very reasonably-priced version.

Please. I'll love you to bits and everything.

olafr

Quote from: greencalx on March 05, 2008, 08:32:05 AM
It had never crossed my mind to interact with an mp3 player in the same way as a USB stick and it's not clear to me that I would want to.

It's not clear to me why you shouldn't want to. Surely it's an easier, more streamlined process to just drag and drop mp3s over to the player using the actual OS rather than any other softeware?

Tetsuo: Ironmonger

Quote from: greencalx on March 05, 2008, 08:32:05 AM
I still don't understand why the ludicrously cryptic file layout on the iPod is the fault of iTunes though. Presumably it's the iPod software that expects the files to be laid out like that? Or are you telling me that if you use the iPod like an external drive (which you can through the Terminal) and just drop some arbitrarily-named mp3s onto it, the iPod would still find them and allow you to play them?
It's the fault of neither iTunes nor the iPod, they're working for each other - it's the fault of Apple. They designed the iPod so that as an mp3 player, it will only recognise songs exported to it in the cryptic style you mentioned.

Try enabling it for disk use then plopping some songs on through the OS... they won't be read by the iPod! How about that.

Mindbear

My thoughts on ipod purchase are basically, if you really really love your music, go for the classic big storage version, I go nowhere without mine and it's fantastic, especially since I got the newer video version ( I can't afford the new big one, but my god I'll get one when I'm able) but I will tell you this. If you have an ipod, get sodding applecare. I went through SEVEN ipods in two years because of them going wrong almost constantly. If you have six faulty ones, the next one will mean an upgrade to a better version, which rules, so make sure you get that cover, it's invaluable, because ipods are great, but brittle sickly beings too.

I wouldn't bother with the touch, I'd go for a big ipod, and the iphone. Both of which I really, really, really want!

olafr

Quote from: Mindbear on March 06, 2008, 02:40:14 AM
If you have an ipod, get sodding applecare. I went through SEVEN ipods in two years because of them going wrong almost constantly. If you have six faulty ones, the next one will mean an upgrade to a better version, which rules, so make sure you get that cover, it's invaluable, because ipods are great, but brittle sickly beings too.

Do you not think the TeknoKonsumer god (praise be upon her) is trying to tell you something at this point?

I wouldn't bother with the touch, I'd go for a big ipod, and the iphone. Both of which I really, really, really want!

Never was a product so (almost) aptly named. Enjoy the benefits of forced labour!

sparklewhore

I'm sure that i'm being dumb, but......whenever i remove songs from my itunes playlist and choose to keep them somewhere else rather than delete them totally i can't find them on my PC again.  Where should I look? 

thanks

Paaaaul

My thoughts on ipod purchase are basically, if you really really love your music, go for the classic big storage version, I go nowhere without mine and it's fantastic, especially since I got the newer video version ( I can't afford the new big one, but my god I'll get one when I'm able) but I will tell you this. If you have an ipod, get sodding applecare. I went through SEVEN ipods in two years because of them going wrong almost constantly. If you have six faulty ones, the next one will mean an upgrade to a better version, which rules, so make sure you get that cover, it's invaluable, because ipods are great, but brittle sickly beings too.

If I bought an iPod and it fucked up twice in two years, I would be pissed off.
You are a fruitcake.

greencalx

Quote from: olafr on March 05, 2008, 12:44:22 PM
It's not clear to me why you shouldn't want to. Surely it's an easier, more streamlined process to just drag and drop mp3s over to the player using the actual OS rather than any other softeware?

Except that the way my mind and/or my filing habits work (probably both) I can never find what I'm looking for when a folder contains more than about 10 files.

Uncle TechTip

See, whether it's 1TB hard disk or 32GB flash you can still drop it on a hard surface, so on that basis I am never buying a disk-based player again. I suppose iPods are no more susceptible to this than any other brand, though I do hear about a lot of broken iPods, but that could be cos everyone has one it would seem. I agree though, seven in two years is just ridiculous, I'd give in and get a USB cheapo from Tesco.

SetToStun

Or, alternatively, get one of these - they're brilliant 'phones and take a 4GB pro-stick duo card so plenty of music capacity (for normal people, anyway). And they come with earphones that don't broadcast your choice of music to the entire fucking train.

olafr

Quote from: greencalx on March 06, 2008, 08:41:20 PM
Except that the way my mind and/or my filing habits work (probably both) I can never find what I'm looking for when a folder contains more than about 10 files.

So what's stopping you from dragging and dropping lots of folders that only contain about 10 files across to your mp3 player all in one go? That's what I do.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: SetToStun on March 07, 2008, 09:39:19 AM
Or, alternatively, get one of these - they're brilliant 'phones and take a 4GB pro-stick duo card so plenty of music capacity (for normal people, anyway). And they come with earphones that don't broadcast your choice of music to the entire fucking train.
I've got a w810i, and am very happy with it. I do find the software makes creating playlists impossible (I've studied it for ages and can't figure it out) and you can't play an album featuring lots of different bands, you can only sort through the bands. Unless someone knows of good hacked software for one? I saw an iPod Touch running some nice hacked software and it looked gorgeous.

SetToStun

Well, the playlist creation on the W850i is a genuine piece of piss - the work of but seconds. And it lets you browse by artist, album, track or playlist so there's no problem there, either. It's odd - I would have assumed that the same Walkman software would have been common to all W 'phones, most strange. Get an 850 - they're probably about 50p now there are so many newer ones out...

mothman

I am nursing my 3G iPod along until the Touch has a decent capacity. I've also choisen to install a latest version of iTunes onto my new PC rather than the 2003-vintage version I've previously used. So far I haven't dared to actually connect the iPod to it yet. . .

Uncle TechTip

Music and phones don't mix. Just more battery to drain. Keep the devices separate. And *3700*# trick will only work on Nokias.

Marvin

I may be getting a new laptop soon and I'm thinking of going for a MacBook. Is this a good or a bad idea in people's experience?

Mr Faineant

its a great idea, depending on your usage, what do you intend to use it for?

Marvin

The usual stuff (internet, work etc) plus music and photo editing, that kind of thing. Also want something I can take around a lot, find a lot of laptops too bulky and heavy but really like the size of the MacBooks.

Mr Faineant

Yeah, i think macbooks are great for basic use, but if you intend to run any big visual based programs, you should get the macbook pro. The Macbook only has an integrated graphics card, so wont support anything major in that way. As far as photo editing though, it should be fine. Photoshop and the like should run fine with it.
I'm going to be getting one soon too, being an apple employee i get 25% off, so that's pretty nice. I'm trying to convince myself not to get the 15" Pro, which is what i really want!

Mindbear

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 06, 2008, 05:38:10 PM
If I bought an iPod and it fucked up twice in two years, I would be pissed off.
You are a fruitcake.

I'm not a fruitcake, I got a replacement! I spent out that money four years back and I have a vaguely newish ipod still, I'm kind of pleased they kept fucking up, it meant it got a lovely one that I can play videos on. Bear in mind, I am absolutely retarded when it comes to technology, I have two tvs that are twenty years old, three dvd players that don't work and cost me just over a tenner, and I think the Wii I own is powered by the demons.

olafr

Quote from: Mindbear on March 07, 2008, 06:00:36 PM
I'm not a fruitcake,

I stopped reading right there. It's the lies I can't stand.

Mindbear

Quote from: olafr on March 07, 2008, 06:39:11 PM
I stopped reading right there. It's the lies I can't stand.
[/quote

Oh shit, i'm sorry, I should think before I post stuff that could have me arrested under the trades description act...

Paaaaul

I went through SEVEN ipods in two years because of them going wrong almost constantly. If you have six faulty ones, the next one will mean an upgrade to a better version, which rules, so make sure you get that cover, it's invaluable, because ipods are great, but brittle sickly beings too.
If I buy something, I expect it to work.
If I have to get a replacement, I get pissed off, but assume the replacement will work.
If the replacement doesn't work, I want my money back and I'm going somewhere else with it.

If you need to buy some sort of cover to ensure that you'll have a working product, you're being screwed over twice.

That's the technological equivalent of battered wife syndrome.

Quote from: Mindbear on March 07, 2008, 06:00:36 PM
I'm not a fruitcake
You are.

Rolf Harris

I've had my iPod for 2 years and have never had a problem with it. I look after it, and I look after the battery too - meaning I don't just stick it on charge at any moment when I'm not using it. I still get a good 2 or 3 days regular use out of it per charge. I haven't upgraded the soft/firm(?)ware on mine for ages either. It works just fine, I don't want to risk messing with it.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I think the people who complain about problems with their iPods - especially those who whinge about battery life - just don't know how to use and look after them properly. And fair enough, it's not really explained in the in-box documentation, but it's not hard to find online.

Mindbear

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 07, 2008, 08:27:18 PM
If I buy something, I expect it to work.
If I have to get a replacement, I get pissed off, but assume the replacement will work.
If the replacement doesn't work, I want my money back and I'm going somewhere else with it.

If you need to buy some sort of cover to ensure that you'll have a working product, you're being screwed over twice.
That's the technological equivalent of battered wife syndrome.
You are.

Needlessly harsh I think. Since my ipod upgrade, i've had literally not one problem with it. I have the first version of the video ipod, but the original one was the 40mb clicky wheel with no frill or color screen. Every single one would crash constantly, and then it'd get a sad face and die within three or four months. I had cover, got it changed over for free, and because of the unacceptable amount of repairs I got a video ipod for no extra cost. To me, I got pretty good service because clearly that version of the ipod was screwed, but the newer one didn't have those problems. You get cover for the first year, and after that you pay....fair enough i'd say.

olafr

Quote from: Mindbear on March 10, 2008, 02:26:19 AM
Needlessly harsh I think. Since my ipod upgrade, i've had literally not one problem with it. I have the first version of the video ipod, but the original one was the 40mb clicky wheel with no frill or color screen. Every single one would crash constantly, and then it'd get a sad face and die within three or four months. I had cover, got it changed over for free, and because of the unacceptable amount of repairs I got a video ipod for no extra cost. To me, I got pretty good service because clearly that version of the ipod was screwed, but the newer one didn't have those problems. You get cover for the first year, and after that you pay....fair enough i'd say.

These comment might come across as a bit harsh, Mindbear, but the general thrust of the points is right. You might think you've got a good deal out of it all in the end but to need SEVEN replacements in only 2 years is absolutely fucked and I think most people would be reticent in trying to justify it never mind proffer it as a good result. Even if I knew nothing else about Apple, to me, your story would put me off them for life rather than think 'oh look, they gave Mindbear a free upgrade!'

Mindbear

I do see what you're saying, I'm not saying that I got a good product. I felt I got a result as I got a product at the end that I could never have afforded to buy. If however I was someone who expected good service from a product they'd paid a lump sum for I can see it'd put you off for life. However, I'd spent out, got the bad product, but ended up with a great one that I have no problems with, so I felt in the end, it worked out well. It was just that one type of ipod that was shit, no one else I know has had problems with subsequent models.

SOTS

They still fucking die after 14 months though.

Or at least my one did. I'm sticking with my my slightly bulky but trusty Zen Vision M. The only thing that pisses me off ab out that is when it freezes (which isn't very often) and you have to find a pin that you use to reset it. A pain in the arse if i'm out anywhere and don't happen to have office stationery to hand.

Tokyo Sexwhale

You could always just carry a pin around with you!

Anyway, ipods - my battery died 13 months after purchase - so I bought a battery of these guys for about £19 (allowing for exchange rates):

www.ipodjuice.com

As well as the battery, you get a couple of tools to help you open the ipod - and promises a 10 year lifespan!

After a couple of teething problems, (I didn't push the battery connector in deep enough), I can gladly say it seems to work fine (and far preferable to paying Apple £50 for someone else's refurbished ipod).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on March 10, 2008, 08:08:59 PM
Anyway, ipods - my battery died 13 months after purchase - so I bought a battery of these guys for about £19 (allowing for exchange rates):

www.ipodjuice.com

As well as the battery, you get a couple of tools to help you open the ipod - and promises a 10 year lifespan!
Handy link there TSW. If I still had one (and my battery went after a roughly approximate period of time) I'd be on to them like a shot. Although if your iPod goes after 14 months, or whatever, you could reasonably sue them under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) - the bit that says goods must be fit for purpose. An expensive piece of kit which only lasts just beyond a year is not fit for purpose, and you'll almost certainly just get a new one out of them as soon as you tell them you're going down that road.