Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Polly Jean Harvey- White Chalk

Started by actwithoutwords, September 21, 2007, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

There doesn't seem to be any thread about this. It's out on Monday, and leaked a couple of weeks ago. It's really lovely stuff. Quite a departure from her recent work. Almost entirely based around piano, very few guitars, and Polly singing about an octave above her usual range. Seems to be getting good reviews as well from what I've seen.
The first track The Devil is my standout so far, gorgeous. The cover has an incredibly striking photo as well, methinks the vinyl version is the one for me.

Don_Preston

Heard one of the new ones (may've been the single?) in HMV the other afternoon. Quite haunting stuff actually

Marvin

Damn, I didn't know it had leaked. Really looking forward to this, Polly is a hero of mine and I'm really impressed with the single.

joeyzaza

This is a quite outstanding album, and it's really been creeping under my skin in the last week. Apart from the fairly adventurous musical shift to a piano-based sound, Polly's voice also sounds radically different, and it suits the songs beautifully.

It's great when an artist puts on a different musical costume and they wear it well instantly, as if they've been doing it for years. Cracking stuff.

I only wish the album was a little longer...

monkhouse terror

i saw her preview material from this in barcelona in the summer, the crowd were totally blown away by the new stuff, stunned silence throughout the place

Glebe

Heard one of the songs on the radio, can't remember what it went like except I thought it was quite good, didn't know it was PJ!!

Couple of new PJ interviews:

Times Online - PJ Harvey steps into the light.

Guardian Unlinited - Songs of innocence and experience.

An a live review:

Times Online - Pete Paphides at Colston Hall, Bristol.