Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:47:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: RADIOHEAD: IN RAINBOWS: OCTOBER 10

Started by actwithoutwords, October 01, 2007, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

www.radiohead.com

10 days time. 10 days time.

EDIT for actual details:

Available for download from 10 October for whatever price you see fit.

Physical release available from Radiohead website only from 3 December: Double Heavyweight Vinyl and Enhanced CD Discbox all packaged in a hardback book.

CD 1 AND VINYL
15 STEP
BODYSNATCHERS
NUDE
WEIRD FISHES/ARPEGGI
ALL I NEED
FAUST ARP
RECKONER
HOUSE OF CARDS
JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE
VIDEOTAPE

CD 2 AND VINYL
MK 1
DOWN IS THE NEW UP
GO SLOWLY
MK 2
LAST FLOWERS
UP ON THE LADDER
BANGERS AND MASH
4 MINUTE WARNING

monkhouse terror

what the fuck is a discbox and why is it 40 pounds
Posted on: October 01, 2007, 02:15:14 AM
and why do i choose how much to pay for a download

stop making statements about stuff you fucking alternative-but-actually-mainstream cunts

actwithoutwords

Damn you Radiohead for making the most interesting launch of an album possibly ever (as far as I can think of anyway, in my addled state). They are officially giving it away for whatever you want to take it for. How is that not fucking really interesting?

Roy*Mallard

LeboviciAB84

Quote from: actwithoutwords on October 01, 2007, 02:10:51 AMPhysical release available from Radiohead website only from 3 December: Double Heavyweight Vinyl and Enhanced CD Discbox all packaged in a hardback book.

There y'are.

Crivvens, this is exciting! I only hope it's not the in the 'mature-experimental' vein of Hail To The Thief. Burst my ears, Jonny!

chocky909

I fucking love Radiohead.

QuoteDISCBOX
THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD
AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.
A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.
THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

THE ALBUM DOWNLOAD AUTOMATICALLY COMES WITH THIS PACK.
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE FILE DIGITALLY FROM THE 10TH OCTOBER 2007.

DISCBOXES ARE BEING MADE TO ORDER AND ARE PRICED AT £40.00 INCLUDING POSTAGE.
SHIPPING WILL BEGIN ON OR BEFORE 3RD DECEMBER 2007

Ordered. Now I'm late for work.

Roy*Mallard

Love em too, and hope that the album IS in the same vein as Hail To The Thief - love that album. I just want the standard edition tho, can't be doing with the limited edition stuff.

mitzidog

Oooh!

Shiny discobox thing ordered - no more new Wii games this month then!

buntyman

Does £40 seem reasonable to everyone? Seems a lot to me but i'm a sucker for fancy packages and from what i've heard of the content, i'm pretty confident that it'll be very good. Is this discbox a limited edition thing do you think or will you be able to get it off Amazon for a tenner less nearer the time?

biggytitbo

It'll be fascinating to see which way this goes. I suspect most people will pay nothing, but you'd like to think the trust of the band would be repayed. It's really really fucking over the record companies though which is brilliant.

buntyman

Anyone else having trouble ordering on the website? It keeps coming up as Zimbabwe for my delivery address and won't accept the security code I put in

chand

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 01, 2007, 09:23:20 AM
It'll be fascinating to see which way this goes. I suspect most people will pay nothing, but you'd like to think the trust of the band would be repayed. It's really really fucking over the record companies though which is brilliant.

Presumably the people paying fuck-all/50p will be offset by the people stumping up £40 for the box. And there will be a LOT of them, trust me.

I'm sure it will work out for them, but it's the sort of thing that will work for Radiohead and not for the vast majority of other bands. Radiohead have a gigantic, obsessive, internet-savvy fanbase which will ensure they can make money out of it (plus the comfort zone of six previous albums which have sold a hefty amount combined!).

Fuck me I'm excited. "In Rainbows" is a nice title. From the live bootlegs I've heard, the new songs sound very promising aswell. If I had 40 quid that shit would be ordered right now. I'm fucked basically, because I can't download anything at the moment either. AAAAAGGHHHH

chocky909

I'm interested in how the mass downloading is going to happen presumably at midnight on Wednesday. I wonder if there'll be a queue system, if there'll be a choice of format and bitrates and whether the server will be able to handle hundreds of thousands of users trying to download simultaneously. I predict it'll be messy but fun. I hope it is released at midnight so I can listen to it that night. Radiohead sounds best at that time.

This must be the first time in a long while that an big, eagerly awaited album will be listened to by the majority of the fans for the first time on the intended release date. Quite an achievement. That's presuming it doesn't leak sometime in the next ten days of course...

I've only just realised that we'll only be getting the first 10 track of CD1 on the 10th October. CD2 is only in the discbox. That will probably leak before the 3rd of December I reckon.

10 tracks on the 10th of the tenth month. Suggested donation £10?

buntyman

Quote from: chocky909 on October 01, 2007, 11:04:45 AM
if there'll be a choice of format and bitrates
I've never downloaded music from a legitimate site before so was wondering about this. Do you get a choice of mp3 quality on itunes etc? Also how easy is it to compress (if you wanted to put it on a shitty 256mb player for example) if you have it at 320kbps to begin with?

Little Hoover

Quote from: chocky909 on October 01, 2007, 11:04:45 AM
I'm interested in how the mass downloading is going to happen presumably at midnight on Wednesday. I wonder if there'll be a queue system, if there'll be a choice of format and bitrates and whether the server will be able to handle hundreds of thousands of users trying to download simultaneously. I predict it'll be messy but fun. I hope it is released at midnight so I can listen to it that night. Radiohead sounds best at that time.

This must be the first time in a long while that an big, eagerly awaited album will be listened to by the majority of the fans for the first time on the intended release date. Quite an achievement. That's presuming it doesn't leak sometime in the next ten days of course...

I've only just realised that we'll only be getting the first 10 track of CD1 on the 10th October. CD2 is only in the discbox. That will probably leak before the 3rd of December I reckon.

10 tracks on the 10th of the tenth month. Suggested donation £10?

I got polyphonic sprees new album for less than that in HMV, I think I'll go with £5. 50p per track, or £1 per member. Maybe £6 to cover any other costs.

monkhouse terror

i can't choose a separate delivery address from billing address?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

chocky909

You should be able to. Maybe the site is a bit glitchy?

QuoteI'm not at home during the day. How can I get my goods?

We offer you the option of giving a delivery address other than your home address so you could arrange for your goods to be sent to your workplace or a neighbour who you know is in during the daytime. If the delivery person isn't able to deliver your order because no one is in, a card will usually be left giving instructions on how to arrange redelivery.

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Advice.html

monkhouse terror

Marvin

Quote from: buntyman on October 01, 2007, 09:14:08 AM
Does £40 seem reasonable to everyone? Seems a lot to me but i'm a sucker for fancy packages and from what i've heard of the content, i'm pretty confident that it'll be very good. Is this discbox a limited edition thing do you think or will you be able to get it off Amazon for a tenner less nearer the time?

No, each box is being produced to order only (hence the two month wait).

I'm terribly excited about this - I've seen most of these songs live and they were in the main, incredible, and it's a great way to release the album. I love the attitude of 'we've finished it, so let's put it online'. Just trying to work out if I can afford to order the disc box now...

Emma Raducanu

Disc Box ordered. Teheeheheahaaa muwahahahahaaaaaaaa

chocky909

I notice there is a 'transaction fee' for the digital download. Seeing as I've pre ordered a discbox I'd be interested to see what the fee is.

Mid post edit: Oh it's 45p. So that means even if you choose to pay nothing you still have to enter your card details and billing address. I predict a few younger fans getting annoyed at the need to have a credit or debit card.

niat

Hmmm, don't know if I've paid for the box set or not. When it got to the "Verified by Visa" popup, I entered my details and password (hopefully correct) then the popup disappeared and the Radiohead page was stuck. I wasn't redirected to another page, as it said I would.

Do I re-enter my details and risk ordering 2? Help!

Edit: When I tried to refresh the page, I got an error message that it was a duplicate transaction, so the Radiohead site seems to have taken my order. The Visa thing could still fuck up though. Shit.

chocky909

You should recieve an email straight away when you pay for it. If you didn't then the transaction probably didn't go through. If you have online banking you could check because I believe they take the £40 straight away. Order it again and you'll be fine. If it turns out you ordered 2 you can contact them and cancel one. See the link to FAQs I posted earlier.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: niat on October 01, 2007, 01:39:03 PM
Hmmm, don't know if I've paid for the box set or not. When it got to the "Verified by Visa" popup, I entered my details and password (hopefully correct) then the popup disappeared and the Radiohead page was stuck. I wasn't redirected to another page, as it said I would.

Do I re-enter my details and risk ordering 2? Help!

Edit: When I tried to refresh the page, I got an error message that it was a duplicate transaction, so the Radiohead site seems to have taken my order. The Visa thing could still fuck up though. Shit.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me a couple of times.  Only one of my attempts was finalised and so far I've only had one confirmation email.

Cack Hen

There are very few other bands that could do this. I hope it's good, I'm sure it will be.

Incidentally, I don't think the bandwidth surge at midnight will be too much of  a problem because you know that within minutes of going on sale it'll be available on blogs, forums and torrent sites.

chocky909

Marvin

They may be releasing it as a standard album, but not until next year.

Well, Discbox it is...

I like that people are actually talking about how much they'll pay for the download, I can't imagine anyone outside of this site putting anything other than £0.00 and laughing about it, the ungrateful cunts.

Of course they can only do this because they're Radiohead and their publicity machine is unstoppable at this point, but it's a step in the right direction. If more established bands start doing things like this then it's only a matter of time before all record companies die forever, and music will only be available directly from the artists. Viva la revolution! etc.

actwithoutwords

Interesting article in Time

QuoteRadiohead Says: Pay What You Want

Roughly 12,000 albums are released in an average year, so the announcement late Sunday night that the new Radiohead record, In Rainbows, will be out Oct. 10 is not itself big news. Sure, Radiohead is on a sustained run as the most interesting and innovative band in rock, but what makes In Rainbows important — easily the most important release in the recent history of the music business — are its record label and its retail price: there is none, and there is none.

In Rainbows will be released as a digital download available only via the band's web site, Radiohead.com. There's no label or distribution partner to cut into the band's profits — but then there may not be any profits. Drop In Rainbows' 15 songs into the on-line checkout basket and a question mark pops up where the price would normally be. Click it, and the prompt "It's Up To You" appears. Click again and it refreshes with the words "It's Really Up To You" — and really, it is. It's the first major album whose price is determined by what individual consumers want to pay for it. And it's perfectly acceptable to pay nothing at all.

Radiohead's contract with EMI/Capitol expired after its last record, Hail to the Thief, was released in 2003; shortly before the band started writing new songs, singer Thom Yorke told TIME, "I like the people at our record company, but the time is at hand when you have to ask why anyone needs one. And, yes, it probably would give us some perverse pleasure to say 'F___ you' to this decaying business model." On Sunday night, guitarist Jonny Greenwood took to Radiohead's Dead Air Space blog and nonchalantly announced, "Hello everyone. Well, the new album is finished, and it's coming out in 10 days. We've called it In Rainbows. Love from us all."

While many industry observers speculated that Radiohead might go off-label for its seventh album, it was presumed the band would at least rely on Apple's iTunes or United Kingdom-based online music store 7digital for distribution. Few suspected the band members had the ambition (or the server capacity) to put an album out on their own. The final decision was apparently made just a few weeks ago, and, when informed of the news on Sunday, several record executives admitted that, despite the rumors, they were stunned. "This feels like yet another death knell," emailed an A&R executive at a major European label. "If the best band in the world doesn't want a part of us, I'm not sure what's left for this business."

Labels can still be influential and profitable by focusing on younger acts that need their muscle to get radio play and placement in record stores — but only if the music itself remains a saleable commodity. "That's the interesting part of all this," says a producer who works primarily with American rap artists. "Radiohead is the best band in the world; if you can pay whatever you want for music by the best band in the world, why would you pay $13 dollars or $.99 cents for music by somebody less talented? Once you open that door and start giving music away legally, I'm not sure there's any going back."

The ramifications of Radiohead's pay-what-you-want experiment will take time to sort out, but for established artists at least, turning what was once their highest value asset — a much buzzed-about new album — into a loss leader may be the wave of the future. Even under the most lucrative record deals, the ones reserved for repeat, multi-platinum superstars, the artists can end up with less than 30% of overall sales revenue (which often is then split among several band members). Meanwhile, as record sales decline, the concert business is booming. In July, Prince gave away his album 3121 for free in the U.K. through the downmarket Mail on Sunday newspaper. At first he was ridiculed. Then he announced 21 consecutive London concert dates — and sold out every one of them.

Goodness knows what impact this is going to have. But if nothing else, it's going to accelerate the evolution of the industry. Depending on how this works out, they are providing a potentially viable model for a successful artist with a captive audience. While I can't see it working for unknown artists. this can only lead to more innovation I think.
It's such a massive kick in the nuts to the major labels, beautiful.