Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: RADIOHEAD: IN RAINBOWS: OCTOBER 10

Started by actwithoutwords, October 01, 2007, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 10, 2007, 02:29:23 PM
Hmm...I do like the live version with the rock-out section at the end, but I don't think it would have worked very well as an album finale.

Exactly.  It's similar to, say, The Tourist on OK Computer in that it gently winds the album down. I think it does the job beautifully and it's simplicity is entirely appropriate for the tone of the piece.

That article is shite. I was going to write more about it, but it's clearly just wilful iconoclasm intended to provoke a reaction.

Reckon they'll make any singles?

Roll on December for disc 2!

actwithoutwords

I shouldn't let it, but that BBC article really made me angry. They have a perfectly good review elsewhere on the site, but that ill informed shallow piece of shite is in their frontline pieces in the entertainment section.

I am absolutely loving "All I Need" so far. I'll need to listen to the whole album with headphones a few times before the others particularly grow on me I reckon.

Pseudopath

The Guardian give it 5 stars: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/10/radioheads_in_rainbows_is_it_a.html

The Times give it 4: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/cd_reviews/article2621947.ece

I'm still waiting to have a chuckle at the Pitchfork review, but their site's running like a dog. Oh...they haven't done one yet.

no_offenc

Quote from: actwithoutwords on October 10, 2007, 03:18:52 PM
I shouldn't let it, but that BBC article really made me angry. They have a perfectly good review elsewhere on the site, but that ill informed shallow piece of shite is in their frontline pieces in the entertainment section.

I wouldn't worry, it was obviously written by somebody who has shit in their ears.  And their brain.  Probably rubbing their hands together going "oooh I wonder how many fanboys this will tick off, god I'm so fucking good at music journalism..." whilst countless dozens of people who can actually write and who actually have some sort of fucking clue about music and who would probably kill for a job writing about new music for the BBC are stood in dole queues and retail jobs nationwide.  I digress.

If people let that rubbish influence their opinion of probably one of the best albums of the year (okay, I said it, happy now?) then they're as much of a fucking moron as the idiot that wrote it in the first place.

Do excuse me, I've been wrestling with page layout software all afternoon (open source, which is a bit of a headache... one day I'll have a mac and some decent software... one day) and needed to vent a bit.

El Unicornio, mang

actwithoutwords

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: actwithoutwords on October 10, 2007, 04:26:38 PM
Fuck me, linked from that Guardian review:
the most pseudish heap of stream of consciousness bollocks you are likely to read in quite a while

Sort yourself out Morley.

Wanking on about Bollocks.  Why do music journalists these days either fancy themselves as comedians, insist on promoting how cool they are, or try to be so post modern the review loses any value whatsoever?

Clint Hollow

Definitely one of the worst reviews of the year so far for one of the best albums of the year so far.

*Breaths*

Cack Hen

Ahh, I'm so pleased with this album. The way it flows really reminds me of Amnesiac, which is my favourite RAdiohead album.

alan nagsworth

My bank just called, I've gone over my overdraft limit today (which frankly is bullshit since I haven't bought shit in about 5 days) so looks like it's sendspace for me. Fucking twatbaskets.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Cack Hen on October 10, 2007, 04:56:20 PM
Ahh, I'm so pleased with this album. The way it flows really reminds me of Amnesiac, which is my favourite RAdiohead album.

Mine too.  It often gets overlooked as the offcuts of Kid A - usually because it doesn't flow in the same way as its predecessor - but it's got an incredible atmosphere.  In Rainbows is similar in its range of styles.

alan nagsworth

To be honest I've just wanted to say that for a very long time. Although once the album's downloaded I can come and tell you all to stop being so faux-obscuro and fuck off back to Nathan Barleyland if you want?

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on October 10, 2007, 09:35:36 AM
I'm pretty sure Neil doesn't approve of linking to whole albums on the forum.

I'm not sure on this one, as you can get it legally for free and most of the people downloading I hope would be those who had already paid, that was the spirit it was intended. I hope I haven't over stepped the mark there.

alan nagsworth

Well this is just devine. I'm very pleased with this. HTTT was very good in my opinion, but not excellent, and this just seems to take that step back up to excellent.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on October 10, 2007, 05:17:52 PM
I'm not sure on this one, as you can get it legally for free and most of the people downloading I hope would be those who had already paid, that was the spirit it was intended. I hope I haven't over stepped the mark there.

Hmm, I suppose you're right. It still breaches the 'No More Than 3 Mp3z Per Post' rule though.

non capisco

Really, really impressed by this on first listen. I can well see this being my default 'winter' iPod album for the next few months. Hard to pick a highlight, really. I think 'Jigsaw..' and 'All I Need' are my standouts so far, but I get the feeling that may change after a few more listens.

They're back!

alan nagsworth

Nude, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi & All I Need are the highlights for me, three consecutively beautiful songs. I prefer the beautiful, melacholic side to Radiohead, even though their quirky electronic noodlings are utterly amazing.

Really not keen on 15 Step though, overall a poor track and so not a great choice for an opening track. I guess it's got the energy most opening tracks have though, subconsciously getting you involved, etc.

non capisco

Quote from: nagsworth on October 10, 2007, 06:21:46 PM
Really not keen on 15 Step though, overall a poor track

Oh, I love the bit in 15 Step where you hear that sample of what sounds like kids cheering and the bass line comes in. It works as a scene setter I think, certainly not the strongest on the album but there's a lot of nice stuff in there.

Paaaaul

I've listenened to it twice.
I'll post again if I change my mind, but for now my review is:-

Dull.

Marvin

15 Step is great, and absolutely storming live. That and Bodysnatchers are a big contrast but together make a really strong opening.

Only listening through for the second time now. Nude is just stunning, as is All I Need.

Marvin

alan nagsworth

Yorke is beatboxing on All I Need. Listen closely.

OMG THEYVE CONQUERED HIP HOP ASWELL

edit:

Quote from: Marvin on October 10, 2007, 06:33:27 PM
Faust Arp is so very Beatles isn't it?

Yeah, it instantly reminds me of a riff from White Album but I can't remember which. It's exactly the same bar for fuck's sake!

Marvin

It's part Dear Prudence, part Blackbird, part Elenour Rigby, with a bit of something else.

CaledonianGonzo

..without anything like their tunefulness.

Only a couple of listens seems too early to weigh in with opinions, positive or negative, but seeing all the positive reviews are coming in after half a day or so, there's no reason why a cursory inspection of 'In Rainbows' shouldn't lead me to become a voice of dissent. 

If this is still as popular with everyone in 6 months I'd be surprised.  Sounds like 'Hail To The Thief' Part II to me.

At the risk of provoking a slew of 'Fuck off's, this pretty much seems a continuation of the slew of nothing-special albums Radiohead have released in recent years, beginning with Kid A.

I really tried with 'Hail To The Thief' and 'Amnesiac', and before that with 'Kid A', but I just ain't a fan of minimalist, cryptic, scratchy Radiohead, with their glitchy beats and their tunes deficit.

Pseudopath

Quote from: nagsworth on October 10, 2007, 06:34:00 PM
OMG THEYVE CONQUERED HIP HOP ASWELL

They already did that at the end of Optimistic on Kid A.

Quote from: nagsworth on October 10, 2007, 06:34:00 PM

Yeah, it instantly reminds me of a riff from White Album but I can't remember which. It's exactly the same bar for fuck's sake!

I'm thinking Julia?

Marvin

The thing is, I don't think Hail to the Theif is a bad album at all - it's by no means their best but it's still bloody good in places, and on a cursory inspection this is stronger, but even if it was 'no better' than HTTT that wouldn't be a bad album for me, and you are terribly wrong about Kid A/Amnesiac.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 10, 2007, 06:47:09 PM
..without anything like their tunefulness.

Only a couple of listens seems too early to weigh in with opinions, positive or negative, but seeing all the positive reviews are coming in after half a day or so, there's no reason why a cursory inspection of 'In Rainbows' shouldn't lead me to become a voice of dissent. 

If this is still as popular with everyone in 6 months I'd be surprised.  Sounds like 'Hail To The Thief' Part II to me.

At the risk of provoking a slew of 'Fuck off's, this pretty much seems a continuation of the slew of nothing-special albums Radiohead have released in recent years, beginning with Kid A.

I really tried with 'Hail To The Thief' and 'Amnesiac', and before that with 'Kid A', but I just ain't a fan of minimalist, cryptic, scratchy Radiohead, with their glitchy beats and their tunes deficit.

Fuck off! ;)