Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: RADIOHEAD: IN RAINBOWS: OCTOBER 10

Started by actwithoutwords, October 01, 2007, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

Of course, the Smashing Pumpkins put Machina II out on the internet for free and made no profit at all.

I don't this will prove to be a viable business model for bands who don't have Radiohead's fanbase. They're in a place where they've got their studios sorted and can make an album for fuck-all, and they simply don't need anyone to do promotion. If Radiohead put a message on their website it's picked up by every music site and relayed around the world within hours. So it makes sense for them...I suppose the interesting thing would be if other similarly successful bands would do it, but to be honest there aren't a great many bands who have that kind of critical and commercial bedrock to build on who might be inclined to do it.

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 01, 2007, 02:38:36 PMIf more established bands start doing things like this then it's only a matter of time before all record companies die forever, and music will only be available directly from the artists. Viva la revolution! etc.

I wonder how wise that is. Personally, I'm a dedicated follower of indie ethics; I'm just about to put out my 23rd album over the internet, once again completely for free and running at a loss, printing, pressing and posting everything at my own expense. I can do that because it's a hobby and I have fuck-all listeners, it's just a labour of love. For a band who have ambitions to reach real numbers...my worry is this: do we want bands who are promotion-savvy? I'm not sure I want bands who are expert self-promoters and marketers. Labels also usually fund the recording process; without that, might we not be relying on bands who are also good sound engineers and producers who understand the boring technicalities of recording music?

I mean, I don't give a shit about the majors, but there are record labels I care about, labels I think are doing something useful and aren't necessarily evil, and I'm not sure I want the whole industry to come crashing down leaving every band desperately whoring themselves on myspace and filling your inbox with self-promoting spam.

drberbatov

I think its a nice idea from Radiohead who have always been a forward thinking band (apart from their early haircuts) and in many ways its another symbolic nail in the coffin for the 'music industry'. For me the only negative of the digital age is that there is TOO MUCH choice so its harder to soak in good albums as you are being bombarded by new music as well as the discovery of old acts but I guess this is a good problem to have

thugler

Quote from: drberbatov on October 01, 2007, 05:32:03 PMits another symbolic nail in the coffin for the 'music industry'

Yeah! Fight the power radiohead. It's not like any bands who aren't huge could do this.

Charging 40 quid is a rip off, few bands could get away with that.

alan nagsworth

The fact that they have an obsessive fanbase who wank over posh special-edition boxes, coupled with the fact that they obviously don't care about losing out on a profit, means that this will inevitably work out sweet for Radiohead. They put the option of a free album out because they either don't need the money, or are interested in making a statement. Either way I won't pay fuck all for this album, just like I haven't paid for the last 300 albums I downloaded recently.

Also, re: inrainbows.com, creating a website for just an album is pollution of webspace and Yorke is a filthy polluter hypocrite die thom lol

Seriously though, I'm quite excited about this.

Just ordered my Disc Box, no conformation email though, would Google mail filter this out? I am excited about this, even though I've heard most of the tracks live. There sneaky fuckers they is!

chocky909

Quote from: thugler on October 01, 2007, 05:47:40 PM
Charging 40 quid is a rip off, few bands could get away with that.

They're not 'charging' £40. You can either download the album free (ish) or wait for the standard release in the new year. The £40 set is for fans who want to pay for something physical and I'm sure the package will be worth it.

Quote from: thugler on October 01, 2007, 05:47:40 PM
Yeah! Fight the power radiohead. It's not like any bands who aren't huge could do this.

What's your point? If you're going to sneer, at least back it up with some decent arguments.

Quote from: nagsworth on October 01, 2007, 05:50:26 PMAlso, re: inrainbows.com, creating a website for just an album is pollution of webspace and Yorke is a filthy polluter hypocrite die thom lol

Yes, those websites take thousands of years to bio-degrade. It's a fucking disgrace.

Quote from: chocky909 on October 01, 2007, 05:58:19 PM
They're not 'charging' £40. You can either download the album free (ish) or wait for the standard release in the new year. The £40 set is for fans who want to pay for something physical and I'm sure the package will be worth it.

Does it actually say for sure somewhere that there will be a "standard" release sometime in the new year? I certainly hope so. I can't be the only one who just wants a bog standard CD (with the extra cd of course), I ain't shellin out 40 quid for the fancy stuff, and the download release doesn't include the tracks from the second cd right?

QuoteAlbum Name: In Rainbows
Available In: Download or Discbox
Release Date: Download: October 10 Discbox: December 3
Prices: Download: Whatever you want it to be Discbox: £40 (roughly $80)
Tracklisting:
CD 1: (digital download and discbox)

15 STEP
BODYSNATCHERS
NUDE
WEIRD FISHES/ARPEGGI
ALL I NEED
FAUST ARP
RECKONER
HOUSE OF CARDS
JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE
VIDEOTAPE

CD 2: (discbox only)

MK 1
DOWN IS THE NEW UP
GO SLOWLY
MK 2
LAST FLOWERS
UP ON THE LADDER
BANGERS AND MASH
4 MINUTE WARNING

Questions:

1. Okay, so... what's going on?

Radiohead has announced their new CD -- In Rainbows. Using an innovative release method, you are able to purchase it either as a digital download, or as a huge discbox containing tons of goodies. (more on that later) The digital download will be released on October 10 -- earlier than the discbox, which is set for release on December 3. The wait is worth it, however, as this discbox contains an extra disc that contains even more new songs.

2. Is this legit?
The site has been posted on DAS, official W.A.S.T.E. servers are being used, and the official W.A.S.T.E. e-mail address is being used to send out confirmation e-mails. All signs point to this definitely being legit.

3. What is...

Faust Arp? No idea. It's all speculation at this point.

Jigsaw Falling into Place? Open Pick. The name is taken from one of the lines of the song.

MK 1 + 2? No idea. They're assumed to be short instrumental interludes, but again, it's all speculation at this point.

4. What is contained within the discbox?

(Taken from inrainbows.com)

THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD
AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.
A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.
THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

THE ALBUM DOWNLOAD AUTOMATICALLY COMES WITH THIS PACK.

Basically, you get a lot of cool shit and the album download when it releases on October 10.

5. Help! It's not letting me place any of the items in the basket!

That's not a question, but clear your browser's cookies and try ordering them again.

6. Help! I'm having issues with my W.A.S.T.E. account.

Reports are saying that you need to register a NEW W.A.S.T.E. ACCOUNT in order to purchase these materials. Once again, YOU MUST REGISTER A NEW W.A.S.T.E. ACCOUNT. Old W.A.S.T.E. accounts will produce a myriad of different error messages when attempting to purchase one of the materials.

7. So, wait, what's happening on October 10?

Some time around October 10, if you pre-ordered the digital download, W.A.S.T.E. will send you an e-mail with a download code. This download code, when redeemed (on October 10, no earlier) will allow you to download In Rainbows. That's all. The CD will not be released anywhere else. It will not be in stores. It will not be delivered to your doorstep. It will be online and online only.

8. All right, cool. What's happening on December 3?

December 3 is when the discboxes get sent out. YOU WILL NOT BE RECEIVING YOUR DISCBOX ON DECEMBER 3. THIS IS SIMPLY WHEN THEY ARE BEING SENT OUT. You will get an e-mail from W.A.S.T.E. detailing how long it should take to receive your package, but don't worry, because you'll already have the free digital download packaged in with the purchase.

9. Does this mean Radiohead has a record label now?

It's unknown at the moment.

10. Will this be sold in stores?

11. Is there any way to buy the discbox without certain elements (i.e. vinyl, hardcover book, etc.) in order to reduce the cost?

12. Is this a double album, or a Kid A/Amnesiac type deal?

This is also unknown, and there are evidences supporting both sides. The fact that the releases are staggered and the second CD is only included in the discbox seems to point to the fact that disc 2 is the Amnesiac to In Rainbows' Kid A. However, the fact that both CDs fall under the In Rainbows name makes it look like it's a double album. Again, this is unknown and purely speculation at this time.

13. Up on the Ladder? Where the hell did that come from?

Shut up.

14. Is there any way to see a better picture of the album cover?

Not at the moment, sorry. But sit tight! More details should be revealed soon.

15. Hey! Why does radioheadlp7.com redirect to inrainbows.com?

An explanation is still pending. Most plausible theory at the moment is that radioheadlp7.com was, for legal reasons, turned into a redirect to inrainbows.com. Having a trademark you do not own in the URL to your website more often than not results in a nasty cease-and-desist notice from the rightful owners of that trademark. Why? Well, the reason is that, to your average Joe, radioheadlp7.com may appear to be an actual Radiohead-affiliated site. This type of confusion can be harmful to any type of business, and as such is prevented.

16. Psst... hey... when's this thing gonna leak?

Probably never -- at least, not in the whole "splurged onto the internet before its release" sense of the word. At the moment, Radiohead and the people close to them are most likely the only people that have a copy of the recording. Radiohead hates leaks because it ruins their ability to surprise the public with their artistic work, and this method of release allows them to be in control of that. This method of release pretty much ensures that there will not be a leak. It's genius, if I do say so myself. Of course, if you're so stingy that you can't even pay zero quid (you can input zero in the price field) then I suppose you can always wait and download it illegally. But you wouldn't do that, right?

17. I haven't received my confirmation e-mail yet. What's going on?

Inrainbows.com's servers are being hammered at the moment, and as such there will naturally be a delay in system processes. Don't fret, though -- if your e-mail hasn't arrived yet, it should. If it's been 24 hours and you've still got no confirmation e-mail, talk to W.A.S.T.E. support and see if they can help you out.
Last edited by Unheard_of : 09-30-2007 at 10:17 PM.

http://www.mortigitempo.com/too_bored/showthread.php?t=65202

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Regular Chicken on October 01, 2007, 06:13:26 PM
Does it actually say for sure somewhere that there will be a "standard" release sometime in the new year? I certainly hope so. I can't be the only one who just wants a bog standard CD (with the extra cd of course), I ain't shellin out 40 quid for the fancy stuff, and the download release doesn't include the tracks from the second cd right?

Yeah, it seems like CD2 is a Discbox exclusive.

There's nowt official on the website, but some of the wording seems to indicate that In Rainbows will be available in other forms eventually, eg "So far it's only available from this website"

I'd not bet on it yet though.

Anon

Well, that's my plans for the 11th sorted.  Damn, I am grinning like a madman after reading that.

chocky909

Quote from: Regular Chicken on October 01, 2007, 06:13:26 PM

No, but the website alludes strongly to it with it's "only available here for now" phrasing. Most people guess there'll be a standard release (whether this includes the second disc remains to be seen) shortly after the discboxes are sent out. So January 2008. Nothing official from Radiohead though. Apparantly they've been talking to record labels so this may be through one of 'em. Maybe a standalone vinyl release too. Anyway, the second disc will probably leak before the December release date and definately within hours of them being sent out.

I need to calm down. The ten days is really going to drag.

EDIT The cover to the standard CD version has been leaked...

It's got to be said, this is a bold and welcome move. Yeah, we can be all cynical about it and say they've made so money anyway- but then you look at other, even more successful bands who wouldn't even dream of doing something like this (U2? REM?). I hope this all works out for them. If I have one reservation, it's that it would be nice to hear a track or two beforehand, or some clips; I'd hate to pay £10 and for the album to be a bit shit, and similarly I'd hate to pay nothing and find out it's better than OKC. Still, I guess that's what the Discbox is for; if I'm being honest I'll probably pay nothing for the download and fork out for the Discbox if the music is any good. Well done those Radiohead lads. October 10th can't come soon enough.

weekender

Absolutely fascinating.  In view of the fact that it's Radiohead, who have produced some of the most outstanding music I've ever heard, I'm willing to pay the £40, as they have my trust.

To fuck with the medium further, perhaps they could release blank CDs with the Discbox so you have to burn the album yourself.  That would be truly internet only, although perhaps a step too far.

threeism

So you get but half the songs for whatever you want to pay but have to  shell out £40 to hear the rest of them (plus big thick vinyl records and a book).
Isn't there something wrong with this? Wouldn't Radiohead fans want to have all the songs and so end up having to pay £40?

Cack Hen

No, you get the whole album in the download. The other bits and pieces in the £40 set are just extras.

Quote12. Is this a double album, or a Kid A/Amnesiac type deal?

This is also unknown, and there are evidences supporting both sides. The fact that the releases are staggered and the second CD is only included in the discbox seems to point to the fact that disc 2 is the Amnesiac to In Rainbows' Kid A. However, the fact that both CDs fall under the In Rainbows name makes it look like it's a double album. Again, this is unknown and purely speculation at this time.

Looks like the extra songs will only be available from the discbox set. Course, it'll all be leaked soon anyways.

Little Hoover

Yeah I have no interest in the Vinyls, if it was £20 for the the album and the extra c.d, I'd probably get that, as it is I'll probably pay a reasonable fee for the download, and then get the extra tracks free somewhere.

Also my amp broke down yesterday, So I don't have a proper means for playing C.D's.

How many people are going to pay an odd fee like £7.23 ?

chocky909

Quote from: Cack Hen on October 01, 2007, 08:04:30 PM
No, you get the whole album in the download. The other bits and pieces in the £40 set are just extras.

I'm sure the download is only the first CD/10 songs.

Quote from: www.inrainbows.comDOWNLOAD
THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS.

IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE EXTRA MATERIAL CONTAINED IN THE DISCBOX.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE FILE DIGITALLY FROM THE 10th OCTOBER 2007.

YOUR PURCHASE MAY BE SUBJECT TO A TRANSACTION FEE.
THIS WILL BE SHOWN AT THE CHECKOUT

Oh and a rainbow has seven colours and this is the 7th studio album. Wow.

weekender

The second CD, which might be available in the box set only, is presumably going to be leaked when the box set is released.

Hypothetically, if Radiohead have signed everyone up to the box set by email only, they can presumably have some sort of log of email/ip addresses and could potentially roughly trace where the leak comes from?

chand

Quote from: threeism on October 01, 2007, 08:00:17 PM
So you get but half the songs for whatever you want to pay but have to  shell out £40 to hear the rest of them (plus big thick vinyl records and a book).
Isn't there something wrong with this? Wouldn't Radiohead fans want to have all the songs and so end up having to pay £40?

Yeah, that certainly takes the edge off the fucking-with-the-industry thing a little; if you want the other 8 songs you've gotta stump up the £40. That's sort of too many songs to miss out on, but also too few to pay £40 for. I'm sure the box will be great, but I'm wondering how great exactly for £40. Merzbow's ludicrous heavyweight marble case for 'Metamorphism' was less than £30.

Evidently it's not a bad business move, judging by the amount of folks willing to pay £40, heck, even I'm thinking seriously about it despite my largely negative posts, primarily because it's fucking Radiohead and Radiohead are amazing.

ziggy starbucks

its also a bit cheeky to take the £40 now in october then post the box sets out in december

normally you only pay when its been dispatched

t_kingpin

What wonderfull news. I'm a HUGE Radiohead fan.
Download: Pre-ordered. (£5, token gesture)
Discbox: Pre-ordered. (I've ordered 3 of these) One to keep and play, the other 2 to sell on bay in 10Yrs time or so, in mint condition.

Edit: to add the comment of £5 token gesture.

Little Hoover

I wish I could send a message detailing, why I've choosen to pay the price I pay.

t_kingpin

Quote from: Little Hoover on October 01, 2007, 09:06:21 PM
I wish I could send a message detailing, why I've choosen to pay the price I pay.

How much?

Peking O

If I put a minus figure in the box will they send me a load of cash?

ziggy starbucks

If I ever have £40 again then I'll buy the box set, it looks great

although the curb crawlers are pretty tight with their cash around where I live (less tight with their spunk though)

chocky909

Quote from: t_kingpin on October 01, 2007, 09:05:15 PM(I've ordered 3 of these) One to keep and play, the other 2 to sell on bay in 10Yrs time or so, in mint condition.

A perk of having a 'bloody good job' I suppose. I've ordered one but may order another one for 'preciousness' next month. I'm skint now. Hopefully they'll be nicely sealed to preserve them and prove they're unopened. I wonder if they'll give an end date for accepting pre orders or just stop without warning.

t_kingpin

Quote from: chocky909 on October 01, 2007, 09:33:43 PM
A perk of having a 'bloody good job' I suppose. I've ordered one but may order another one for 'preciousness' next month. I'm skint now. Hopefully they'll be nicely sealed to preserve them and prove they're unopened. I wonder if they'll give an end date for accepting pre orders or just stop without warning.

I suspect they (the box sets) will only be available for a limited time. Being as their is vinyl to be pressed and book/lettes to be published they cannot keep this open-ended.