Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: RADIOHEAD: IN RAINBOWS: OCTOBER 10

Started by actwithoutwords, October 01, 2007, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah they do seem a bit greedy for the funds. Surely they don't need any new money now, they must be properly loaded. Despite what I said above they should be making their money now from best-ofs, for the unworthy, and rewarding their loyal fans with free music, esp since they're going off the boil in their old age. Well In Rainbows was utterly brilliant and better than HTTT, but lets face it they're not up to their prior form.

Program called Scotch Mist on a couple nights ago, think it may be a repeat I can't tell, supposedly to celebrate the release of In Rainbows on disc.

Its just a like a filmed studio performance, no audience. Few things come to mind.

Thom should not let his hair get long.
It must take a lot of takes to get his singing as good as it is on the albums these days, on live performances he's all over the place tuning-wise.
Poor Ed, he must get so bored never doing anything.

Pseudopath

Quote from: its not cool to be weird on April 04, 2008, 03:04:17 PM
Program called Scotch Mist on a couple nights ago, think it may be a repeat I can't tell, supposedly to celebrate the release of In Rainbows on disc.

That was the name of the webcast they made with Adam Buxton on New Year's Eve. You can watch it in full here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukythkK4EPQ

QuoteIt must take a lot of takes to get his singing as good as it is on the albums these days, on live performances he's all over the place tuning-wise.

I think it's a bit of a hangover from the Kid A/Amnesiac era when he kept saying that his voice was just another instrument and it didn't matter if he just sang gibberish. Ever since then his live vocals have been a little sloppy, but considering how old they're getting it's hardly surprising.

weekender

Although I think it's a strange decision overall to sell the 'stems', I have to say that the 'Dreamtrak mix' on that Radiohead site seems quite good.

I'll give Muteki (is he still around?) £10 in hard cash if he can make a Nude remix with the Question of Sport theme melded into it.

Vitalstatistix

Anyone heard any good remixes yet then?

The one on here is probably the best one I've heard so far:

http://www.myspace.com/adamtaylor84

boki

QuoteTag limit per topic exceeded.
Bum.

[tag]stem-sell plans cause controversy[/tag]

chocky909

Does anybody know if there will be more than one support act for the tour? Doors open for the Glasgow Green show at 4pm, but only Bat for lashes has been announced.

chocky909

DiS apparantly said it was Modeselektor. I have no idea if this is confirmed or not. Is Bat For Lashes definately going to be on of the supports then? Where was it officially announced?

actwithoutwords

That's just reminded me to listen to Modeselektor, which I've been meaning to do for a good 6 months now. Happy Birthday! is fucking great! And Yorkey-boy's track on it is excellent too. Odd appearance of "the stars are out" in the lyrics though. A bit Coldplayish Thom no?

Marvin

Modeselektor are only confirmed as support for Berlin, Bat for Lashes are confirmed for all other dates - this is according their own websites.

Vitalstatistix

Not too enamoured with the latest Modeselektor album, it's very patchy. For some reason Thom seems to love them big time though. I'll be at the Berlin gig so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, though I'd prefer to see Bat for Lashes or Liars.

El Unicornio, mang

Saw the band last night in Tampa. They were fantastic. We were on a hill far back from the stage but the sound was still great and they had a cool light show going on. They played a good mix of stuff, although only two from The Bends ('Just', and 'The Bends' as a second encore, the highlight for me) nothing from the first album. Thom's voice was amazing throughout. Surprised not to hear 'Paranoid Android', 'Street Spirit' or 'Fake Plastic Trees', mind.

I made a vid of one of their songs (off In Rainbows, can't remember the name of it), can't see much but the sound is decent.

Clicky

El Unicornio, mang

Setlist:

1.   All I Need
        2.   There There
        3.   Lucky
        4.   Bangers and Mash
        5.   15 Step
        6.   Nude
        7.   Pyramid Song
        8.   Optimistic
        9.   Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
        10.   National Anthem
        11.   Idioteque
        12.   You And Whose Army?
        13.   Reckoner
        14.   Everything In Its Right Place
        15.   Airbag
        16.   Bodysnatchers
        17.   Videotape

18.   The Gloaming
        19.   The Tourist
        20.   Just
        21.   Faust Arp
        22.   Exit Music (for a film)

23.   The Bends
        24.   House of Cards

samadriel

Youtube informs me, to my great disappointment, that Radiohead have not covered Chas & Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgjd8UNhMtk&feature=related

non capisco

Cheers for that setlist, Unicornio. I hope they play 'Bangers and Mash' at Victoria Park. I think I might embarrass myself during 'Reckoner' by bawling like an infant. That song reduced me to tears recently when I listened to it the morning after a heavy night out, god knows what the effect of hearing it live will be.

chocky909

Anyone recieved their tickets for the Victoria Park gigs yet? I haven't and I'm getting nervous.

non capisco

No, I've not got mine through, but then no-one else I know who's going has either so I'm not panicking just yet. This week I'd imagine. Did you order yours through W.A.S.T.E, Chocky?

chocky909

Yup. On the morning they were first released. That's a relief although I didn't really think they had been sent out yet just from looking on eBay. I needed to check though, thanks.

All Surrogate

Quote from: non capisco on June 08, 2008, 08:30:53 PMI think I might embarrass myself during 'Reckoner' by bawling like an infant.
It's got a power, that song.  Not got my ticket yet (for Tuesday); ordered through seetickets.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: All Surrogate on June 08, 2008, 10:16:29 PM
It's got a power, that song.

It creeps up on you, too. Starts off normally, but by the time it reaches the 'Ripples on a Blank Shore/In Rainbows' moment, it's got you.

To join in with everyone else: I've not got my tickets either.

Anon

Yeah, I got tickets for the 25th from Seetickets, and there's been no sign of them so far.  Suppose it's not too big a problem for me yet (the people I was going with have had to drop out, so I'm having to try and arrange something else), but if they're not here by next week I probably will start getting a little nervous...

non capisco

Just got an e-mail confirmation from w.a.s.t.e that my tickets have been despatched.

Canted_Angle

I ordered my tickets from 'stargreen' (I think) and I remember getting an email stating that they will arrive ten days before the concert, however I got on friday confirming my delivery address and the wonderful woman told me my tickets were being dispatched then. Either way I'm not going to sweat until it gets to ten days before and the tickets haven't arrived.

chocky909

Yeah, got my tickets for the 25th today and my ones for the 24th came yesterday but I wasn't in so I'll have to get get them redelivered. Luckily it's securemail who redeliver on Saturdays and also (hopefully) my work address which is a hospital and most couriers won't go near.

4pm gates apparantly. I really want to get there early and get near the front on at least one of the days and I definately want to be somewhere near the front both days. Anyone up for joining me because I'm going alone as usual and will probably get quite bored reading a book for 3 or whatever hours?

actwithoutwords

For anyone who hasn't seen this on deadairspace, this probably deserves its own HOLY FUCKING SHIT:
http://www.vimeo.com/1109226

Nude remixed on old computer parts. Just brilliant.

In other news I was at both Dublin dates over the weekend. A bit middling unfortunately. The performances were both good, but very low key. They only played 2 songs each from The Bends and OKC, which was incredibly disappointing. They are clearly very sick of those songs. The other annoying thing was the lack of anything interesting at either of the gigs. They played a completely new song called Super Collider, which, fair enough, was very exciting. But otherwise, there were no curveballs whatsoever, no rarely played live songs, no new arrangements of anything. The In Rainbows stuff translates to the live setting more directly than most of the post OKC material, but that makes the new songs so much less interesting to see live, compared to what they did to Everything in its Right Place, Kid A, The Gloaming or even Idioteque.
The light show is fucking incredible though... for the whole 4 songs where it was dark enough to appreciate. The impact of the brightness can't be overestimated, the gig didn't feel like it really got going until the middle of the first encore both nights.
In summary, good gigs, but not great ones, and my two least favourite Radiohead performances I have attended. Hopefully, they will get better as the tour progresses.
I'm not now going to the London date anymore as I can't get time off work. I have to get my flatmates at my English address to be in the house when they are delivered, and then send them on to other friends of mine, and in the meantime have to sell 2 of them and somehow get the tickets to whoever buys. Urgh.