Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: RADIOHEAD: IN RAINBOWS: OCTOBER 10

Started by actwithoutwords, October 01, 2007, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Quote from: actwithoutwords on June 12, 2008, 02:04:20 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen this on deadairspace,

or earlier in the thread ON THIS PAGE where I posted it.

EDIT

Oh you new page bastard, how you utterly mock and ridicule me when I try and be clever.

Radiohead.

Quote from: weekender on June 12, 2008, 05:55:45 PM

Or in the YouTube thread where I POSTED IT FIRST.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: weekender on June 12, 2008, 05:55:45 PM

EDIT

Oh you new page bastard, how you utterly mock and ridicule me when I try and be clever.

Radiohead.

Ah shite. You clearly have gone back and inserted your post after I did mine. No way was that there earlier when I checked. NO FUCKING WAY.

Let's put this behind us and move on. Has anyone heard you can download their new album 'The Rainbow' for whatever price you choose? Madness. I can't believe no-one has mentioned this yet.

CaledonianGonzo

Coo.. buyers market on eBay for the not-sold-out Glasgow gig.  Just decided to treat myself to a Friday night out, and managed to secure a ticket for just over a tenner.  Not too shabby. 

So - my first 'head gig in close to a decade awaits..

j_u_d_a_s

Just got back from being a till monkey at the bar in Victoria park! My entire body is screaming from you beer guzzling fiends demands.

non capisco

Well, if you're still working there tomorrow night, j_u_d_a_s, there'll be one less person troubling you as I'm absolutely skint.

Tonight's setlist by all accounts
Spoiler alert
01 15 Step
02 Bodysnatchers
03 All I Need
04 The National Anthem
05 Pyramid Song
06 Nude
07 Arpeggi
08 The Gloaming
09 Dollars and Cents
10 Faust Arp
11 There There
12 Just
13 Climbing Up The Walls
14 Reckoner
15 Everything In Its Right Place
16 How To Dissappear Completely
17 Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Encore 1:

18 Videotape
19 Airbag
20 Bangers 'n Mash
21 Planet Telex
22 The Tourist

Encore 2:

23 Cymbal Rush
24 You And Whose Army?
25 Idioteque
[close]

Where's 'House Of Cards', you gits?

actwithoutwords

Fucksticks. They played The Tourist. THE HUMANITY.

chocky909

Despite being on my own... I enjoyed that. Great lightshow. Great setlist, I'll take Jigsaw over Cards any day. Absolute chaos leaving the park and at the underground station but it all worked out. I'm going tomorrow again and I think I might get there a little earlier and get a bit closer because where I was was lacking in atmosphere especially at the start. Not a big fan of these massive gigs but I suppose it's the only way for a band of Radiohead's size.

I was severely pissed off for the first few songs though due to about 20 people charging through the crowd at full speed to get to the front just as the first song started, pushing people out of the way. The people behind the leader were pretending it was a conga line or something, very odd. Is this a new tactic for latecomers in big crowds? I'm taking my gun tomorrow in case they try it again.

Anyway, highlights mainly came in the second half because the atmosphere took a while to build and they seemed a little stiff. The Gloaming was excellent as was Climbing Up The Walls, How To Disappear and Jigsaw. Airbag would've been superb if not for the strange lack of lightshow. Planet Telex would've been nice if Thom hadn't slagged off the lyrics as being meaningless just before kicking it off. Cymbal Rush in the final encore was excellent and unexpected. You And Who's Army was done with a camera right in Thom's face and he did the whole thing pulling very funny faces. Idioteque was a good finish especially with the magnificent lightshow having full impact. Disappointed at no new song and Victoria Park has no house lights so noone left for ages thinking there'd be a third encore. There was booing after a while. They didn't even play music to let people know it was definately over. Anyway I'm just rambling.

At least they seem to have spent some of the extortionate ticket price on the lightshow...

All Surrogate

Quote from: non capisco on June 25, 2008, 12:13:27 AMTonight's setlist by all accounts
Spoiler alert
01 15 Step
02 Bodysnatchers
03 All I Need
04 The National Anthem
05 Pyramid Song
06 Nude
07 Arpeggi
08 The Gloaming
09 Dollars and Cents
10 Faust Arp
11 There There
12 Just
13 Climbing Up The Walls
14 Reckoner
15 Everything In Its Right Place
16 How To Dissappear Completely
17 Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Encore 1:

18 Videotape
19 Airbag
20 Bangers 'n Mash
21 Planet Telex
22 The Tourist

Encore 2:

23 Cymbal Rush
24 You And Whose Army?
25 Idioteque
[close]
Yep. They started at 20:30, first encore at 21:50, and second encore at 22:15.  Finished at 22:30.

Quote from: chocky909 on June 25, 2008, 01:16:09 AM
Despite being on my own... I enjoyed that.
I really should've had the wherewithal to meet up with you, but I was too busy getting into a mild panic about getting there myself.  I hope you have a good time tomorrow.

I really enjoyed it.  15 Step got me belting out lyrics straightaway, and the evening just got better and better.  The National Anthem, Pyramid Song and Nude - three beautiful songs.  Really good to hear The Gloaming, and to see Thom dancing to it.  Dollars And Cents is slyly relevant, and it's so nice to yell "We're gonna crack your little skulls!"  There There is a stonking tune, and then the crowd went wild for Just.  The trio of Reckoner, Everything In Its Right Place and How To Disappear Completely got me a bit emotional (HTDC always does).  Jigsaw Falling Into Place seemed to get everyone joining in.  Videotape managed to complete what Reckoner, EIIRP and HTDC started, and got me crying, and then straight in to those wonderful opening chords of Airbag.  Bangers N' Mash - great for a little jig, and then a couple of oldies.  Cymbal Rush took me by surprise, but the rhythm got me in the end.  You And Whose Army has always been a favourite of mine, and it was truly a pleasure to sing "We ride tonight \ Ghost horses!".  Idioteque is sensational, just an all-round great song, and live it's incredibly powerful.  A great way to close a great show.

Canted_Angle

I will not be disappointed if they play exactly the same set list tomorrow.

Perhaps this could have been better organised, was there with some friends but it was rather a small group all-told. The lighting was crazy but I was most impressed by the videos of the band members, three angles on each one and live video editing to quite a high standard. That must've been months in prep. Oh yeah and the songs were bloody marvellous. No Lucky though, tsk.

I take back all I said about Thom's voice earlier in this thread, he was on really good form. Particularly in the solo numbers.

mitzidog

Yayy - looks like a good set list even if they alter it a bit as they are playing two nights in the same town (still hoping for Paranoid Android but won't be too sad if it doesn't happen)

10.30 is a very civilised time to finish and it's sorta my neck of the woods so getting home won't be a problem.

hour and a half left at work then a nice evening out with friends.

chocky909

Wednesday's set:

Spoiler alert
01. Reckoner
02. 15 Step
03. There There
04. All I Need
05. Lucky
06. Nude
07. Wierd Fishees / Arpeggi
08. Myxomatosis
09. The National Anthem
10. Faust Arp
11. No Surprises
12. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
13. Optimistic
14. Videotape
15. Everything in its Right Place
16. Idioteque
17. Bodysnatchers

Encore 1

18. House of Cards
19. The Bends
20. Bangers 'n' Mash
21. My Iron Lung
22. Karma Police

Encore 2

23. Go Slowly
24. 2+2=5
25. Paranoid Android
[close]

I was so pleased to hear Go Slowly, Myxamatosis, Optimistic and My Iron Lung. Paranoid Android was a great finish too. It took ages to get dark though which meant the lights weren't used fully for most of the main set. I got right up front this time though so I had a better view of the lads and I'm all bruised and tired from all the shoving and bouncing. I think I'll probably miss the next Radiohead big tour, I think everyone singing and clapping along pisses me off too much. There were some massive cunts in the crowd. I so much wanted to tell them to shut up it was painful. The band seemed to play well but it was hard to hear them over the crowd singing all the words in a rugby style.

I hope everyone else who went had a great time and got home without too much trouble. The sight of however many thousands of people all surging through the streets of east London was something to be seen.

non capisco

Quote from: chocky909 on June 26, 2008, 12:58:56 AM
There were some massive cunts in the crowd.

There were indeed. All the way through 'Nude' these two pricks to the left of me were loudly discussing football tactics. The rest of the time they were gabbling to each other non-stop about every other thing under the sun, occasionally stopping to go "Man, I love Radiohead". If you love them so much why aren't you fucking listening to them?

I dunno, besides these prannets it only really gelled for me when it got darker, say by about 'Videotape'. Before that I felt there was a real lack of intimacy that you need with a band like that for the music to do what it should. Opening with 'Reckoner' in broad daylight seemed a bit of a waste, and they sounded bored as hell playing 'The Bends' and 'My Iron Lung'. Lots of the rest of it was lovely though. 2+2=5, Karma Police, Jigsaw, Paranoid Android and Weird Fishes were probably my highlights. Oh, and I'm glad Bangers And Mash and Go Slowly got an airing.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Man I'm drunk/tired/emotional. Radiohead were great.

j_u_d_a_s

My body is screaming again! You cunts wanted more sodding booze just as the tent was closing you fuckers! And it took me 2 hours to get home as well cos of you lot!

*ineffectually shakes fist at all of you*

...t'was an amazing gig what I saw of it though.

chocky909

Hey, I didn't drink a thing! Mind you, sounds like ETT more than made up for that.

All Surrogate

Quote from: chocky909 on June 26, 2008, 12:58:56 AMLucky ... Myxomatosis ... No Surprises ... Optimistic

Gnah

Quote from: chocky909 on June 26, 2008, 12:58:56 AMThe Bends ... My Iron Lung ... Karma Police

GNAH

Quote from: chocky909 on June 26, 2008, 12:58:56 AMGo Slowly ... 2+2=5 ... Paranoid Android

GNAH!!!!

Should've gone to both!

mitzidog

The only one from Tuesday I'd love to have seen was Pyramid Song, but exchanging it for Karma Police AND Paranoid Android was easily worth it.

I chose wisely.

How many people have 40,000 people to their stag night

lipsink

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on June 26, 2008, 02:41:44 AM
My body is screaming again! You cunts wanted more sodding booze just as the tent was closing you fuckers! And it took me 2 hours to get home as well cos of you lot!

*ineffectually shakes fist at all of you*

...t'was an amazing gig what I saw of it though.

Yeah but, tonight's gig took me 40 minutes to get to the bar and when i got my round i couldn't find my friends again! and i have  to work tomorrow at half 7.

Actually no, you win. I would hate to be working at one of those events.

Good gig though!

CaledonianGonzo

Not bad setlist from last night:

1.   15 Step 
        2.   Airbag 
        3.   There There 
        4.   All I Need 
        5.   Nude 
        6.   Weird Fishes/Arpeggi 
        7.   The Gloaming 
        8.   National Anthem 
        9.   Hunting Bears 
        10.   Faust Arp 
        11.   No Surprises 
        12.   Jigsaw Falling Into Place 
        13.   Reckoner 
        14.   Just 
        15.   Bangers and Mash 
        16.   Everything In Its Right Place 
        17.   Fake Plastic Trees 
        18.   Bodysnatchers 

19.   Videotape 
        20.   Paranoid Android 
        21.   Myxomatosis 
        22.   Optimistic 
        23.   Karma Police 

24.   Like Spinning Plates 
        25.   2+2=5 
        26.   Idioteque 

Bit of a strange atmosphere, though.  Noticeably more enthusiastic reception for the Bends/OK Computer material than the post-Kid A stuff, I thought.  Not bad for ten sheets, at any rate.

lipsink

Yeah, was great too when Thom commented on the rain: "You lot should move down south!" To which he got some big boos from the crowd.

Have to say I didn't really share the crowd's enthusiasm for 'Karma Police'. I'm so sick of that damn song. Is no-one else?

God, I was pissed. Met a pretty girl called Sarah who kept touching my bobble hat, but lost her. Ah well.

Was there any other bands on before Bats For Lashes?

CaledonianGonzo

No - she was the only support.  I decided not to show up till after 7 as the thought of standing in the rain for 3 hours watching an empty stage was too depressing to countenance.

Celebrity spot in the crowd - Glaswegian Hobbit-impersonator Billy Boyd.

Canted_Angle

Good review of the London gig in the observer this week. Having been to both of the gigs, I'd have to agree with what the writer says about MBVT.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/livereviews/story/0,,2288034,00.html

Vitalstatistix

Went to the Berlin gig on tuesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Wuhlheide stadium is fantastic, for such a big place it felt rather intimate wherever you were and the place is completely surrounded by a dense forest.

The weather was warm and wet, with odd dashes of sun. Modeselektor were very underwhelming, both visually and musically. Just didn't fit into the location or time of day, and I would have much preferred to see someone like Bat for Lashes or Liars. Why couldn't Radiohead get a few support bands and make a bit of a mini festival out of it I wonder?

'Head were great, maybe not as stunning as when I caught em a few years back in Nottingham, yet they still oozed quality and class. Lots of good tunes, obviously, but no Pyramid Song or Morning Bell :(

Going through the motions a little, perhaps, as there was little improvisation or crowd interaction (granted they don't speak German). The crowd were responsive and respectful, as every German was that we met all week.

On a side note, I highly recommend Berlin, lots to do and see (and eat).

chand

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on July 11, 2008, 02:38:23 PM
Lots of good tunes, obviously, but no Pyramid Song or Morning Bell :(

We got 'Pyramid Song' at Manchester and it were lovely. There were so many songs they did that came as pleasant surprises, ones where you go 'ah fuck yeah, I forgot about this one!'. Fake Plastic Trees, Just and Airbag among them (man, that opening to Airbag was a cool moment, they played it as the second song right after 15 Step and it really elicited a massive 'YES!' from the people around me when it kicked in). Most things I could have possibly imagined wanting to see them play were played, although I'd have been pretty much happy as long as they did Idioteque, which they did. They did Lucky for a third encore which no-one was expected, we nearly went thinking they'd finished!

Great gig though, they always sound so good live, and there were times when I was just thinking how odd it was to see certain of their songs being played to such a massive crowd. They really have such an enviable position of being able to play reasonably experimental songs to appreciative masses/

Vitalstatistix