Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hooray! Another adverts thread (good or bad)

Started by Pseudopath, October 04, 2007, 12:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

I think it's been a while since the last bunch of good/bad adverts threads, so I hope you don't mind me creating a new one. It's just that the following advert has been bothering me immensely:

http://www.visit4info.com/FLV_Player/flvplayer20060313b.swf?REF1=/337423TVC070914090827FLL.flv&REF2=l&BUFFER=15

Aside from the rather dodgy premise, there's something a little too real about the woman's reaction; the scream is absolutely blood-curdling, her eyes seem filled with real terror and, in classic public-information film style, the scene seems to linger for a couple of beats longer than required. Creepy.

It's part of MFI's current 'Feel at Home' campaign (by Saatchi & Saatchi, no less) which you probably remember from such charming skits as 'young couple having a near-violent row over the ironing before being interrupted by MFI salesperson' and 'old couple arguing whilst getting undressed for bed before being interrupted by MFI salesperson' (which are also viewable on www.visit4info.co.uk).

I thought adverts were supposed to be aspirational? Shiver.

Cue predictable 'well, it got you talking about it' response

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Analrapist

Whenever the one with the kid coming home late and receiving a bollocking from her mum comes on I always expect it to end with the NSPCC logo.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!!??! DRINKING?!?!?!! WITH YOUR BOYFRIEND!?!?!?!!!!"

Terrible, terrible adverts.

buttgammon

As somebody who currently has his foot on a semi-destroyed MFI bed I second that.
Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 04, 2007, 12:14:14 AM
MFI are cunts. Never buy anything from them.

As somebody who currently has his foot on a semi-destroyed MFI bed I second that.

Analrapist

Quote from: buttgammon on October 04, 2007, 12:15:46 AM

waspy's wife been round, has she?

buttgammon

Yeah, I tend to get a bit carried away when she calls.

I'm more restrained when I go back to hers - don't want him finding out do I?

_Hypnotoad_

Mobile phone adverts are fucking terrible as they have huuge budgets, and need to be all alternative and random to convince people they need to spend even more money on fucking phones

Anyway, theres one on at the moment where a guy keeps getting near to shagging someone he's got the hots for, and keeps teleporting to another place and time, something to do with his phone contract apparently

Well, he nearly goes insane from this, and its really quite disturbing when you first watch it

Cunts

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on October 04, 2007, 12:22:21 AM
Anyway, theres one on at the moment where a guy keeps getting near to shagging someone he's got the hots for, and keeps teleporting to another place and time, something to do with his phone contract apparently

Well, he nearly goes insane from this, and its really quite disturbing when you first watch it

Cunts

I always forget what that's for, purely because it looks so much like a PIF that the actual product never sticks in my mind. The same as that 'we're being wiped out!' advert from a few years back, which was for cleaning fluid or wipe-clean surfacing or something but was so much like an NSPCC ad that I couldn't remember the product.

Cack Hen

I know it's covered ground but bank adverts aimed at young people - URGH. It makes me feel physically sick. I hate how they think they can appeal to students by attempting to connect with them on an apathetic level by dismissing something that's "uncool". Then in all their brochures and leaflets there's pictures of baked beans on toast and language like "we know what you really want - cinema tickets!!" or "boredom sucks, we know". I hate the advert with the bank managers in boats being uncool by liking something ironically uncool which isn't cool anymore, because as much as they like to think they're in tune with da kidz by recognising their own position, it doesn't make it any less disgusting.

To be honest, I hate all adverts aimed at students. They always stink of ad-men trying their hardest to be funny and cool, but what irks me more is that I think a lot of that shit is actually appealing to students.

The Duck Man

Mmm, those Natwest with Kevin "Star Stories" Bishop are an awful knock-off of the already not-good Barclays Benton/Iannucci ones. It's all very well mocking bank policy - as in the Barclays ones, differents rates, bank charges etc. - but to imply that bankers close branches because they're a "paaaaaaain man" is just fucking daft. And all the while Kevin Bishop carps on as the voice of the customers, despite the fact that none of the sitations he reacts to are remotely realistic.

Know what ad fucks me off at the minute?

"What's different about Scandanavian design...maybe it's that it always has a purpose"
Eh, what? Everything that's designed has to have SOME kind of purpose.
"Ours is to perform."
Which is a slightly cooler way of saying "carry out said purpose." MAKE SENSE, CUNTS.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

alan nagsworth

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on October 04, 2007, 12:22:21 AM
Mobile phone adverts are fucking terrible as they have huuge budgets, and need to be all alternative and random to convince people they need to spend even more money on fucking phones

Cunts

I think this advert is an excellent premise for the message it promotes JUST before he says "buy phones contracts accessoriessss now!!" It's a great message; don't let your shitty mundane job/whatever become more important than the things you cherish. They should leave it at that, and let it be a landmark for people to advertise happiness and well-being, not just use a brilliant moral to plug a fucking phone. Anyone else feel the same as me about this?

Also, car adverts are the best in terms of creativity and innovation, but again they just use all that to plug something which is usually totally unrelated to the car, just to get your attention. Shame really.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: nagsworth on October 04, 2007, 04:18:01 AM
I think this advert is an excellent premise for the message it promotes JUST before he says "buy phones contracts accessoriessss now!!" It's a great message; don't let your shitty mundane job/whatever become more important than the things you cherish. They should leave it at that, and let it be a landmark for people to advertise happiness and well-being, not just use a brilliant moral to plug a fucking phone. Anyone else feel the same as me about this?

Yep, mobile phone ads have taken that approach over the last few years

There was an Orange one a year or so back which basically was telling everyone how amazing things happen when you turn your phone off

Like we needed telling

Well, some people do, the ones with their phones glued to their hips 24/7, but you know, normal people don't need to be told this

idunnosomename

Quote from: Cack Hen on October 04, 2007, 12:33:20 AM
I know it's covered ground but bank adverts aimed at young people - URGH. It makes me feel physically sick. I hate how they think they can appeal to students by attempting to connect with them on an apathetic level by dismissing something that's "uncool". Then in all their brochures and leaflets there's pictures of baked beans on toast and language like "we know what you really want - cinema tickets!!" or "boredom sucks, we know". I hate the advert with the bank managers in boats being uncool by liking something ironically uncool which isn't cool anymore, because as much as they like to think they're in tune with da kidz by recognising their own position, it doesn't make it any less disgusting.

To be honest, I hate all adverts aimed at students. They always stink of ad-men trying their hardest to be funny and cool, but what irks me more is that I think a lot of that shit is actually appealing to students.

Students are so happy to self indentify as students that they are an ad-man's dream and I don't blame them for exploiting it. How can students be offended by "...and then you can have more money for more important things... like BEER!" when most of them are happy to act that stereotype?

Not that students drink beer they just drink purple and green things or something I dont know bloody students

alan nagsworth

I keep my phone glued to my hip 24/7 because at the time I was wearing pocketless trousers and now I'm scared of tearing off skin when I attempt to remove it. Now, when I get a call I have to curl up into a ball and use good old loudspeaker.

Captain Crunch

The SMA one makes me feel so sick and blind with rage I have to turn over whenever it comes on. 

Blue Jam

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nW54YPfF7k[/youtube]

QuoteL. A Lamb fragrance by Gwen Stefani

Just saw this and I'm looking forward to a pork fragrance by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, a veal fragrance by Gordon Ramsay and a kebab fragrance by Jade Goody.

alex

Those wacky Germans have come up with a marketing triumph. Introducing the Black Bastard Energy Drink.

http://www.blackbastard.de/index.html

Chutney

The AA

"I've just renewed my car insurance, online!!!"

Is it any wonder her son is so uncommunicative with such a boring cunt for a mother?  And let's not even mention the fact that any motor insurance quote from the AA will always be at least £200 more than everyone else...

Don_Preston

It's Go Compare when that twat with the haircut says "Wanna get cheap cover? Follow me!" in the most unconvincingly excited way before walking into the PC screen, where his female friend explains all like "our unique 5 star rating system," with the bloke pointing upto it (a bit of rough guesswork like when Jim Bowen used to spell and point to the letters on Bullseye) as if the rating is so unique that no one recognises what 5 stars resemble.

Just insulting, hate-filling shite

Glebe

I can't fin that 'No rest for the wicked' Kit Kat commercial on YouTube. Best as ever.

The Duck Man

Quote from: Chutney on October 05, 2007, 03:49:22 PMIs it any wonder her son is so uncommunicative with such a boring cunt for a mother?  And let's not even mention the fact that any motor insurance quote from the AA will always be at least £200 more than everyone else...
Hey, have pity, he's a lazy fucker. She has to drive him when the distance between school and home is a mere 30 seconds.

Cack Hen

Has anyone seen that Dixons/Currys advert set in a futuristic, celestial-like warehouse with men in suits walking around boxes and screens that fly about in mid air? This super-bitch business woman walks up to her throne - and it is a throne - and says "I want to see prices so low you could see them in Australia" but she very much delivers the line in a sort of "I want to see my face in those shoes, slave" kind of way. There's a few exchanges about how low prices are and she ends on "if it's not the lowest price, *I* don't want to know about it" as she stares upwards authoritatively.

I think it's sexy...but...she's talking about sat-nav and iPods.

wherearethespoons

I don't know what the advert is for, because I can never focus. But I really fancy this woman from some advert or other - she's wearing a green top and a bowler hat (that's what sort of clinches it). Anyone know what the hell I am talking about?

boxofslice

Quote from: wherearethespoons on October 06, 2007, 12:14:14 PM
I don't know what the advert is for, because I can never focus. But I really fancy this woman from some advert or other - she's wearing a green top and a bowler hat (that's what sort of clinches it). Anyone know what the hell I am talking about?

I've seen that, it's for insurance or banking or something. She reminds me of Sarah Cawood.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: boxofslice on October 06, 2007, 12:20:53 PM
I've seen that, it's for insurance or banking or something. She reminds me of Sarah Cawood.

The stupid thing is I saw a cardboard cutout of her through a shop window last night but was too pissed to look at where I actually was. I'm going back for that fucker though.

boxofslice

Quote from: wherearethespoons on October 06, 2007, 12:22:19 PM
The stupid thing is I saw a cardboard cutout of her through a shop window last night but was too pissed to look at where I actually was. I'm going back for that fucker though.

Is it full size? If so get it and take a picture of you with your arm round her and post it on here.

Pseudopath

Quote from: boxofslice on October 06, 2007, 12:20:53 PM

She's the new face of Bradford & Bingley, replacing the Thompson Twins of old. There's loads of pictures of her on their web site if you're that way inclined.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 06, 2007, 12:31:37 PM
She's the new face of Bradford & Bingley, replacing the Thompson Twins of old. There's loads of pictures of her on their web site if you're that way inclined.

Ooh yeah. Cheers.

Taa taa forum.

The Duck Man

For people of a certain age: I reckon she may be the star of The Queen's Nose that ran on CBBC in the late nineties.

She was certainly in something CBBC-related.