Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hooray! Another adverts thread (good or bad)

Started by Pseudopath, October 04, 2007, 12:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 11, 2012, 01:39:02 PM
What the fuck was that? Seems like a bafflingly late attempt to get in on the whole cringe/awkward thing. Is the punchline genuinely just 'this guy's a bell-end and his brother's a bit embarrassed'?

And who would use that detergent now that you've associated it with that bell-end?

Cerys

Gulftastic

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on December 11, 2012, 01:40:12 PM
And who would use that detergent now that you've associated it with that bell-end?

Part of the 'appeal to bell-ends' type of advertising trend. See 'WKD' and 'Pepsi Max/Coke Zero'.

KLG-7B

There's a radio advert for a Kwik Fit light-changing service that lists all of the kinds of men (father, husband, etc.) that helpless ickle women can get to change their lights for them, before explaining that she can just go to Kwik Fit to get it done if those men aren't REAL MEN.

To put the icing on the cake, the advert tells us the name of this service: Wii Fit.

SteveDave

This video isn't very good quality & it misses off the 1st part but this song's been stuck in my head since I first saw it a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srg2zvbIMA8

It's not made me want to watch the programme though.

Icehaven

Quote from: SteveDave on December 11, 2012, 09:04:13 PM
This video isn't very good quality & it misses off the 1st part but this song's been stuck in my head since I first saw it a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srg2zvbIMA8

It's not made me want to watch the programme though.

I know!! '...win 25 graaaaaaand.''

Cerys

I have yelled 'fuck off and FUCK OFF!' at that advert many times.  Hopes for horrible lingering deaths have been hurled at the television.  Mums may have been mentioned.  Mums.

The Duck Man

Chalk me up as another one who's been singing the Tool Academy song.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on December 03, 2012, 01:09:26 PM
Tesco have a particularly cunty run of xmas ads at the moment, every one of them screams "LOOK! WE UNDERSTAND YOU NORMAL PEOPLE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkfq0jVAbE

If your life doesn't look like this, you're NOTHING

-edit- circa 13 seconds in "LOL! GRANDAD'S BEEN FOR A DUMP!"

I love that advert just for how perfect the dog is in it. Wagging tail, gleefully running into the dining room to beg for scraps. It's just perfect, especially when paired with the music which suggests an element of chaos caused by the dog being under the table.

DrGreggles

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 13, 2012, 11:57:27 PM
I love that advert just for how perfect the dog is in it. Wagging tail, gleefully running into the dining room to beg for scraps. It's just perfect, especially when paired with the music which suggests an element of chaos caused by the dog being under the table.

it's so twee!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 11, 2012, 08:02:04 PM
Part of the 'appeal to bell-ends' type of advertising trend. See 'WKD' and 'Pepsi Max/Coke Zero'.

I fucking hate those Pepsi adverts, with those preening arses pulling all manner of stunts. Then they have that little dance at the end where they look like they're tyring to hump each other. I really, really hate celebratory dancing.

Icehaven

Quote from: The Masked Unit on December 11, 2012, 10:08:59 AM
Good news everyone; scientists have finally found the world's most punchable cunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPsMfW1LO0E

We're watching Hot Tub Time Machine with the subtitles on, in which someone yelled 'Motherfucker!'' right before an ad break, and the subtitle duly sat there through every advert that followed, including this one, so the shirt-wearing prannet had a nice motherfucker! label under his sorry ass. Also pleasingly sullied were a McDonalds one, two Tescos, and the Post Office. Unfortunately the damn John Lewis snowmen didn't turn up.

BritishHobo

Subtle Mocking

They've generally not annoyed me that much up to now, the Tesco ads. Usually quite short and not particularly intrusive. But that above ad really reminds me of what I hate about Christmas, the 'forced jollity' of it all. The way in which people guilt-trip you into having fun, at the risk of spoiling it for everybody else. If he doesn't want to wear a stupid fucking hat, why should he have to?

BritishHobo

It's so awful and over-the-top that for a second there I genuinely believed it might end with the teenager grabbing a carving fork and thrusting it through somebody's fucking neck.

Christ, imagine spending Christmas with the people who thought that advert was not only not horrible and irritating, but an actual representation of the spirit of Christmas.

BlodwynPig

That happens to me every year - the one time I put it on, no-one cheered, no-one clapped, everyone went back to eating their turkey, blank faced and resolute. Never again!

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 17, 2012, 08:29:11 PM
That happens to me every year - the one time I put it on, no-one cheered, no-one clapped, everyone went back to eating their turkey, blank faced and resolute. Never again!

Pretty much. What difference does it make if I wear this flimsy bit of paper or not?

momatt

I don't think my comments on the Tesco ad are going to be approved.

BritishHobo

You'll wear your paper hat and you'll only make comments deemed appropriate by our magnificent supermarket overlords, you fucking prole.

Cerys

The secret is to 'accidentally' tear it when you put it on.  If anyone's obsessed enough to get some tape and mend it for you, they have won and you must don the paper hoop of ultimate rustly annoyance in recognition of their utter tastelessness.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cerys on December 17, 2012, 10:40:37 PM
The secret is to 'accidentally' tear it when you put it on.  If anyone's obsessed enough to get some tape and mend it for you, they have won and you must don the paper hoop of ultimate rustly annoyance in recognition of their utter tastelessness.

I always make sure I lean over the candle in the middle of the table while straining for the sprouts...whoooop, problem solved, and a nice scent of pork crackling in the air.

Cerys

Mmmmm, yummy.  Although I always found the scent of burning thumbnails more tempting.

The Duck Man

Crackers are the worst Christmas tradition. Annoying flimsy hat, bad joke that's supposed to be funny because it's ironic but isn't, crap gift destined to never looked at again once you get down from the table. Disposable in every sense. And for what purpose? A tiny bang.

Blumf

Even worse, when they don't even bang properly because the snapper bit wasn't glued on properly. Forced jollity cunt tubes!

George Oscar Bluth II

The Duck Man hates crackers because he always loses at them, and has the submit to the humiliation of being handed a spare one by someone who won twice, the loser.

KLG-7B

Quote from: The Duck Man on December 18, 2012, 01:00:54 AM
Crackers are the worst Christmas tradition. Annoying flimsy hat, bad joke that's supposed to be funny because it's ironic but isn't, crap gift destined to never looked at again once you get down from the table.
They're fun if you imagine the madness that went into producing them. If they don't pay somebody to write the jokes (and get them from a big book of royalty-free jokes instead), they at least pay somebody to choose the jokes and the gifts and just the general ensemble really, which is brilliant. Then, try to imagine the poshest cracker in the world. What the hell would that have inside of it? A lobster? Then think about the worst injury ever caused by a cracker, which is almost certainly a death that somebody still laughed about later on (because slapstick is slapstick).

Crackers are an endless source of brilliant things to think about, and that's the reason for my thousand mile stare at the dinner table.

BlodwynPig

QuoteAs families make their last-minute preparations, RoSPA warns:

• Twenty-seven people have died in the past 10 years from testing batteries on their tongue.
  • Every year there are a number of broken arms - from pulling Christmas crackers.
  • Two hundred will end up in hospital because they haven't removed all the pins from a new shirt.
  • There were 350 accidents last year involving fairy lights, including electric shocks and burns and falls while putting them up.
  • And Twenty-six  people have died watering Christmas trees with the lights on since 1997.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 17, 2012, 07:33:37 PM
It's so awful and over-the-top that for a second there I genuinely believed it might end with the teenager grabbing a carving fork and thrusting it through somebody's fucking neck.

Heh, me too

There's surely a one-off christmas advert send up show up for grabs here where we do a Harry Hill-esque cut at some point to an immaculately presented set with similar actors in similar clothes etc

In this one, the correct ending is of course him slitting his mothers throat, before calmly eating his dinner

Charlie Brooker is already on-board