Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iannucci Update - Help get the Armando Iannucci Shows released on DVD!

Started by Neil, February 04, 2004, 04:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Right, got an Iannucci round-up as promised, however bent halo has just made us aware of some news in the Comedy Chat forum which deserves to go on the front page.  The original discussion thread started by TJ can be found here, and here's the most important part:

Quote from: "bent halo"
Channel 4 hold the rights to the show, and VCI is the favoured distributor, but the exorbitant costs of the sourced music (chiefly modern orchestral music and Frank Sinatra's All Or Nothing At All) push the preferred sales to what is deemed an unrealistic level. I'm sure there are alternatives but knowing Iannucci's work, music is not just slapped in - it always has a function, and the impact of a sequence often relies on the specific mood it creates. It would be a shame to unpick that.

Whatever. The C4/VCI release appears to have fallen through due to a perceived lack of interest.

We know better. The unrepeated shows were perpetually available for download, we've had long threads about it in the past... but the powers that be seem to have witnessed none of this. Personally, I see this as a very disappointing situation. Putting my own interpretation on events, The Armando Iannucci Shows fall between two stools. It's a great show - probably the last exceptional new comedy produced in this country - but a leftfield one, which can't necessarily depend on a slavish vintage TV market, the yoof vote or your mother as a buyer. My impression of message board discussions in the last two and a half years is that it has quite a sincere following, and I'm sure all of us would like to see a full and untampered release with the swathes of unused material which exists. Yes?

Here's what you can do. My understanding of the situation is that VCI *can* be persuaded via a demonstration of public interest that a release is possible, but it's currently in limbo. AIS is at risk of being sidelined entirely and never seeing the light of day. Taking this on board, people should be writing to talkbackTHAMES, but more particularly Channel 4, and voicing an interest. Nothing too elaborate - I suspect it'll only be glanced at anyway - but just stating an interest in finding out why it's not available to buy. Oh, and keep it polite, otherwise it'll go straight in the bin. It'll take minutes if you keep it simple.

Write to:

Paul Sowerbutts
4 Ventures
124 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 2TX.

Here he is: http://www.channel4.co.uk/4ventures/about/bio-paul-sowerbutts.html

Alternatively, or even in addition, you can make your feelings known with the original production company, talkbackTHAMES:

Alex Mahon
talkbackTHAMES
20-21 Newman Street
London
W1T 1PG

If people want to post this message on other boards, they're more than welcome. I'm sure there are enough people out there who give a sufficient toss. People often - rightly - complain that DVD companies are faceless and never leave a forwarding address. Here's a chance to make your feelings known, if indeed you care about this particular show. I'm often cynical about the idea of letter writing campaigns, but I'm assured that this particular one could have a very positive effect.

Although there have been reports that a DVD release was assured, you can see from the above that that is now not the case.  It's vitally important that you all write a letter to Paul Sowerbutts at Channel 4.  Don't just send an email either, they are too easily ignored!  You need to get it down in writing so there is palpable support for the show, that's the only way they will become available on DVD.  As TJ points out in that thread, they have been massively popular on here over the last couple of years and it's incredible to think they may not get a release at all, especially considering some of the crap that's out there. Please set a couple of minutes aside to help ensure that one of the best British comedies of recent years gets a DVD release, we need more intelligent comedy available to buy.

To be honest, I'm usually as sceptical about the effectiveness of letter-writing campaigns as bent halo is.  In the past we've discussed setting up similar schemes to try and get The Chris Morris Music Shows released, but figured there wasn't much point.  With the Iannucci shows however, this isn't the case, we know for a fact that if you lot show some support, they will get released.

To finish off the Iannucci news we've got some more new files for you!  Steve Bass2rez has kindly provided an upgrade of the "Museum Of Lost Keyboards" show which went out on Radio 3 just before Xmas.  It sounds much better than the one I did so it's well worth grabbing if you're on broadband!  Steve also supplied a high-quality mp3 of the latest Iannucci R3 show, "Mobile Phones Off!"  Not had a chance to listen to this yet but I've heard nothing but great reports about it.  Finally, we've also got an interview that Iannucci conducted with XFM around the time that I'm Alan Partridge series 2 was broadcast.  You can grab all these files and more from the Collab Page.

Bit of Morris news now, Karpit has just posted on the forum to let us know that Jimmy Carr auditioned for the Nathan Barley pilot about 18 months ago.  Thankfully he wasn't deemed suitable, check out the rest of the thread here

Don't forget that you can check out the old updates that got wiped by visiting this url.  We've put up some cracking stuff lately, including an interview with Julian Dutton and new captures of the first series of his and Baynham's excellent series "The Harpoon."

Vermschneid Mehearties

I've written the letter. It'll be incredibly disappointing if this doesn't get a release, mainly because it's far superior than *some* comedy shows I could mention that get DVD releases.

I'm a lazy sod as it is, and the letter main points out in large bold lettering that I would very much like a release of The Armando Iannucci Shows on DVD, as would plenty of other people. So do it. If I can, you can.

grindyourmind

axel

I've just sent an e-mail.   As a self-confessed lazy bastard is this enough, or should i use paper as well?

Steve Zuzazu

Pitiful response considering almost 400 people have signed up here in less than a week.  No wonder British comedy is so shit.  Well, my letter is in the post.

Rats

QuotePitiful response considering almost 400 people have signed up here in less than a week. No wonder British comedy is so shit. Well, my letter is in the post.

Well I wouldn't buy the DVD if it came out. It won't harm Ianucci's career if I don't write a letter and so I'm not going to. I'd just feel stupid writing a letter asking them to release something I wouldn't buy. Great show though it was, I've no wish to own it on DVD. If I saw it on sale for a tenner I might have it but that's not what they want to hear is it?

You can print this out if you want and send it along with yours

Dear sir/madam
I am vaguely interested in this show getting a DVD release. If I saw it going cheap at a car boot sale, I would definatly buy it so long as I hadn't spent all my money on tat.
Yours and so on
Rats

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Steve Zuzazu"Pitiful response considering almost 400 people have signed up here in less than a week.  No wonder British comedy is so shit.  Well, my letter is in the post.

Yeah, we should all hang our heads in shame. We're so shit.

edited to add: By the way I had every intention of writing a letter and sending it this weekend, I just don't like being told off by outraged motivational hockey-teacher types.

Bilko

I'll write my reponse out tonight and e-mail tomorrow.

I wouldn't buy the DVD myself but that isn't the point, if it helps other verbwhores who want the DVD then I'll do it.

weekender

It just seems a bit wrong to say "hey look at me - I've written a letter too, aren't I great?".  It's just not in my nature.

Timmay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Timmay"Yeah, I've not just stuck my letter in the post too.

II think Neil would appreciate to know that people are putting in the effort to e-mail or write letter to try to get the DVD release.

TJ

Mind you, it does give something of an insight into what some people are really 'in' this site for.

benthalo

Quote from: "weekender"It just seems a bit wrong to say "hey look at me - I've written a letter too, aren't I great?".  It's just not in my nature.

No one's asking you to declare that you've done it, just to do it if you feel that you ought to. I'm usually as resigned as the next man to letter writing, but I have it on reliable authority that this will actually help to tip the balance.

Frankly, it's the basic principle of preventing more wayward comedy from being sidelined, as I said in the original message, opening up a world of ever-narrowing choice. If you accept that's what's happening, then drop them a line.

As to the other point of only buying it if it came out for a tenner, well, I know the feeling. But you'll find that all DVD companies release stuff with you in mind, accounting for people who'll buy it on the day of release and those more prudent people who'll wait for the sales. They'd be daft not to be aware of that.

Thanks for the responses, guys and gals.

Timmay

Quote from: "Anonymous"II think Neil would appreciate to know that people are putting in the effort to e-mail or write letter to try to get the DVD release.
"I've not just stuck my letter in the post too" following weekender's comments about it's wrong to actually *say* whether you've done it. Can you not see it?

Take Blackadder; the Scarlet Pimpernel is the sort of person who, when asked are they the Scarlet Pimpernel, would reply "absolutely not".

"My God, could it be? Are *you* the Scarlet Pimpernel?"
"Absolutely not."

I resent you, Mr/Miss Anon, for making me have to explain that.

And TJ, I'm surprised you need a thread like this to realise that not everyone on here, is here because they know off by heart and care about every single piece of comedy ever written.

fanny splendid

I think TJ's comments might have something to with the clarity in which you can now see how the board is utilised, with it being brand new.

My understanding of this site is that it's based around an appreciation of certain types of comedy, and that the other forums began because people were interested in other things, too.

After spending the last week resurrecting this place, I can understand Neil's disappointment at some of the directions in which it appears to be going.

european son

Quote from: "TJ"Mind you, it does give something of an insight into what some people are really 'in' this site for.

that'a a bit harsh TJ. i've written emails to support Family Guy and Twin Peaks DVDs in the past, but *quietly* i didn't like the AI shows. i saw the first three when imitationleather i believe it was hosted them, and they were alright, but not really my thing. i deleted the last few having not even watched them.

when people don't reply to my Family Guy threads, i don't claim they're a bunch of comedy-hating  wank-obsessed General Discussioners.... i accept that maybe their likes and dislikes don't follow mine.

Quote from: "PH"I wouldn't buy the DVD myself but that isn't the point, if it helps other verbwhores who want the DVD then I'll do it.

is nice and well, but i'd feel like a hypocrite extolling the virtues of something i don't particularily like that much.

Well I come here to use and read all the forums, I know the founders would give priority to comedy discussion (and I do post to that a lot) but it wasn't that alone which made me a c&b groupie. I just enjoy the forums period (well maybe not the music one! I'm out of my depth there.)

I rarely downloaded anything off the site (one or two bits of the old music shows when i first arrived i think) firstly because it takes ages on my dialup and secondly because I'm never that short of dvds and things to watch anyway. I suppose if i had a computer running constantly in the sparebedroom or something I could just leave it constantly downloading but instead I have a laptop which i'm always unplugging and moving about.

I like the armando channel 4 series, I have them all on video but I'm not really over fussed whether it gets on dvd or not - I enjoy comedy but it isn't my premiere passion as it is for a lot of people and it's certainly not something I'm engaged enough in to start writing campaining letters about... To be honest I can't think of anything I'd write a campaining letter about - I don't even go on genuinely important things like anti-war rallies! I'm too bloody laid back I suppose.

I do love C&B very much, it's a fun passtime for me, I'm regularly on here reading the forums, I treat them as a fun little escape and I think there's a lot more to the non-comedy ones than wanking threads. If I like something a lot then I'm more than happy to big it up and to offer as much help towards it as I can, many times I've offered my services (all be them small) to the site and will continue to do so for ever and ever amen.

I'm sorry that the founders feel underapreciated in what they do and although I can't speak for everyone I am confident that's not really the case at all. People get different things from it is all, it might not be what some consider the original intention but you should feel very proud by just how popular and beloved this place is.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteIt just seems a bit wrong to say "hey look at me - I've written a letter too, aren't I great?". It's just not in my nature.

Hmm. Actually I posted here saying so because A-it seemed to appropriate place, and somehow I thought it might motivate other people if they saw that even apathetic twatheads like me were spurred on enough.

Timmay

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"a pathetic twathead like me
Sorry, it was a cheap shot. ;)

Rats

Not everyone is an obbsessive. That's the only difference here I think. We all like comedy, it's just that some of us aren't serial killers :) I can't think of anything that I'm totally wrapped up in, I like lots of things.
To be honest, I don't think it's worth them releasing the show on dvd. There won't be enough sales. I'm guessing that's why they aren't releasing it. So there's about 20 people here who would buy it? Well I'm afraid that's not going to make much of a difference. I just got a bit riled reading that anonymous post tutting at everyone who hadn't replied to the thread.

weekender

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Hmm. Actually I posted here saying so because A-it seemed to appropriate place, and somehow I thought it might motivate other people if they saw that even apathetic twatheads like me were spurred on enough.

Two good reasons there I think.  It's sometimes easy to forget that by not posting that I've sent a letter, I'm not declaring the fact that I want the shows to get released.  Knowing that so many other people are publicly interested in getting the Shows released is certainly something that I think should encouraged, with hindsight.

As for Neil et al appreciating the effort that people have gone to, that's a fair point as well.  I'm just not comfortable with saying that I've posted a letter because - as I said - it gives me the feeling that I'm just going "ooh look at me aren't I great".  Whether or not that's a good enough reason is a matter of opinion (I can see how crap it looks).  I think the important thing is trying to get the shows released, and encouraging other people who are also interested to help out (which, hopefully they want to).

Steve Zuzazu

Quote from: "Rats"Not everyone is an obbsessive. That's the only difference here I think. We all like comedy, it's just that some of us aren't serial killers :)
Gosh, these cunts with their interests and hobbies, eh what?   How saaaaaaad they must be!

QuoteI can't think of anything that I'm totally wrapped up in, I like lots of things.
To be honest, I don't think it's worth them releasing the show on dvd. There won't be enough sales. I'm guessing that's why they aren't releasing it.
Why don't you just try, for once, to put things in perspective here.  Have you even bothered to read the messages that bent halo has posted, or do they contain a few too many of those word things for you?  

Wanting funny, intelligent comedy to be released instead of drek like Bo Selecta makes us "obbsessives", does it?  Amazing.  No wonder Neil (and TJ?) appear to be so pissed off.  From what they've said in the past this site was started to make available comedy which would otherwise not be available.  I'm sure they're delighted people would rather talk about Janet Jacksons saggy bosom than even discuss the ramifications of a show like TAIS not being granted a commecial release.  This is Armando Iannucci we're talking about, you know, the guy who was directly responsible for On the Hour and The Day Today, and you're happy enough knowing HE can't get stuff released?  What if The Day Today release was shelved for being too cerebral?

Rats

Yes I did read it. It's being shelved because they don't think enough people will buy it for them to spend ludicrous amounts on clearing music. I think they're right.

QuoteGosh, these cunts with their interests and hobbies, eh what? How saaaaaaad they must be!

I was referring to TJs post "Mind you, it does give something of an insight into what some people are really 'in' this site for."

You have to accept that a very small amount of the people who come here are comedy anoraks. I'm sorry but if you're going to imply that everyone else is obsessed with janet jacksons saggy tits then I'm going to call you an anorak.
I'm sorry for not giving a shit whether or not a comedy show I have already seen twice is available for me to buy for 20 quid so I can add it to my "impressive" collection.

european son

Quote from: "Steve Zuzazu"
Quote from: "Rats"Not everyone is an obbsessive. That's the only difference here I think. We all like comedy, it's just that some of us aren't serial killers :)
Gosh, these cunts with their interests and hobbies, eh what?   How saaaaaaad they must be!

y'see that smiley thing Rats had there.... i hate those, their lack of point has just been illustrated. even when you do use them to prevent someone overreacting to a throwaway funny comment, people still inexplicably get wound up.

Quote from: "Steve Zuzazu"more things

resorting to (anonymous) ad hominem attacks on someone (calling one of the funniest, most irreverent and smart people here stupid) doesn't make me suddenly see the error of my ways, stop going to my favourite forums (SE and GD) and suddenly write page after page of how so much comedy doesn't make me laugh in the Chuckle Reich.

as i said before, i wouldn't go round insulting people's intelligence if they didn't share my love of Twin Peaks, if they haven't yet signed the latest petition for the FWWM deleted scenes (the only "new" Peaks stuff we may ever see!) here. i'd post it up here and let people sign it if they wanted to.

Rats

Yes, a very good point. How dare you argue with me of all people :)

Steve Zuzazu

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "Steve Zuzazu"

y'see that smiley thing Rats had there.... i hate those, their lack of point has just been illustrated. even when you do use them to prevent someone overreacting to a throwaway funny comment, people still inexplicably get wound up.

Oh come now, it's clear that he meant it,.  Softening it with a smiley does no good.

Quote from: "Steve Zuzazu"more things

resorting to (anonymous) ad hominem attacks on someone (calling one of the funniest, most irreverent and smart people here stupid) doesn't make me suddenly see the error of my ways, stop going to my favourite forums (SE and GD) and suddenly write page after page of how so much comedy doesn't make me laugh in the Chuckle Reich.

I'm as anonymous as you are.  Steve Suzazu is as much my real name as I suppose 'european son' is yours.  You've lost me with your forum talk, I don't much bother with them as Im not an obbsessive.  I'm simply alarmed that people don't seem to care about some of Iannucci's finest work being denied a commerical release.  As I said, my letters in the post.  Thanks for the site chaps, keep up the good work.

TJ

Of course it isn't expected that everyone who posts here should be a 'comedy geek', but it can be frustrating when people who aren't interested in a particular topic feel the need to decry it loudly for no real reason. This can't really achieve anything bar hindering the cause of the people who do care about it.

A relevant example; back in the very early days of the site, there was talk of collating a 'complete Chris Morris' collection on audio tape (which shows how long ago it was!) and distributing it amongst the people who visited the site. So an appeal was put on the messageboard, asking for any higher quality recordings of On The Hour/Blue Jam etc, and any rarities such as full GLR shows. The thread soon got swamped by people who were only posting to say "nah, I ain;t got none of that, mate" (none of them even added "...but can I have a copy when it's sorted? Good luck and that" or anything). It soon turned in to unrelated nonsense, no tapes were offered to us, the project got nowhere, and years later someone who was posting to the boards regularly at the time offered us some better quality Music Shows and expressed amazement that there had ever been such a thread (his actual comment - "it must have gone off-topic really quickly, otherwise I would have paid attention to it"). And all that because some people who had nothing to say insisted on saying it anyway...

In short, yes it's only fair that people should get something out of the boards (although not the site as a whole, I'd argue) than what they were intended for, but if we're continually being asked to consider their feelings, then maybe others should be a bit more considerate towards the feelings of those who, say, have seen their chance to get a DVD release for something that might not even stand a chance of release without their support?

ANHowlett

I have acted upon the information given, and written to Channel Four.
I didn't write out of being an obsessive wanker, but simply out of wanting quality TV to be more avaliable on DVD.

european son

Quote from: "Steve Zuzazu"Oh come now, it's clear that he meant it,.  Softening it with a smiley does no good.

come now, Rats never means anything he says.

Quote from: "Steve Zuzazu"=I'm as anonymous as you are.  Steve Suzazu is as much my real name as I suppose 'european son' is yours.  You've lost me with your forum talk, I don't much bother with them as Im not an obbsessive.  I'm simply alarmed that people don't seem to care about some of Iannucci's finest work being denied a commerical release.  As I said, my letters in the post.  Thanks for the site chaps, keep up the good work.

i was referring to you not being registered, thus not being permanently stuck with comments you've made. i've seen iannucci's finest work, and it wasn't the AI shows.....

i'm alarmed that people here don't seem to realise that one hour (longer than an episode!) of fwwm deleted scenes are out there, waiting to be seen, or that Help! hasn't got a DVD release.  but i can't expect everyone to share my interests.

i didn't claim that my enquires about Help! (a very funny, british made comedy film) in another thread not being responded to was a "pitiful response considering almost 400 people have signed up here in less than a week. No wonder British comedy is so shit." becuase i'm not a cheeky so-and-so.

i didn't "decry" people's likes or their attempts to get stuff released, i just took offence at the blaming of the poor state of comedy on our not posting to this thread.

das spunken