Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Paintings

Started by Rubbish Monkey, April 07, 2004, 07:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanny splendid

It's an interesting experiment in film making. It starts off with a young lady slicing her eyeball in half. There's more about it here

Rothko is a very interesting painter. His paintings draw you into them in a much more brooding fashion than merely being spiritual, at least I think so. Especially knowing that he committed suicide.

Did you ever see Richard Wilson's 20:50 at the old Saatchi gallery?

That has a similar effect, albeit physical this time, on me.

sore bottom mum

Yes.. I saw that (Richard Wilson)... It's still one of the best 'exhibitions' I've seen... very disorientating! He was quite lucky that the gallery was just about to go through a complete renovation... enabling him to do what he wanted with the building.  I haven't heard much about about him recently though....

Bogey

Oh yeah, that was great. Is it not there anymore?

fanny splendid

I found this link here.

It's been moved to the new Saatchi gallery.

sore bottom mum

sorry... I was thinking of an exhibition he did at the Serpentine a few years back. I miss-read things you see!

mr rou-rou

more commonly known as Un chien andalou

made with his pal Luis Buñuel, i'm refering to the Dali film

you can d/l it from soulseek

Bogey

Hence,

And indeed,

Got the wrong album there though, didn't you, Vaughan?

fanny splendid

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"more commonly known as Un chien andalou

Easy, easy. I know it's surrealism, but it's not drippy clocks.

You know how the masses get excited.

I may get around to posting some of my new stuff in this thread if I sort out my shit soon. Less than 2 weeks to go before I finish my painting degree. YAY! Not that paint features very much at all...

Anyway I stumbled across a guy called Mathew Borrett. His art is very interesting and you should check him out. Lush!

MrsJojo

Sore bottom mum
Quoteis my tedious long-winded answer.

No not at all. I was just intrigued to find out others opinion as I often feel like I am unfairly dismissing Dali for no particular reason... and thus missing out in some way. I guess you've hit the spot Dali is remembered for "slick/graphicky paintings" and I think it annoys me that people grab onto it because it looks "nice".... Think I will look into Dali more and try and get away from the commercial side.

Rothko - yes very spiritual and brooding.

I agree Art should be about the painter and where they are at, not for the public.... but then I get into this rut of why artists should get to earn money from doing something so fun.... like the fact the footballers get payed for playing a game.... musicians etc...

Then I realise that I can't live without art or music......

MrsJojo

thanks for that link - Matthew Borrett has an inspiring imagination.... why do houses underground excite me!?! I think I must be odd.

mr rou-rou

QuoteIt's time to head for Coober Pedy in South Australia and act like a mole six feet under the ground. Relax with a few drinks in an underground bar, satisfy your spiritual needs in an underground church, and return at night to your cosy little underground house to snuggle in bunk beds. Coober Pedy (meaning 'white man's holes') is a little opal-mining town, mostly built underground to withstand the harsh summer heat. From the outside, buildings are nothing but lumps sticking out of the earth. But inside you can see that walls have been painstakingly dug up and hewn. There might even be opals embedded in the brown lacquered walls ... a must-have accessory for the classic underground house!

been there, done that :)  

I stayed in the hostel run by the woman who was an extra in the landrover in Pricilla Queen of the Desert.

I'm sure I had something about art to add but I've been distracted by my crap holiday anecdote

Des Nilsen

I'd like to post a few more of my paintings here, but I have to get a picture CD made up once I've taken some new snaps. This is an older picture I found while rummaging through old picture CD's.
It's come along a little bit more since this pic was taken, but still isn't done. I can't seem to finish anything at the minute.

Fucking img tags still aren't working for me. Never mind.

I don't really name my paintings. This is a sort of 'abstract' self portrait, insofar as it's supposed to be a warped, simplified version of me that ought to express how I was feeling at the time of painting. It doesn't do the job too well though. They used to be me but now they're just generic forms that I can draw in a hurry.
I've used these odd bodies for a few years now and recently they've gone from the rough look shown above to a skeletal, jawless thing with empty eyes sockets and an open, bare ribcage.

-

fanny splendid

Test:

Des, it's because you are trying to post a .bmp image. You need to convert it to a .gif or a .jpg image for it to show up using the [img] tags.

That's a great picture, though.

Des Nilsen

Ah, I see. Very helpful fanny, and thank you for the kind words regarding the painting.

:a grin and a bow:

-

mr rou-rou

I'd like to see a detail of the hand, it has a pleasing alien look about it.

- - -

not my work but here are two recent ones that made me laugh, it's the computation of the imagination having seen these, the sucky mud of the mind, don't lose a welly.

Apologies to those who have just seen these in the 'football is gay' thread, I think they really belong here where art fops are likely to see them, away from those rough football types.

here's a painting i did a couple of years ago which i keep in my cd/book cupboard. Always guaranteed to disturb those hapless enough to wander into my lair.

ClaudiusMaximus

Quote from: "9"here's a painting i did a couple of years ago which i keep in my cd/book cupboard. Always guaranteed to disturb those hapless enough to wander into my lair.

http://www.s.shukla.btinternet.co.uk/scary.jpg

I like the polyhedron, I used to make them out of cardboard.  Need to get back into that, it kept me away from the computer for a few hours at a time.  Here's a photo I took of a few of the more interesting ones almost exactly a month ago:

sproggy

Here's something I just knocked up from scratch using PS7.

Does digital art count as a painting?

What are the opinions of the proper artist whores with regards to digital art being classed as a 'painting'?

Cliche Guevara

I'm sure you have to use paint if you're going to call something a painting. You can call it art for sure though.

There's a bit of a shine from the camera on these, but here are three paintings of mine:

#248.

Blue and Green.

Adt.

Cliche Guevara

Another one I painted last night:

"Lauren".
60x60cm.
Acrylic on canvas.
My House.

poison popcorn

i like that, not sure why. probably because it looks nice. sorry, not much of an art critic...

i did this, christ, about 5 years ago... time fucking flies.

the sky part of it was as close as i could remember it from seeing it on acid some time before. (it really did look like that, well, without the magritte style blocks...)

splattermac

marvellous that, reminds me of the lyric by Kenny Rogers 'I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in' from the song Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In), made mainstream by the Coen brother's film The Big Lebowski.

Could also be Patrick Moore on acid peering through his telescope to see how construction on his Martian villa is coming along.

sproggy

Quote from: "poison popcorn"
i did this, christ, about 5 years ago... time fucking flies.

Beautiful.

Bit of a Dali fan?

fanny splendid

very interesting. It reminds me of this a little...

poison popcorn

Quote from: "splattermac"marvellous that, reminds me of the lyric by Kenny Rogers 'I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in' from the song Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In), made mainstream by the Coen brother's film The Big Lebowski.

Could also be Patrick Moore on acid peering through his telescope to see how construction on his Martian villa is coming along.

love that patrick moore description, if fact i should have called it something like that. :)

and, yeah i was quite into dali for ages, probably  still am a bit, but let the painting thing drop over the years.

thanks for the nice comments.

fanny splendid

I've been working on this during the past week, it's almost finished now.

So I started on another in the series, today.

splattermac

is this from the Rothko room at the Tate Modern by any chance? Top one looks like a shuffling staff member and I'm not sure about number two but they could be from photos when eeijts got in the way and you decided to paint them in :)

Cliche Guevara

Quote from: "poison popcorn"i like that, not sure why. probably because it looks nice. sorry, not much of an art critic...

Hehe, thanks anyway. Yours is very impressive.

I really love the background of your bottom one fanny. Reminds me of Rothko as well. Amazing. Rothko is one of my favourite artists. Him and Barnett Newman.

What artists/styles have influenced people here or who/what are your favourites?

I'd say "abstract expressionism" (especially "colourfield painting") and "art informel" have been my most important influences. I love the use of colour and action to express one's self.

Anyone have any idea how much a painting by a new artist could be worth? I've been thinking of painting to keep up funds for when I'm at university in the aim of selling them you see.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "splattermac"is this from the Rothko room at the Tate Modern by any chance? Top one looks like a shuffling staff member and I'm not sure about number two but they could be from photos when eeijts got in the way and you decided to paint them in :)

Basically, yes!