Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:55:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morons From Outer Space - BBC1, April 12th, 12:50am (just after midnight on Easter Sunday)

Started by Darrell, April 08, 2004, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell

As officially the only person in the world who likes this 1985 Smith and Jones film, I feel obliged to point out that BBC1 are broadcasting it as part of their Easter programming.

Watch it / set the video, you might just enjoy it. It's already available on DVD in America and Australia (obviously the latter would be the more sensible buy for people in the UK), so this transmission will save me having to import it.

There's a good Mel Smith/Peter Brewis song at the end too, which no announcer talked over the last time this was on. Fingers crossed they'll remain equally silent this time.

Purple Tentacle

dan dirty ape

Up until now I'd only heard this talked about in across the board tones of revulsion. Haven't seen it, gonna tape it out of curiosity more than anything else.

Darrell

It's definitely a case of more people hating it than have actually seen it.

That's what yer received opinion is, right there.

Jemble Fred

Haven't seen this in over five years, but I always really enjoyed it. In fact, the scene where Mel is left all alone in deep space deserves to be a truly Great scene – I always found it unbearably sad. And then, of course, very, very funny.

I've always put this on the list of movies that got a bad press due to a small group of people with underdeveloped senses of humour telling everyone else not to watch it.

I watched this years ago (taped it on Betamax - that's how long since).  Thought it was rubbish, so never bothered again.

Cuh, and my David Nobbs thread got less response than this.

I always liked this. Especially the brief exchange regarding their door falling off.

I remember my Mum taking me to see it at the cinema and we were literally the only the two people in there.

Darrell

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I remember my Mum taking me to see it at the cinema and we were literally the only the two people in there.

I don't know whether to hate it or love it when that happens.

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I remember my Mum taking me to see it at the cinema and we were literally the only the two people in there.

I don't know whether to hate it or love it when that happens.

Depends how old you are - if you're 17 and your mums taking you to the cinema then it's a blessing in disguise!

Darrell

Darrell

Bloody hell! When did this come out?!

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000080566

I'd been after that. Never seen it like, but with Smith and Jones in the cast and an adapted screenplay by Marshall and Renwick, surely it's great?

Well, is it?

It has it's moments but it's nothing spectacular. I can think of little else to say other than that. But if I hadn't seen it and I was as avid a collector as yourself then I'd deffo order it.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Barry 'Film 85' Norman argued that its main problem was this: Smith and Jones don't appear onscreen together until the end. Is this a fair objection?

It's years since I've seen it - I remember being frustrated by the sparseness of the jokes rather than actually appalled.

Doesn't Jimmy Mulville have a cameo?

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Barry 'Film 85' Norman

Apparently he hates being called that - arguing that the preceding and subsequent years yielded just as much memorable work.

"You don't f****ing call David Jason, David 'Only Fools & Horses series 3' Jason do you?" he's been known to shout when drunk (which is becoming earlier and earlier each day),

Yes Jimmy Mulville is in it as a motorway policeman according to the castlist... I have no idea who Jimmy Mulville is though, but I'll look out for him.

Neil

Bugger, forgot this was on last night...didnt mind this when I was a kid, not a bad movie, just not brilliant.