Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

STREET FIGHTER IV

Started by Spiteface, October 18, 2007, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Capcom unveils trailer for Street fighter IV

Here it is, for those who cannot be arsed to click the link

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZP3WYiOncI[/youtube]

About fucking time.  Interesting to see if this trailer is genuinely representative of the in-game visuals.  Looks like it's going to be a 3D game.  That isn't a first for SF (SF EX anyone) but this will be the first "canon" SF in 3D.

One of the few games that I am genuinely excited about.  It's been about 8 years since SFIII: Third Strike hit arcades, and I still enjoy Street Fighter Alpha 3 to this day.

Mr Colossal

That trailer looks very similar to the opening of the Streetfighter manga movie, the fireball is almost a direct lift.  I cant actually imagine a streetfighter  transferred into 3D without it losing some of the elements that made those games so playable... 
I mean, things like projectile attacks and anything involving a trajectory are much better suited to games with a 2D side-on perspective. 3D to me says  'realism' , and cartoonish rendering of the characters provided something of an antithesis to that, so it would be interesting to see how they are doing it.

actwithoutwords

Lovely art direction on that trailer.

Tom The Funkee Homosapien

WOOOO cannot wait for this I remember back in the day playing my hands off in street fighter 2 trying always to beat Vega the bastard could never beat him still to today.
What console is this coming out on?
And how do you get akuma on the Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition?

samadriel

I think modern gaming technology has finally reached the point where the thought of a '3d Streetfighter' is no longer a step down, aesthetics-wise; I prefer 2d, but given the kinds of devilishly clever new shaders the studios are always putting out, there's the possibility of a new and lovely cel shader that'll blow us all away when SF4 is out (perhaps it'd look like that teaser there; swanky!)  So looks-wise, I'm not fretting at the moment.

I do hope the game mechanics remain overwhelmingly 2d, however.  I don't mind some 3D fighters (ahh Soul Calibur...), but the mechanics of play are hugely different; Streetfighter wouldn't be Streetfighter without the inescapable 'cage' of the X/Y axis.  There's no side-stepping the SHORYU REPPA!

...I hope it's got a huge cast, 'cos I want Fei Long back.

Spiteface

Quote from: Tom The Funkee Homosapien on October 18, 2007, 08:24:57 PMWhat console is this coming out on?
And how do you get akuma on the Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition?

I'm guessing SFIV will be for PS3/XBox 360.

Akuma?  How's this?

QuoteAkuma Code
On the character selection screen, Select Super-T as your fighting style then highlight Ryu for 5-7 seconds, then quickly go right and highlight T.Hawk for 5-7 seconds then hit left and highlight Guile for 5-7 seconds, now quickly highlight cammy by going down and then right and highlight her for 5-7 seconds, finally quickly highlight ryu by going right to ken then up to ryu and stay on ryu for 5-7 seconds. Now finally end it by pressing start and then the PPP button, you basically have a milisecond before hitting PPP in order to get akuma.

I think if they're going 3D graphically, then I think they should shade it to look 2D.  I believe this might be the direction SNK Playmore is taking for KOF XII.  Both series never looked quite right in 3D.

Spiteface

I've just remembered something else  I should bring up, while I'm here:

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix:

This looks like it's going to be very nice, basicaly, it's Super SFII Turbo, completely redrawn in HD

For an idea of what it will look like:

This is a scale image of how various sprites compare.  imagine that last one, animated,  That's what this remake is going to look like.

and here's a side-by-side comparison of Akuma

Fuck 3D.  they should do SF4 like that.

I seem to remember the talk when SFIII was in development, and it was made known it was going to be a 2D game.  It was doubtful any home console on the market at that time would be able to pull it off, it was that detailed.

thugler

They'll never top SFII turbo. Since then they just added crap stuff like super moves and nonsense, turbo was the purest and best one.

Lord of divs

Yes this will be awesome!!!

I was always a big fan of Marvel vs Capcom 2 so if they can add some of the elements of that game int SF4 I'll be well happy.

Tiger!

Lee Van Cleef

Here's hoping it's going to be brighter than that video.  Would be nice to actually see the action.

VegaLA

samadriel

I seem to be alone in thinking that screenshot looks hideous -- I'm hoping that's not the final model for Ryu.  Still, interesting texture/shaders -- could look seriously neat in action.  I believe it was mentioned that the game mechanics will be thoroughly 2D, so that's one fear assuaged.

I wonder if it's a lighting issue, or if Ryu really has grey hair?  It could be set 10 years on from SF3 -- 20 years after SF2!  I'd love to see Ryu and Ken's styles changing to reflect them becoming grizzled old men with decades of battle under their belts (so that's what Ryu's bulge is, etc).  I doubt they'd be interested in ageing Chun Li into her 50s though, so maybe not...

Mister Six

Kind of glad to see them going for the 2D axis because I'm not sure projectiles could work in a 3D arena without severely spoiling the SF tradition. That said, it does make me wonder what the point of doing it in 3D is, except to get more sales from the novelty. And the 3D models don't quite have the charm of their 2D counterparts.

Quote from: samadriel on December 07, 2007, 11:16:04 AMI wonder if it's a lighting issue, or if Ryu really has grey hair?  It could be set 10 years on from SF3 -- 20 years after SF2!  I'd love to see Ryu and Ken's styles changing to reflect them becoming grizzled old men with decades of battle under their belts (so that's what Ryu's bulge is, etc).  I doubt they'd be interested in ageing Chun Li into her 50s though, so maybe not...

They could go for comic book ageing, where the blokes become grizzled but still sexy while the women remain smooth-skinned and tight bodied.

Rubbish Monkey

There's a rumour that it will take place some time between Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter III.

There are also a couple of other screen shots from the  website where the above rumour orginated.

http://www.blogeek.com.br/?p=85

The parry system may also be dumped

Spiteface

...So a bit like the SF Alpha games then?  Those took place between SFI and SFII.

Nik Drou

Does anyone else think it just plain doesn't look very good? 

wheatgod

Looks like the same game mechanics as SFII, just with spiffy 3D manga-arty graphics. So if you enjoyed SFII, this should be good.

But its nothing new, so I won't be getting it.

Quote from: Nik Drou on February 24, 2008, 10:33:03 AM
Does anyone else think it just plain doesn't look very good? 

The character models look pretty shit.

VegaLA

Deadman97

Release date?  Anyone? Release date? On Xbox? Special pad to play it on? Anyone?

tygerbug

So, VegaLA, which character will you be playing as etc etc

Spiteface

I was hoping for something more outlandish in terms of boss design, but then that would probably not be very Street Fighterish.

Looking forward to this hitting the home consoles.  I'll be mostly playing as Ryu or Akuma.  That tag about my only using Zangief is so beyond wrong.  I hate Zangief, and wrestlers in fighting games in general.  They always tend to be too slow for me.  That said, El Blaze in VF5 is awesome, because he's a really fast Luchador.  So, yeah, Ryu or Akuma, maybe Gouken (wrongly referred to as "Sheng Long" in some early reports due to that infamous EGM April Fool), depending on what he's going to play like.

chocky909

Quote from: VegaLA on September 25, 2008, 04:29:56 AM
US and Euro cover art revealed.

Article here: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17654/Street-Fighter-IV-Box-Art-Revealed/

Have there been any official announcements about the console conversions. ETA? Platform exclusivity?

Spiteface

IGN's saying February 20th as the UK release date.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14211549.html

Although that's for the Xbox 360 version, I'd assume that's for all the home versions.  It's going to be available for XBox 360, PS3 and PC, I'm told.

chocky909

VegaLA

Quote from: Deadman97 on September 25, 2008, 09:29:47 AM
Release date?  Anyone? Release date? On Xbox? Special pad to play it on? Anyone?

TXB are also stating Feb 20th for UK Rel date. Less than a month before Resident Evil 5.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18156/Street-Fighter-IV-Dated-Gouken-Gameplay-Trailer/

New Gouken vid in that link too.
Enjoy.

Spiteface

It's just dawned on me that this is out on home consoles next month.  This is one of the few new games I have legitimately been looking forward to.  I can't bloody wait.

The home version is getting Dan, Lei-Long, Sakura, Cammy, Gen and Rose in addition to the arcade roster.  New boss/hidden characters Seth and Gouken are going to be playable as well.

I'm almost tempted to shell out nearly £60 for this.

But I might just get the ordinary version, along with a proper joystick or the new madcatz SFIV pad.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix might be the only thing on XBox Live Arcade I'd shell out for.  Anyone played this yet?