Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

STREET FIGHTER IV

Started by Spiteface, October 18, 2007, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Yeah i'm pumped about this too.
This gaming season is going to end on a few high notes thanks to Capcom.
Looking forwards to some sort of verbWhore online tournament too.

11 "xbox" terms found, 5 teamxbox links on one page, two large xbox box artwork and one mention of the ps3 version exists.

Typical.

Quote from: Aki Kaurismäki on January 11, 2009, 08:49:55 PM
11 "xbox" terms found, 5 teamxbox links on one page, two large xbox box artwork and one mention of the ps3 version exists.

Typical.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Strike up discussion of the PS3 version yourself if you're that bothered.

Table Top Joe

It's like the civil rights movement of inanimate hardware.

thugler

Typical.

It's almost like people don't like paying twice as much for no reason.

Beil

Quote from: Spiteface on January 11, 2009, 06:57:23 PM
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix might be the only thing on XBox Live Arcade I'd shell out for.  Anyone played this yet?

Yeah it's great. It looks pretty shitty though; redrawn by the guys who do the SF comic who have done a decent attempt at doing the characters in big, bold comic style, but clearly had no concept of "inbetweening" frames of animation. Also the fact that they weren't allowed to add any animation to any part of the game, meaning that all the two-frame backgrounds of the ancient arcade version are still as badly animated as before does kind of lessen its impact as some sort of ultimate 2D high-definition piece of art.

If you can get over that then the game itself is fantastic, though. Loads of really smart, useful changes to Super Turbo, great online play and a huge community as well.

Oh god I can't believe SFIV is out next month. The next few weeks are going to be hell for me. I might just hibernate.

samadriel

Check out Cammy's stage... *wince*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtvzeC4sdk

I do wonder if there might've been so few frames in the character animation that inbetweening wouldn't have worked...

Streetfighter tragics may be interested in this interview with David Sirlin (with a second and third part) about the rebalancing project (originally the game was just going to have the straight port and the HD graphics).  There's also a series of short articles dedicated to the rebalancing process of each character, which I thought was neato.

Sirlin has since split with great rancour from Backbone, the company who developed HD Remix -- probably because they're shit (given his intelligent, diligent work on the game and their track record of having half an arse at the best of times, I'm inclined to take Sirlin's side).

Incidentally, they have a copy of Street Fighter IV at the local arcade, and it's great fun.  I do get a little bored with such a slavishly retro cast (only El Fuerte really interests me, of the new guys; I suppose Gouken could be a relatively novel Shoto...), but the home version's got a bunch more (who look to be awesome -- they DID bring back Fei Long!  And Rose, Gen, Cammy, Dan, Sakura...) plus I'll be more inclined to experiment with the characters once I'm not paying 2 bucks a continue and eventually having that robbed of me by some little shit playing Balrog...

Beil

Quote from: samadriel on January 12, 2009, 11:25:26 AM
I do wonder if there might've been so few frames in the character animation that inbetweening wouldn't have worked...

It's fine in the original arcade versions, that's what makes it so weird. Some of the stances are so jumpy and shitty now, characters literally change size from one frame to the next. Akuma's standing animation is awful.

Slaaaaabs

Typical.

Not hard to believe you're a Liverpool fan as well, you sound like Rafa the s*****c.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Oh how I look forward to Streetfighter the rise of Chun li.

VegaLA

Quote from: Smackhead Kangaroo on January 13, 2009, 06:43:24 PM
Oh how I look forward to Streetfighter the rise of Chun li.

It's already an improvement over the Van Damme mess from 94 !!

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on January 11, 2009, 06:57:23 PM
It's just dawned on me that this is out on home consoles next month.  This is one of the few new games I have legitimately been looking forward to.  I can't bloody wait.

The home version is getting Dan, Lei-Long, Sakura, Cammy, Gen and Rose in addition to the arcade roster.  New boss/hidden characters Seth and Gouken are going to be playable as well.

I'm almost tempted to shell out nearly £60 for this.

But I might just get the ordinary version, along with a proper joystick or the new madcatz SFIV pad.

I've just half heartedly bid on a Hori fighting stick on ebay.  I'm not going to continue bidding on it if I get outbid, but these things are selling for like £60 now.  I'm not sure if it's worth it, but If I can get one cheap, I'll take it.  In the event I get outbid (and I most likely will) If anyone knows where I can get one of these:

Cheap I'd appreciate it.  The XBox 360's D-pad is not ideal for stuff like VF5 as it is.

Oh and just to get really geeky, if Fei Long's alternate outfit is not a yellow "Game of Death" tracksuit I will be very upset.  It's mandatory for a Bruce-Lee based character in a fighting game to have this as an alternate.

Quote from: Spiteface on January 14, 2009, 02:08:42 PM
I've just half heartedly bid on a Hori fighting stick on ebay.  I'm not going to continue bidding on it if I get outbid, but these things are selling for like £60 now.  I'm not sure if it's worth it, but If I can get one cheap, I'll take it.  In the event I get outbid (and I most likely will) If anyone knows where I can get one of these:

Cheap I'd appreciate it.  The XBox 360's D-pad is not ideal for stuff like VF5 as it is.

Could be worth a look in your local Gamestation; I picked one up for a tenner a few months ago.

Spiteface

I've looked.  The one in Cardiff certainly didn't have them.

anyway, I got outbid on the eBay one.  I'm not going to pursue it further.

chocky909

I think Madcatz are releasing some apparantly ace official SFIV arcade sticks including one that matches the exact spec of the arcade cabinet.

http://kotaku.com/5128370/ces-09-hands-on-with-mad-catzs-sfiv-fightstick--fightpad
http://kotaku.com/5128016/ces-09-hands-on-with-mad-catzs-street-fighter-iv-tournament-sticks

I've got the Hori stick and it's really good but a little light and has very loud clicking. It's also annoyingly wired because of Microsoft's shitty peripheral licensing but so will the SFIV one while the PS3 version will be wireless. (There you go Aki!)

samadriel

I'll be happy with the pad (as opposed to the stick) -- it has a Sega Saturn-esque "six face-buttons" configuration which I've believed to be the ideal ever since the 16-bit era (unfortunately everyone stuck with that SNES 'diamond' balls, and then Sony exacerbated it with their abstract fuckwittery... "Press rhombus!"  "What?").  Still won't be great for doing those damn three-button ultras though, I can't even get those working at the arcade... hopefully the shoulder buttons will be mappable to "three punches/kicks at once" to elide that bollocks.

Spiteface

Those fight pads look good as do the new sticks.  I seem to remember them releasing some limited edition pads at the last big SF anniversary.  These remind me of those. I never got round to getting one of those.  I shall definitely consider getting a pad with the Akuma design:

My favourite of the Ansatsuken fighters.

But if the Stick is a decent price over here, I'll get that.  but not if $69.99 translates to almost £70 over here.

Quote from: samadriel on January 14, 2009, 10:11:37 PM
I'll be happy with the pad (as opposed to the stick) -- it has a Sega Saturn-esque "six face-buttons" configuration which I've believed to be the ideal ever since the 16-bit era (unfortunately everyone stuck with that SNES 'diamond' balls, and then Sony exacerbated it with their abstract fuckwittery... "Press rhombus!"  "What?").  Still won't be great for doing those damn three-button ultras though, I can't even get those working at the arcade... hopefully the shoulder buttons will be mappable to "three punches/kicks at once" to elide that bollocks.

What bugs me about the Snes/diamond formation is that they ALWAYS map the high punch/kick buttons to the shoulder buttons.  The first thing I do when I get a new Capcom fighter on PS2 is rearrange the buttons so they make slightly more sense (I personally put the punches on [], X and O, and the kicks on /\, R1 and R2 - i find this makes things easier).  I find using the left shoulder buttons a pain in the arse when pulling off Hadoukens and the like. 

Smackhead Kangaroo

Quote from: VegaLA on January 14, 2009, 02:46:57 AM
It's already an improvement over the Van Damme mess from 94 !!

Obviously you haven't borne witness to the mess that is Smallville. In particular the sexy witch, sexy kung fu and sexy vampire episodes.

Spiteface

£69.99

Bloody hell.  I was hoping it'd be cheaper.  Maybe I will be settling for a pad after all.

chocky909

The tournament edition is £150. Same price as an XBox! I'm glad I got my Hori for £20. Apparantly some Gamestations still have them instore so ring up your local one and ask.

I still can't do Street Fighter, even with the stick. I want to play the game but I have trouble using my left hand for the stick with my right for the buttons. At the arcades you can choose which side and I always preferred the stick on the right. I can't play Sensible Soccer without crossing my bloody hands over either.

Surprise, Chocky! You're left-handed.

chocky909

I'm really not. That's the problem in fact. Surely I should be using my dominant (right) hand for the joystick which is the more skilled control compared to pressing the buttons? It doesn't help that me and an entire generation of 8Bit and 16Bit home computer users were brought up using joysticks like these...

...holding the base with our left hand using the thumb for the button and using our right hand to control the stick. Everyone I knew did it like that. Natural for a right hander.

I never understood why the standard layout on an arcade cabinet was decided to be that way.

Rapid-fire timing is more important than the broad directional strokes.

Maybe...

actwithoutwords

Quote from: The Boston Crab on January 21, 2009, 06:50:48 AM
Rapid-fire timing is more important than the broad directional strokes.

Maybe...

Boston Crab mentions his wankathon.

Spiteface

Quote from: chocky909 on January 21, 2009, 04:29:32 AM
I'm really not. That's the problem in fact. Surely I should be using my dominant (right) hand for the joystick which is the more skilled control compared to pressing the buttons? It doesn't help that me and an entire generation of 8Bit and 16Bit home computer users were brought up using joysticks like these...

...holding the base with our left hand using the thumb for the button and using our right hand to control the stick. Everyone I knew did it like that. Natural for a right hander.

I never understood why the standard layout on an arcade cabinet was decided to be that way.

Did you never play the first Mortal Kombat in arcades?  As I remember player 2's stick/buttons layout was reversed so you used your right hand for the stick, left for the punches and kicks.

I'm thinking more and more about just biting the bullet and getting one of the SF sticks, but I'll ask in Gamestation and GAME in Newport about sticks etc this week, before deciding, and maybe keep an eye on eBay, as there are always a couple of Hori sticks on there.

I'm wondering what the supposedly exclusive DLC is going to be in the collector's edition.  I'm told it'll be a bunch of alternate outfits for some of the fighters.

mcbpete

I've had one of these sticks for about ten years now:

I mainly use it to play MAME games on my PC, but it's well solid. I don't remember it costing that much either.

Spiteface

That looks pretty cool.

Amazon have removed the price on the sticks and pads, asking instead to sign up to be notified when they are available.

I may well end up just admitting defeat and paying £60 for a Hori.

If money was no object, I'd be looking here:

http://www.arcadeinabox.com/

Some of those things look pretty awesome.

They're expensive, but some fighting game enthusiasts, especially the really anal Virtua Fighter fans, will insist that a joystick made with Sanwa parts (like those MadCatz Tournament Edition things) is the ONLY way to go.

Spiteface

Tomorrow is the day, people. My pre-ordered Fightstick should be arriving tomorrow, and depending on when I'm finishing in work tomorrow, I will be getting the collector's edition of the game tomorrow or Saturday morning. 

I am so beyond excited now.

Who else is actually buying and what are you getting altogether?

Smackhead Kangaroo

I feel oddly cheated it's still 2d.
on a roughly related note, I'm waiting for a chip for me wii to play Tatsunoko vs capcom.