Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

STREET FIGHTER IV

Started by Spiteface, October 18, 2007, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.I.N.O.

Dooo eeet. I've got a PS2 HRAP2:SA and a 3-in-1 adapter for XBox, PC and GameCube. That combination covers all bases except playing on the XBox 360, but I can live with that. And it is a downright fantastic stick, I recommend it highly.

Thanks, bromigo. I'll see what I can dig up down computer city, prob some Jap import sticks knocking about.

samadriel

It's not too late to make a good Street Fighter movie!

VegaLA

Can somone put together an image of Tera Patrick as Chun Li please.
It'll keep me off here for a few days so it'll be worth your while.

samadriel

The closest I could manage was this.

G.I.N.O.

For people making the transition from SF3 to SF4, the renowned US SF player Gootecks has written an ebook for free download to help you out: Gootecks' Guide

Plus the shoryuken.com forums are always useful.

Well, I'm a solid dope and didn't realise that SF4 isn't actually out on the PC yet. Fucking crumbs.

So I've just got hold of Third Strike on MAME to fill the gap (and to catch up, I barely even touched it before) so I'm probably going to be fucking my rhythm and 'skills' with a load of different characters and moves - but it's something at least. The weird thing is: I could swear I saw a pirate version of PC SF4 down at 'computer city'. Is there any way these crazy Chineys could have somehow ripped it from the arcade machine? I read around that the cabinets were basically just PCs. I'll report back.

Edit: No, no. It couldn't be surely? That's madness.

G.I.N.O.

Yeah, I think the Type-X2 board Taito developed basically runs Windows XP anyway, so maybe it has been ripped. I hadn't heard that though.

Nice one for getting your hands on SF3. You're right about it probably being difficult to learn SF3 and 4 simultaneously, I don't think it'd stop me personally though.

Spiteface

This weekend I have been humbled.

I went online to play some humans on Street Fighter IV yesterday.  I realised either:

a) I am out of training (unlikely)
b) I actually SUCK at Street Fighter.

SpitefaceV1 for easy wins on Xbox live, people.

VegaLA

Quote from: Spiteface on May 24, 2009, 02:33:19 PM
This weekend I have been humbled.

I went online to play some humans on Street Fighter IV yesterday.  I realised either:

a) I am out of training (unlikely)
b) I actually SUCK at Street Fighter.

SpitefaceV1 for easy wins on Xbox live, people.

Don't worry. A few rounds with me will boost your ego.
I do need to spend some time with it actually but i'm on a mission to complete Gears 2 on Insane as well as grab some of those MP Achievements that are in my sights.

Really enjoying the PC version. Exactly the same as 360 version I'd been hankering for but with added inky posterisation watercolourness. I spent a good half hour this morning trying to pull off the first HARD trial combo. No fucking way...but I did manage to fluke a nice 8-hit EX/cancel/dash/target/hurricane combo which I've now almost mastered. That's about my limit right now, EX cancels and a little combo, with a super or ultra on top depending.

A question then: has anyone here actually managed to do those HARD trial combos? I'm just working out whether I can play you online or not.

SavageHedgehog

Has anyone seen Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li then? It made under $10million in the US and has no release date for the UK, not even for direct to DVD.

VegaLA

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 23, 2009, 08:04:51 AM
Has anyone seen Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li then? It made under $10million in the US and has no release date for the UK, not even for direct to DVD.

Yes, I did, and I think I gave one of my all time best reviews for it somewhere on this board.
I loved it for all the wrong reasons of course. YOU are missing out.

SavageHedgehog

Well I do intend to watch it when I get a chance. Whenever that will be.

During my first year of Uni a friend and I planned to try and watch every live action video game adaptation (in no particular order) in the space of a year or so, but realistically that was never going to happen and I think we kind of gave up after we watched House of the Dead.

samadriel

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 23, 2009, 07:55:49 AM
Really enjoying the PC version. Exactly the same as 360 version I'd been hankering for but with added inky posterisation watercolourness. I spent a good half hour this morning trying to pull off the first HARD trial combo. No fucking way...but I did manage to fluke a nice 8-hit EX/cancel/dash/target/hurricane combo which I've now almost mastered. That's about my limit right now, EX cancels and a little combo, with a super or ultra on top depending.

A question then: has anyone here actually managed to do those HARD trial combos? I'm just working out whether I can play you online or not.

Oh lordy, some of those trials are excruciating, I certainly don't intend to do all of 'em.  Rose I found particularly egregious (and yes, that Posterize filter looks great).

Still have to get a legit copy of this so I can start playing online.  The more I play it, the less impressed I become with the new characters (it's not going to knock SF3 off my faves list) but it'll be nice to have a fighter to play online -- I never got that GGPO or whatever it is working right.

You seen some of the modding mischief?  Swapping animation sets between characters and so on; there are vids on Youtube.  Most of them really warp the character faces, unfortunately (check out "Sakura as Zangief", Christ!), but I really like "Dan as E. Honda", even the expression is apt.  And Ryu with Gouken's moves is awesome.  There are skin mods out there; "Hollywood Hogan" Zangief is popular, but the only one I really like thus far is the "goth Chun Li" (mind the obscenely high volume).

I'll root out some mods, thanks. Can't get onto YouTube in China right now, it's blocked for no particular reason but I'll download a few and see how they turn out.

I'm mostly just practising like a mother fucker now, figuring out combos and linking moves. My girlfriend sits there reading her book, staring at me like I'm a retard, as I try to Kara throw, Kara throw, Kara throw, Kara throw, knowing full well that I'm not even good enough to be in a position where I need to be able to do it. You know what I'd like? I'd like to play someone really fucking good at it to tell me what level I'm at and what I should be practising more. When I actually fight, all the practice goes out the fackin window anyway and I end up manic LP/LK/crossover/throw/focusblock until my Ultra gets charged. Where's G.I.N.O. disappeared to?

Anyone got this on PC? Care for a barney?

Spiteface

I finally got my joystick sorted out today.  Good lord, the difference between a shitty pad and a decent joystick is night and day.

I'm still getting used to it, but I'm finding SF so much easier to play now than when I was using the 360 pad.

I've fitted my joystick with Sanwa parts, but I also bought an octagonal gate, which I haven't fitted, the Sanwa JLF I bought still has the regular "Square" gate.  I'm wondering if, for the "shoto" characters I prefer to use, I may be better off fitting the octagonal gate.

samadriel

Oh, god yes, I've lost so many matches simply because it executes a teleport (or, somewhat better, an EX scissor-kick), when I'm quite perfectly inputting the Ultra (Dictator's my main; my only, in fact -- I'm rusty as fuck with everyone else).  Doesn't help that a 360 pad prevents me from comfortably using the "three punch" button -- I have to limit all my teleport games to ones where I still appear in front of the enemy -- and that's really not helpful for Shotos.  Must get a stick...  Still, I'm getting better; I'm putting down the average Zangief without too much of a sweat.

I'm interested in a fightpad, 'cos I remember that configuration being plenty comfortable back in my Megadrive days, but I don't really trust Madcatz after all the horror stories, and I doubt you can DIY-fix a pad like you could a stick.

Funnily enough, I've been enjoying the stick I bought but I actually find it harder to use than a 360 pad - obviously it'll take time getting used to it but this morning I was pulling off Ken's Focus>SRK>FADC>Ultra about 25% of the time with the pad. That's a pretty good haul for me, hehe...I've still not managed it once with the stick!

Spiteface

Quote from: samadriel on August 13, 2009, 03:18:30 AM
I'm interested in a fightpad, 'cos I remember that configuration being plenty comfortable back in my Megadrive days, but I don't really trust Madcatz after all the horror stories, and I doubt you can DIY-fix a pad like you could a stick.

I'm told the Fightpad's actually rather good.  The only problematic areas with the SFIV MadCatz stuff, is the SE Fightstick, which either requires gluing the washer that causes the usual problems down into position, or just changing the stick and Buttons for Sanwa parts (which is relatively easy to do, and even though it makes the whole thing cost nearer to the TE stick, the difference is night & day).

I'm still relearning all the stuff I used to do OK with Ryu/Ken etc, but I've been using Chun Li quite a bit as well lately.  I might put that octo gate in, that may make things easier for me.

samadriel

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the pads, I'll think about it; a stick would mean a fair bit more money and continued practice, but I know my inputs are a lot more reliable on stick...
Are enough of us fighting online yet for dick comparisons to take place?  I'm not great, with a 1222 BP, although a prolonged session with a really good Shoto or Blanka will swat me back down to the 400s.  Dictator vs Blanka fucking stumps me.

VegaLA

That's not a bad idea. Someone organize it.

Well, I'm on there now: grrraymond

I'm fucking shit. I've just realised.

Spiteface

It was only a matter of time,

Super Street Fighter IV.

a bunch of new characters, apparently.  Confirmed are T. Hawk and a new character, a female Taekwondo fighter called Juri and Dee Jay is also making a return.

By the sound of things, keep hold of your SFIV disc.  This update should be a stand-alone disc, but there might be something extra for people who already have the original...

leelo

Ken.  Kenkenkenkenkenkenken.  I hate you Ken.  Always have done, always will.

LOL scrub etc.

I'm really looking fwd to SSF4. It's a fucking brilliant game already but there are a few things that could really do with a tweak to improve overall gameplay. For example:

The online is quite shit. I'm happy to say samadriel and I got a game in (he won, comfortably) but it's been really tough to actually organise any games. The search lobby brings up 3 results at a time, worldwide. Useless. The connection bar is completely meaningless, just random trial and error in the end. There has to be a better way.

The tier system is silly to whinge about but I'm tired of fighting Akuma, Sagat and Ryu online. 90% of fights are against these guys - pretty weak whining from a Ken player? I don't think so. Ken seems like a nicely balanced character now, great if you get in and punish, weak options outside. You need to be good to be good with Ken in SF4. I'm not. Few people are, it seems. Why? They were sick and tired of getting reamed by overpowered Shotos. They switched. I'm going to say it...Some characters are broken. They need to reel a few things back in, juggle shit to balance things out. Obviously, certain characters need serious skills to master and get the best from but when you've got a high number of players using only three top-tier characters, there's an obvious imbalance.

I'm not that bothered about anything else, really. Selectable Ultras would be nice but not necessary.

Any others?

Quote from: Spiteface on September 29, 2009, 09:39:11 PM
It was only a matter of time,

Super Street Fighter IV.

You are fucking kidding me. What has it been, 6 months if that? That is taking the piss royally, especially as it's clearly just DLC repackaged as a standalone game.