Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,340
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No more Spaced according to Chortle

Started by NobodyGetsOutAlive, April 08, 2004, 05:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NobodyGetsOutAlive

And because it pisses me off to no end when people just put the link when they could easily quote the whole fucking news story, here it is.

QuoteSpaced out

Pegg rules out sitcom's return

Simon Pegg has ruled out another series of Spaced ­ saying TV has lost its appeal.

The writer and actor this week releases his first movie, Shaun Of The Dead, to rave reviews - and says films are where his future now lies.

But he says he might revive the house-share sitcom for the occasional one-off.

Pegg told Teletext: "I would love to make more movies because it does feel like big school.

"Creativity is becoming less important in television now. The opportunities to make good TV are getting less and less. Film remains a place where you can do that."

Asked about a new series of Spaced, he said: "We'd love to because it's a labour of love for us.

"But in terms of practicality, getting it written, getting it done, getting it edited... a series would be a mammoth undertaking at this point and just less likely.

"We are talking about some specials to round off the story."

Spaced was last aired in April 2001.

Hmm...seems a bit of a shame if it just gets trotted out for a special or two. Wonder if he'll turn all Mr Hollywood now?  Whatever happens, this strikes me as a bit of a cop out.

I thought the hardcore(theyknowthescore)ers always suggest we disregard anything from chortle.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Jemble Fred

Why? The forums may be full of tiny twats, and I may not bother with most of the site, but for Comedy News... well, there isn't really anywhere else? I thought their News service was superb, and kick start the majority of threads on here.

As for Pegg, he's also said the opposite in the last week. Take no notice, he's on the movie flog circuit at the moment, talking balls. Having said that, I love comedy specials. OFAH may have gone on too long but usually they're perfect ways to ensure that the full casts get together, and the writers and producer have time to create something of quality.

TotalNightmare

as it goes...

Simon was on a web chat last night, and although no one mentioned the whole Spaced 3 (almost a redundant topic now) he did say him and Jessica were working on a script book full of all  kinds of lovely extras and special things... including a lost episode from series 2.

The other is that, yes, like the pythons and god know what other comedy groups before them, they are now all far too successful and blah blah blah to get together to make a whole series... so a special to wrap it all up sounds likely...

anyway... Spaced is good, but Shaun is better...

well maybe not... but its on par...well they are different... kinda.. erm

i love both.

shut up

DuncanC

I could definiteily live with just a special or two rather than a new series. I loved the two series so far, and the longer they've left it the less likely a good new series becomes.

What's Jessica Stevenson up to these days anyway? Or Edgar Wright for that matter? I'd have thought those two would be begging for a new series...

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Edgar Wright directed (and wrote?) Shaun of the Dead so he's been busy enough.

Papercut

There just has to be a Spaces series 3.

Sorry to state the obvious. Shaun is good, but a new Spaced would be better.

I thought Spaced was part-funded by Paramount anyway? You'd think after the imminent cult British comedy film success they'd be able to stick a bit more cash Spaced's way.

Rev

Quote from: "Papercut"I thought Spaced was part-funded by Paramount anyway? You'd think after the imminent cult British comedy film success they'd be able to stick a bit more cash Spaced's way.

I don't think Paramount put much cash into the thing, they just stumped up some wedge so they could show repeats on their comedy channel, but did so before or during production.  Might be wrong.

A couple of specials sounds about right to me.  It doesn't really *need* another series, does it?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"The forums may be full of tiny twats, and I may not bother with most of the site, but for Comedy News... well, there isn't really anywhere else? I thought their News service was superb, and kick start the majority of threads on here.

The problem with Chortle is that they receive press releases/bits of puff and then just report them, unchecked, as news. That's no way to carry on. They just obediently trot it all out, as if it's all true. They have no desire to question anything, or to ponder on why certain stuff is being circulated as news in the first place.

Or most of the time, it's not even press releases - it's out of context comments comedians have said as throwaway jokes.

'Pegg told teletext' s the real giveaway I think. They're hardly Reuters.

I heard Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright on Radio 5 Live on Saturday.  When asked about series 3 of Spaced, Pegg replied "we're in talks at the moment."  The tone of his voice suggested it was positive, as in "Yes, hopefully, we're just sowing up the legals" rather than "Mmm, well, maybe.  We're talking about it, but there's no decisions yet from any of us."

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I heard Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright on Radio 5 Live on Saturday.  When asked about series 3 of Spaced, Pegg replied "we're in talks at the moment."  The tone of his voice suggested it was positive, as in "Yes, hopefully, we're just sowing up the legals" rather than "Mmm, well, maybe.  We're talking about it, but there's no decisions yet from any of us."

I heard that too, although it was Friday not Saturday, but that's Easter for you!

I'm sure I heard him say he had a meeting next (this) week about it when it would be sorted out.  I can't find it in the Radio 5 archive though.

morgs

Yeah, THINK I heard that too, so fingers crossed... a 3rd and final series (or 2 long specials) could not tie up the loose ends which is how it should be...