Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical moments which always make you smile!

Started by Vitalstatistix, November 06, 2007, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

I was just walking down the street listening to my MP3 player. "Kicked It in the Sun" by Built to Spill (from Perfect From Now On) came on. Around 4:40 in, when the tempo increases and that infectious drum beat comes in, I broke into a smile, then those great vocals come in, then at 5:15 the most gorgeous and uplifting passage of music they've ever made starts. Ahhhh..it makes me all warm and fuzzy that, every time. I had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face walking down this street, I must have looked like a right tit, smiling at strangers and everything.

Anyone else love this song as much as me? What does it for you?

Don_Preston

Certain lyrics from the Smith's the Queen is Death used to make me smile, but then I think I heard them all too many times and the novelty wore off

Neville Chamberlain

Practically every single Cardiacs song ever written makes me smile like a lunatic, but the huge, sweeping final couple of minutes of Big Ship is unbeatable!

Don_Preston

Half Man Half Biscuit, and the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band always make me smile too

But I don't smile to Smile by Lily Allen as it doesn't make me smile

jaydee81

When I was going through a particularly tough break up, Martha and the Vandella's Heatwave regularly had me dancing around with a grin on my face like a buffoon... its the reason I made it through...

buttgammon

The moment about 6 minutes into 'Station To Station' by David Bowie where he sings "It's not the side effects of the cocaine/I'm thinking that it must be love" which moves it into the discoy, upbeat second half of the song is brilliant. Never fails to put a smile on my face.

Don_Preston

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 06, 2007, 04:15:10 PM
Practically every single Cardiacs song ever written makes me smile like a lunatic, but the huge, sweeping final couple of minutes of Big Ship is unbeatable!

I checked them out on handy old youtube, and I hate you because now I have something I have to spend all my money on. Thank you!

Vitalstatistix

Ooh yeah, these MF DOOM lines always brings a smile to my face:

"Clang! Crime don't pay, listen youth, / It's like me holding up the line at the kissing booth. / I took her back to the truck, she was uncouth, / spittin' all out the sunroof through her missing tooth" - (Doomsday)

and

"..always threw me off when she told me Daddy funked me... I'm like anywhoo's.." - (Vomitspit)

mister_enmity

"Huddle Formation" by the Go! Team always invites me to smile. It's so youthful and lively and whatnot, it's hard not to.

chocky909

The final swell of Radiohead's "All I Need" is continuing to take my breath away almost every time I hear it.

ccbaxter

"I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spied some la-...
ah-ha-ha-ha-ha... (etc)
Start again, start again..."

It sounds nowhere near as funny as Dylan seems to find it, but the way the band then unerringly kicks in second time around makes the whole ten seconds just joyous after all.

Pseudopath

Quote from: chocky909 on November 06, 2007, 09:12:13 PM
The final swell of Radiohead's "All I Need" is continuing to take my breath away almost every time I hear it.

Great, isn't it. It's definitely up there with the high bit at the end of "Let Down".

More or less every track on Brian Wilson's 'Smile' album. Delightfuls tuff.

samadriel

The last line of Talking Heads' "Nothing but Flowers", about a man in a post-collapse paradise who misses modern luxuries:

"DON'T LEAVE ME STANDING HERE -- I CAN'T GET USED TO THIS LIFESTYYYYYLE!"

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Don_Preston on November 06, 2007, 06:09:13 PM
I checked them out on handy old youtube, and I hate you because now I have something I have to spend all my money on. Thank you!

You will not be disappointed! Next year's going to be a great year for Cardiacs fans what with a new album and DVD! Let us know what you think fo what you buy if indeed you buy anything!

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: buttgammon on November 06, 2007, 05:00:54 PM
The moment about 6 minutes into 'Station To Station' by David Bowie where he sings "It's not the side effects of the cocaine/I'm thinking that it must be love" which moves it into the discoy, upbeat second half of the song is brilliant.

Damn fucking right there, Mr. B! That is one storming track! My "smile" moment comes a little earlier in that track when it kicks in to "Once there were mountains on mountains /
and once there were sunbirds to soar with / and once I could never be down...", but yeah, my smile broadens when it hits the bit you mentioned. What a fine, sleazy, drug-addled mess that song is! Have you seen the German film Christiane F Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo because that features a lot of Station to Station/Lodger-era Bowie and even part of a live performance by Bowie in Berlin performing Station to Station. It genuinely makes my hairs and other appendages stand up!

Quote from: buttgammon on November 06, 2007, 05:00:54 PMNev fails to put a smile on my face.

Well that's charming! :-(

buttgammon

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 07, 2007, 09:26:52 AM
Damn fucking right there, Mr. B! That is one storming track! My "smile" moment comes a little earlier in that track when it kicks in to "Once there were mountains on mountains /
and once there were sunbirds to soar with / and once I could never be down...", but yeah, my smile broadens when it hits the bit you mentioned. What a fine, sleazy, drug-addled mess that song is! Have you seen the German film Christiane F Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo because that features a lot of Station to Station/Lodger-era Bowie and even part of a live performance by Bowie in Berlin performing Station to Station. It genuinely makes my hairs and other appendages stand up!

Well that's charming! :-(

I've never seen that but I have heard of it. Sounds fantastic.

Station to Station is amazing and I think it might be overtaking Low as my favourite Bowie album. His cover of 'Wild is the Wind' is extraordinary too.

alan nagsworth

'Shining Dub' by King Tubby, and pretty much everything else by the Hometown HiFi legend. Specifically that song though, it has the greatest dub/reggae bassline I've ever heard. Tubby takes me back to inviting ourselves to a girl's house when she was having a small gathering of friends. We went with someone who'd been invited who was a friend of ours, and just waltzed in. They were all little greebo-metalhead types, and mostly hung out upstairs, until halfway through the night when we didn't see any of them for the rest of the night. We were sat round her dining room table smoking huge quantities, I was flicking through her mom's collection of (all bar one) trance compilations when I found something Black Matt had recommended to me ages ago: King Tubby's Crucial Dub album. We must have listened to it on repeat for about 4 hours and it never got old, pure smiles from start to finish. "Jah! Rastafari..."

Other tunes that make me smile:
Venetian Snares- 'Epidermis'. The intro, followed by the "la la la la la...." and the fucking intense drums that kick in, ohhh man. If I'm listening to Snares whilst walking about town on my walkman, it feels like I'm rushing on endorphins. My fists clench and everything, I reckon I could win a fight with that racket hammering my ear drums.

Kayo Dot - 'The Manifold Curiosity'. At about 4:30, again when the tune fully kicks in with what sounds like about 5 guitars and a couple flutes, the drums, everything. Fucking epic and magnificent tune, simply beautiful.

Modest Mouse - 'Float On'. Nothing but smiles.

Of Montreal - 'A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvinger'. Same again! One of the happiest sounding songs I've ever heard.

niat

Quote from: chocky909 on November 06, 2007, 09:12:13 PM

Thirded, it's the highlight of a very good album for me. We could start a new thread on "euphoric moments in Radiohead tracks. I might just do that.

Quote from: ccbaxter on November 06, 2007, 10:49:11 PM
"I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spied some la-...
ah-ha-ha-ha-ha... (etc)
Start again, start again..."

It sounds nowhere near as funny as Dylan seems to find it, but the way the band then unerringly kicks in second time around makes the whole ten seconds just joyous after all.

For some reason, the line from that song which makes me smile is 'and they threw us all in jail for carrying harpoons'.

Cack Hen

Bob Dylan - I Shall Be Free No. 10

The bit when he sings "that's nothin'! It's something I learned over in England" the way he laughs is so contagious.

Maximash

Quote from: Pseudopath on November 06, 2007, 11:52:33 PM
Great, isn't it. It's definitely up there with the high bit at the end of "Let Down".

Bah, that used to have me in bits when I was about 15. Thank fuck that was only one year.

thugler

The whole of the new go team album.

Most ska/dub/calypso music.

Nofx - She's nubs/nofx theme song/louise/hotdog in a hallway

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Jagger's hungover, tired opening lines from Sweet Virginia.

alan nagsworth

The vocal harmony outro to of Montreal's 'Lysergic Bliss', and the entire 'City Bird' lyrics, especially "City bird, haven't you heard? Hasn't anybody told you? The city blocks can't hold you, your place is in the sky, how can I show you?" *long sigh*

Quote from: thugler on November 18, 2007, 10:52:38 PM
Nofx - She's nubs/nofx theme song/louise/hotdog in a hallway

Wot, no 'Clams Have Feeling Too'? "They have no face, no place for ears. There's no clam eyes to cry clam tears."

Inspired by a post I've made elsewhere, I always raise a smile whenever I hear the Beastie Boys lyric 'I gotta grandma Hazel and a grandma Tilly'.  Bless.

non capisco

Quote from: trotsky assortment on November 19, 2007, 10:25:24 AM
Inspired by a post I've made elsewhere, I always raise a smile whenever I hear the Beastie Boys lyric 'I gotta grandma Hazel and a grandma Tilly'.  Bless.

Also :- 'Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable/I bet you never knew I got the ill peripheral'

sookmafarter

Quote from: non capisco on November 19, 2007, 10:55:55 PM
Also :- 'Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable/I bet you never knew I got the ill peripheral'

Also :- 'Now We be getting silly in your area, we're causin all kinds of hysteria, my beats is sick like malaria, but don't worry I'll take care of ya'

The happy song off the Aliens' Astronomy for Dogs always makes me smile in it's mindless happiness, also the moment when the guitar solo starts in 'We are the Sleepyheads' by Belle and Sebastian . . .but my number one happy moment is the very start of 'Birdhouse in your Soul' by They Might be Giants.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJD2N2gvqw[/youtube]

hoverdonkey

From Laika by Arcade Fire.

"When daddy comes home, you always start a fight
So the neighbors can dance in the police disco lights"

Not funny, rather bleak to be honest, but like much of that album, the dark lyrics are accompanied by such uplifting music.

fbb bastard

lemon jelly "nice weather for ducks" especially when the cha-cha bands breaks in from nowhere  :)