Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Okkervil River

Started by Vitalstatistix, November 09, 2007, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

These guys are so good I find it hard to believe there isn't a thread about em already. Upon finding this sad fact out I felt obliged to do the honourable thing and so, here we are boys and girls!

Their latest album The Stage Names is a continuation of their brilliantly consistent catalogue, each album a beauty. I saw them live last night and they were even better than I'd hoped: great sound, stage presence, energy, the lot.

You can hear the latest album on their Myspace

There must be some Okkervil fans here, so speak damn you..

Cack Hen

Yeah...well, it's difficult. I don't think they really have one album in which they manage to completely filter the things I don't like about them. But the closest they've come is Down The River of Golden Dreams, which is almost perfect, but then they put Yellow on there. I ask you, what the fuck is that.

But I can't fault them on trying, and they do have more than a handful of really beautiful, fantastic songs. I've got a huge soft spot for Song About A Star.

falafel

Hmm. I got their new album after hearing all the praise heaped on it, and I can't bear to listen to it, I actually can't bear it. Not, not because it's heartbreaking, but because I find it curiously, unendurably embarassing. It's funny because I don't hate it, not at all; the music's great, the actual instrumental part. It's just the lyrics, I find them utterly horrible and trite, and yet the lyrics have perhaps come in for the most praise of all the reviews I've read.

In short: I don't get it.

Vitalstatistix

BUMP

The Stage Names follow-up,The Stand Ins is out.

It's a conceptual continuation of the themes explored on its predecessor (I think they almost released them as a double album), and on first listen it's another excellent and intelligent release.

Here's the Pitchfork review

That review seems pretty spot-on. I like this phrase: "gusto and brainy emotionalism" (although he uses it to describe their previous album). It's an apt descriptor of the band's strengths and style, for me.

It's also spot-on about Will Sheff's lyrics. The guy is just amazing.