Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:30:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photoshop question

Started by semtex, November 15, 2007, 12:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semtex

Hello people,

Just a quick question regarding Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

I've used photoshop in the past, mainly to cut out and group together various items from different pics, or cut out a single item with the aim of having it on a plain white background - as you would for say, product images on a website. I also use the colour matching feature too. That is basically all i need the software for. Question is, can these tasks be performed in Photoshop Elements? If so, are the procedures/techniques the same as in CS3??

Cheers

Viero_Berlotti

I've never used Elements but I don't see why not, it's a pretty basic task. I'm using an ancient version of Photoshop at work to do exactly what you want to do, so a new version of Elements should be able to do it.

alan nagsworth

semtex

Thanks for the quick response chaps. I was pretty sure it'd have the polygonal lasso. Was more unsure about the colour matching side of things. That and from what I've seen on Adobe's site, Elements looks very different to CS3.

I'll download the trial when I get home as the 'broadband' in the office runs on tin cans & string judging by the speed.

alan nagsworth

The 'match' and 'replace colour' options are available even in ImageReady. I think all that stuff is standard in all Adobe's image software.

semtex

Quote from: semtex on November 15, 2007, 01:23:21 PMI'll download the trial when I get home

Right, I've had a go with Elements and all seems fine. But another taskt that I've thought of was... Well I'm not too sure of the technical term (its been a while since i last did it)

Essentially what I'd do was build up an image which would form the main body of a web page. Once done, I would then drop said image into Image Ready, or Bridge? (can't remember which). Then I could cut the image up, with each cutting then linking to a page on a website. When saving, ImageReady/Bridge would save an html file along with a folder of the image cut up into the relevant linking sections which could then be uploaded to a site with the html, thus building a page(or part of).

I'm pretty damn sure that elements can't perform this task. Is there any other program that can?

PS, much appreciating the help and info so far.

Stu

semtex

Apologies for bringing up this thread again...

The idiot for a system admin at my new place of work has got me CS3 to work with, and not CS2 as I asked for. As a result of having CS3, there's no ImageReady included. Does anyone know of any (preferably free) programs that I can use to slice up images and subsequently produce html code for use on web pages, as was possible with ImageReady?

Cheers.

Baxter

With the Adobe takeover of Macromedia ImageReady has been removed from their current product line-up to be replaced by the newly acquired Freehand.

sirhenry

But Freehand was the direct rival of Adobe Illustrator, so are they ditching Illustrator in favour of Freehand? Or are they limiting Freehand to become an ImageReady clone?

However the CS3 package should include Illustrator, which can slice up images and create a web page from them. I would have expected Photoshop to be able to do it by now (but as I still use Photoshop 6, I couldn't tell you how).

fanny splendid

ImageReady was the Adobe equivalent of Macromedia Fireworks; which you can download a fully working 30 day trial of, at the Adobe website.

Baxter

Quote from: sirhenry on December 04, 2007, 03:26:41 PM
But Freehand was the direct rival of Adobe Illustrator, so are they ditching Illustrator in favour of Freehand? Or are they limiting Freehand to become an ImageReady clone?

Freehand is currently replacing the gap previously held by imagready with regards to visual web design features such as, Gif animation, slicing and hotspots, adobe are keeping Illustrator as their main vector graphics application as far as i am aware although there is some overlap in the fact that they are both vector graphic based applications.

Infact here's a little article from adobe helping you see how they've scattered the features of imagready to the four winds, dotting them around CS3.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400899