Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:08:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you think of as being Xmas songs, even though they're not supposed to be

Started by 23 Daves, November 19, 2007, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Me neither.  Was it ever repeated on terrestrial telly?  I've not seen it since the original broadcast.

Jemble Fred

No, I don't think it ever was repeated – and to my knowledge, it was only ever released on VHS in the states. But Graham Linehan got paid a few years back for working on the screenplay for the Hollywood remake, and since then – nowt.

I always used to say it was my favourite film, but it is quite drastically dated. The heavy-handed clap-happy Christian elements are a shame, too. Still, overall, it's still the best non-Blackadder thing RC's ever done.

And it has the ultimate Xmas soundtrack too, bring it back on-topic. The sequence with 'Lonely This Xmas' on it is just the official video to the song, IMO.

Kane Jones

OK Computer has a really Christmassy vibe - in particular 'Airbag', 'Subterranean Homesick Alien' and 'No Surprises'.  The Twinkly melody and glockenspiel on the latter reeks of Christmas lights and snow to me.

Also the whole of the (Music From) The Elder album by KISS.  Especially 'Odyssey' and 'Under The Rose'.

Speaking of roses, 'Kiss From A Rose' by Seal has a Christmassy feel aswell.

For me it's certain melancholy chord patterns that evoke that Christmas feeling, rather than the jolly glam of Slade and Wizzard.

Quote from: Kane Jones on November 23, 2007, 06:15:32 PM
Also the whole of the (Music From) The Elder album by KISS.  Especially 'Odyssey' and 'Under The Rose'.

'You're not well, Santa Blackwell'. 

[runs away]

Darrell

Quote from: Paranormalhandy on November 22, 2007, 07:23:56 AM
I wonder what we'll get this Christmas?  With Kylie on board the Titanic, maybe "I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Heart Will Go On", an original composition reaching the usual Gold standard?

It's a Fairytale Of New York pastiche called "The Stowaway" (albeit not litigiously close this time), which is fantastic and genuinely does work as a Christmas song in its own right. I believe they wanted Kylie to do vocals on it (it's written very obviously in her key anyway) and she turned it down. It's out on CD now as part of the series 3 album, or streamable from Silva Screen's MySpace.

George Harrison brought out a much-maligned but rather fun New Year single in 1974/75 called 'Ding Dong'. It's on the terrible Dark Horse LP.

Kane Jones

Quote from: trotsky assortment on November 23, 2007, 10:29:56 PM
'You're not well, Santa Blackwell'. 

[runs away]

Ha!  Infact, 'The Elder' may very well be a concept album about the chocolates we scoff at Christmas time.  Consider 'Under The Rose(s)', 'Dark Light' and 'A World Without Heroes'.