Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:54:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Plug The Unsigned/Obscure!

Started by alan nagsworth, November 20, 2007, 08:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Every time I discover a new artist that I feel has never had a mention on here before, I have to fight the urge to start a thread which would probably involve a first post, inc. 3 mp3 uploads, and a subsequent two or three posts saying "yes I enjoyed that thanks."

There's so much music out there and I just want to scream praises from the rooftops about certain bands, so I would hereby like this to be a place to link to a bands MySpace, an mp3 upload or three, their official site, their Last.fm page etc, whichever contains the best source of information and media from your obscure or unsigned artist. It's kind of like Song Du Jour but less specific as it doesn't limit you to any particular day, but more specific in that they do have to be obscure or unsigned. It's pretty straight-forward but I thought I'd make that clear so this thread doesn't fade into obscurity.

I'm gonna kick this off with a band I heard a while back on Huw Stephens' Unsigned on Radio 1 (a damn excellent show) but only just got around to checking out. The song I heard was called 'Sneaky Sneaky Dog Friend' and that title stuck with me forever, until I finally decided to search out the magnificent Connan And The Mockasins. An NZ 3-piece (upright bass, guitar/vox and drums) they're a wonderful blend of blues rock and playful naivety. They remind me a lot of Deerhoof in that sense, they have lyrics and vocals that sound like they were performed by a child, they're just so playful, but the awesome little guitar licks and bass grooves are unbelievably cool.

You can download five of their tunes for free from this sneaky sneaky link friend and I highly recommend 'There Goes Tane', 'Hello View' and 'Naughty Holidays'. HIGHLY.

LeboviciAB84

Talking of holidays (hey!), the best band I've seen recently are Summer Holiday, who span genres effortlessly and feature a set of identical twins! Punk is recommended to fans of the Go! Team. (And the Harry J Allstars.) (And Creep by Radiohead.)

Misguided Missiles may not be Satanically heavy (they're named after a Richard Dawkins article), but Spin is as breathless and brilliantly-structured a mosh as you'll find. The final, two-note riff takes the song onto a new level of triffic.

Michael Wookey has a huge collection of rare instruments, and the good grace to use them in songs like Monsters. He's about to finish his second album and flee to Paris, where he's properly appreciated.

Emma Raducanu

There's a thread of this nature lost among the other pages if you care to search it out. Just in case your're interested like.

It's here if you fancy a flick through

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=11033.0

Sorry, not trying to kill the thread :(

alan nagsworth

TOO LATE IT'S DEAD. Only joking. But because I'm a cunt I'm not gonna bump that one, also because this is for obscure as well as unsigned artists.

I would just like to say, please don't just post a link and say "DEEZ GUYZ R FUKIN MINT", make comparisons and try to post a coherent review! Cheers.

LeboviciAB84

Has anyone else heard of Harry Merry? He sounds rather like William D Drake putting on a Rotterdam accent and crooning over midi arrangements of the Cardiacs songbook, like Victor Lewis Smith might have done for some reason. He'll be over here shortly, and I've half a mind to see what he's like in person!

Appetite Satisfied With Every Bite (LeboviciAB84 pick!)
Betta Elizabetta
Moody BusDriver

Marvin

Connan And The Mockasins are awesome, I was bigging up a few of their tracks on SDJ this year after seeing them at Green Man and being so impressed - I highly recommend them as well.

Pogue Mahone

I'll recommend RushJet1. The music produced by RushJet1 is tremendously upbeat and fun. It will prove nostalgic for fans of computer games as it is created using the sounds of early video games, primarily the sounds of the NES, I believe. I love listening to the collection, Sounds of the 2A03. All tracks are available for free download in MP3 form at the link. The calmer "Bob's Theme" really stands out, but the others are all worth listening to as well if this is your sort of thing, especially the quicker "Konamized", "Overdrive! Easter Egg Mode" and "Society of Nonconformists". Just give them all a listen sure; even the tense "Final Conflict" has its merits.

My brother, who is into a lot of contemporary electro lately, sent me a track, "9H20" over MSN earlier by a group/artist called Danger, who I think might be French. I don't know a huge deal about the artist but that track very much reminds me of a majestic Kavinsky.

LeboviciAB84

Thanks, Pogue Mahone – this is the greatest chip music in the world! I'm still working my way through his mp3s, but someone who covers CPE Bach, Muse and the theme from Tetris can't be all bad, can he? In fact, the influence of all three of 'em is audible on his original compositions (yes, even Muse). This stuff is far more than pastiche: linking it with concepts like nostalgia or fashion seems demeaning, somehow.

Pogue Mahone

There are a few more tracks on the guy's MySpace here, if you're interested. "Fighting for Control" is masterful.

LeboviciAB84

Are those not the same versions as on his Releases page? I'll check when my computer is being less arsey. Thanks again! You've saaaved the thread.

Pogue Mahone

Actually, it seems they are. I haven't been able to make it through all the MP3s on that page though as I've been having problems with the playing of some sound-slips on my laptop lately. Which is obviously very annoying.

The Argus

I've heard alot of positive comments about The Wave Pictures recently - unfortunately I missed them at End of the Road.  Has anyone listened to any of their stuff?

accidento bizarro

Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs

Heard on, yet again, Huw Stephens' Unsigned Night on Radio 1. Glitchy, extremely joyful chiptunesque stuff, it sounds a lot like a 16-bit Ratatat.

(Just checking out that Rushjet1 now, fucking wicked! TEED are more a basic subtraction synth and drum machine combo but this is proper retro, I love it.)

accidento bizarro

The Mint Chicks

I know it's apparently quite lazy to review artists by comparing them to other artists but basically I'm quite good at it so I don't give two fucks. The Mint Chicks are like the lovechild of Mclusky, The Undertones, Queens Of The Stone Age and pre-Dookie Green Day, and with the combined energy of all four. They're a no-wave band, what ever that means. I'm guessing it means seemingly directionless, sporadic and generally just nuts. These guys fall perfectly into that category, veering off in mad directions for outros that have nothing in common with the rest of the song, switching time signatures and jerking your brain between freak-out heavy rock insanity, introspective lyrics and shockingly upbeat optimistic punk. Their album, Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! (admittedly crap title) is a serious tour de force that epitomises today's punk youth energy and also manages to push so many boundaries it would probably be seemed socially unacceptable for today's energetic youth.

Their EP 'Fuck The Golden Youth' can be previewed HERE and Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! can be previewed HERE.

I'll upload some tunes in a bit, but it really does rag the crap out of my computer so I'm not promising anything but I highly recommend this band (just like all the other ones I've mentioned, heheh) ;-)

Anon

Not sure if I've plugged these guys here before, but anyway you should all check out a band called Veldt, who can be heard athttp://www.myspace.com/veldtmusic.  They trade a rather pleasing line in trip-hop influenced Scott Walker-isms (more Montague Terrace than Clara, it should be noted), and really do deserve more recognition than they currently get, that being somewhere in the region of sod-all.

Here, have a cheap vid too for the song Walking In Silence:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrszM-fEtWU[/youtube]

djtrees

I'm certain that I've mentioned these before on here, as they are the greatest band in Liverpool, perhaps the world! a.P.A.t.T. are truly incredible. They play all music imaginable, and they play it very well. From noisegrind core, to beautiful pop music, to balkan fiddle nonsense, to stupid covers of Panthera songs. They win at music. Their live shows are fucking immense and having seen them about 40 odd times I don't think I could ever get bored of them. However their latest album which is due out on Pickled Egg records is truly the thing that should catapult them to...er vaguely less semi obscurity. So do yourselfs a favour and get onto them you wont regret it.

The Blood
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beaw822pOfw[/youtube]

PuRple AkeEEe
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IzDDsUhBCw[/youtube]

Live Pie Eating Competition
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWRpHpnVD20[/youtube]

Stars Call Out Your Name
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKEMPdheCR0[/youtube]

And She Looked At The Swan
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhp5WUW-o0U[/youtube]