Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TDT, Jews and Catholics

Started by abbot lau, April 10, 2004, 08:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbot lau

I was re-listening to  'In conversation with Armando Iannoucchi' the other day (thanks to this very site) and was interested in something AI said about the people of TDT being all either Jewish (Dave Shneider, Rebecca Front, Patrick Marber) or Catholic (Chris Morris, Steve Coogan, Iannoucchi). I'm not sure where Peter Baynham stands. maybe he is Satan himself.

Here's a partial transcript:

AI: I think we're a Judeo-Catholic conspiracy against the English establishment (laugh)

Interviewer: I think that possibly being brought up in any strict code of belief leads you to question it in comedies the way you are doing

AI: Actually they're very similar... very sort of familial-centric... you know certain laws and rules and so on...

Interviewer: And you bang against that, do you?

AI: Yeah.

Anyway, does anyone think there might be anything to this? Do Jewish/Catholic comedic influences show up in TDT either in the writing or performing or is it all just one big coincidence?

Darrell

Iannucci. Learn it or you go straight to bed without supper.

You've got all the letters right, but they've brought a couple of unwelcome friends along.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "abbot lau"Catholic (Chris Morris, Steve Coogan, Iannucci).
Morris is Catholic? Are you sure? There are plenty of pieces of his work that could be described as blasphemous - the infant Christ section of Why Bother, and saying 'Christ's fat cock' is hardly making him a model Christian. Where have you heard that he is religous, does it say that in the interview?

butnut

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"
Quote from: "abbot lau"Catholic (Chris Morris, Steve Coogan, Iannucci).
Morris is Catholic? Are you sure? There are plenty of pieces of his work that could be described as blasphemous - the infant Christ section of Why Bother, and saying 'Christ's fat cock' is hardly making him a model Christian. Where have you heard that he is religous, does it say that in the interview?

I think they're just refering to their backgrounds and upbringings. CM and AI both went to Jesuit schools I think.

I'd be very surprised if Morris et al were now practising Catholics.

abbot lau

Yup, Morris was born Catholic and educated by Jesuits (in one case by one of the same Jesuits who taught Iannucci).  I would doubt he is particularly observant what with some of the stuff he's done (ever seen the deleted 'pissed Christ' bit from Brass eye?)  

In fact he's probably been railing against the whole Church thing since he was in school. Myself I was taught hebrew by a charming old Rabbi but my dad told me I was lucky as there are some right bastards out there.

(as for my spelling of Iannucci - Mea Culpa but I was nearly there)

Neil

Thjis is a very vague memory re-awoken by the discussion here...I seem to recall some guys being at a party with Morris and Iannucci, and they were big Morris fans so were ear-wigging a bit.  I recall that he was apparently talking to someone about new things that had just been found out about the fossil record, and how this made a mockery of...and then I get hazy...either fundementalism or Christianity in general.